My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

How big is your house?

91 replies

AdultFishcakes · 22/06/2019 13:04

Quick straw poll here as we have the opportunity of buying in a lovely area, lovely schools, good commute etc BUT we would lose approx a third of the size of our house.

We have 4 kids and 2 adults under 6 and the house is 150 sq.m.

Unlikely we will see a decent bargain of its like again.

WWYD?

OP posts:
MrsPworkingmummy · 22/06/2019 20:29

Our current house is 220sq metres; a 5 bed, 300 year old stone detached farmhouse. It's definitely big enough for DH, me amd our two DC, but has a quirky layout so we have sold it. We're moving to a 340sq metre victorian 3 story terraced. It is huge, with beautiful 16 foot ceilings. We are moving to a cheaper city in order to pay off a chunk of our mortgage. Location is key, but a good quality of life is more important. What's the cheapest option OP?

Kyriesmum1 · 22/06/2019 20:40

We are currently in a 5 bed bunglaow but just sold and have brought a five bed house with four reception rooms, study, summerhouse and 2 workshops!!! We currently have 6 children (3 birth, 3 foster) so need the extra space!! So excited x

sweetkitty · 22/06/2019 20:46

No idea of size but we are a family of 6 and have 5 bedrooms, lounge plus large playroom/second lounge which is a godsend. 3 bathrooms, large kitchen/dining room and a large utility room come general dumping ground (best thing I did in there was get wall to ceiling cupboards along one wall, looks all neat and tidy until you open the cupboards).

There’s nothing I would really change maybe slightly bigger rooms but can’t keep on top of the cleaning as it is.

JoJoSM2 · 22/06/2019 20:47

OP, would you be commuting to Guildford or London?

If London, then 100sq m on 450k is achievable not too far away from me. Top top state schools, super safe and family orientated. Zone 5 in London so you’d save thousands on commuting and job opportunities would be great. On the downside, definitely not as pretty as lovely Guildford.

AdultFishcakes · 22/06/2019 21:18

It would be both (for me and DH) but interested as to where you are JoJo as I suspect Barnet?

Either way, it’s a very hard decision as I don’t like moving but have never felt like I have clicked with where I am now but if I clicked with the place but my family ended up hating each other’s guts due to lack of space it would massively upset me

I just hate big decisions and the cost differential is almost negligible hence the space thing

OP posts:
JoJoSM2 · 22/06/2019 22:33

Southern burbs.

It's a very difficult decision. Is your DH a bit undecided too?

BlackeyedGruesome · 22/06/2019 22:50

58-60msquare

or 625-650msquare depening in whether you include the stairs.

Leftielefterson · 22/06/2019 22:53

Home in Wales 4 beds and 2 bathrooms

Home in London 3 beds and 2 bathrooms (significantly smaller in square metres though!)

Cherrysoup · 22/06/2019 22:55

Clueless! 3 double bed semi, 20x10ft kitchen. There’s only me and the dh plus dogs, so more than enough space.

MyOtherProfile · 22/06/2019 22:59

I would really hesitate before moving to a smaller house with 4 kids. As kids get older you need more room so they can have space. It depends on what your current area is like. Do you have a nice community?

Hmmmbop · 22/06/2019 23:16

250sqm (4 double bed, garage and large cellar). Our old house was 90sqm (2 small doubles, box room, rear extension to kitchen). No way could we have had more kids in that house. I think you'd be nuts. Unless your current area is horrendous.

7salmonswimming · 22/06/2019 23:22

I have similar size as you currently, 2DC. Find it too small. It’s the stuff: hobby kit, all season clothes, suitcases, books, clothes, coats, shoes, kitchen paraphernalia, STUFF. We fit everything in but there’s no feeling of space.

We can’t afford more space where we are so are going to buy a weekend/country house. It will have land. It will be at least double the space but cost around a quarter of our current home.

Sforsh49 · 22/06/2019 23:39

Me DH and small DDog in 3 bed 900sqft which is about 85sqm. Would be ok with one child but anymore would be a squeeze (bedroom 3 is tiny and we've turned it into a dressing room as it works for us) Wouldn't consider 6 in just an extra 15sqm unless you can extend at some point!

Vinorosso74 · 22/06/2019 23:49

I have no idea in sqm but it's too small. Two bed flat in converted terrace, living room, kitchen, poky bathroom and small back garden. Two adults, 1 child and 1 cat.

TowerRingInferno · 23/06/2019 00:08

383 m2

2 adults
2 children

It’s probably a little bit too big for our needs. Buying it was a bit of a reaction against being in a house that was far too small for us.

Grumpelstilskin · 23/06/2019 04:06

Our home is large due to having renovated a derelict commercial building, which we did in sections. We have an open plan kitchen and main living space that is about 9 by 16 metres. In the moment, we have about 1,150 square metres living space, office and workshop space, although we might add more space by renovating an adjoining building in a few years if our business expands. We are 2 adults, 2 DC and 4 large dogs. We also have 2 workshop assistants there during the day. It felt quite huge initially after living in a caravan on site for almost 2 years but now it seems normal, especially as we got more equipment for our workshop.

MrsWilkinsonAthome · 23/06/2019 04:17

Bought the house as newly weds. Long since divorced and ds 1 is at uni so if is mostly ds 2 and I.

House is way too big - 350m2 - but we live abroad and Plot sizes and houses are bigger generally than the UK.

Plus 1/3 of that is a basement with a laundry, gym, boiler room, etc so not space we really spend time in.

Think we could happily still get lost and rattle around in a house of 170 square metres.

Expressedways · 23/06/2019 04:40

We have 140 sq metres of 2 bed 2 bath flat. I know because we recently had all the floors refinished and they measured for the quote. We’re 2 adults, 1 toddler and 1 indoor cat. We’ll move to get more space in a couple of years, once we’ve decided on the area (or even country) we want to settle in. I couldn’t do the space OP is considering with 6 people, I think I’d lose the plot!

Dontbestupidagain · 23/06/2019 07:17

300 sq m here and a family of six. Big Victorian terrace with plenty of space for us all
We were in 120 sq m before this. It was far too small for us all.

purplepeppapig · 23/06/2019 07:33

There are two of us, we have three bedrooms and two reception rooms, two bathrooms. It's just right.

Akanishta · 23/06/2019 08:23

That seems small, OP.

Ours is 130 square metres; for me, DH and DD. New build with four bedrooms, but we use the smallest one as an office.

Happyspud · 23/06/2019 08:27

Family of 6. About 3000sqf. It’s wonderful and every inch of the house is used well. Lots of lovely spaces for everyone to have their own peace and quiet because the 4 kids are very close in age.

AdultFishcakes · 23/06/2019 08:37

I mean, this is the kind of thing that’s “in budget” ffs. It’s tiny.

How big is your house?
OP posts:
TheWashingMachine · 23/06/2019 09:44

320 sq m in London. We use all of our house.

Faith50 · 23/06/2019 10:07

Many of you are so fortunate to have such space.

Our tiny home is 659 square foot and 61 square meters. Family of 4.

It was a starter home and 12 years later we are still here! Not enough equity and no savings to upsize. Even if we could move to a bigger home our mortgage would double leaving no money for family days out, car maintenance, house maintenance, children's trips and classes.

We are on top of each other, one 6 by 6 bathroom, one lounge that cannot fit a three piece suite.

I sunk into a deep depression for a few years due to lack of space and our marriage almost broke down. We are happier but can see no way of moving. We spend a lot of time at parks and in our garden.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.