My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

How big is your house?

91 replies

AdultFishcakes · 22/06/2019 13:04

Quick straw poll here as we have the opportunity of buying in a lovely area, lovely schools, good commute etc BUT we would lose approx a third of the size of our house.

We have 4 kids and 2 adults under 6 and the house is 150 sq.m.

Unlikely we will see a decent bargain of its like again.

WWYD?

OP posts:
Silversun83 · 22/06/2019 16:57

Wow, @PJLove80! Presume you have a cleaner?!

Ours is 1400 sq ft approx - 5 bedrooms though a townhouse so not much downstairs space. Have a cloakroom, living room and adjoining kitchen/diner on bottom floor, two large double bedrooms (one ensuite) and a family bathroom on the middle floor and two small bedrooms (one a box) and a large master with ensuite on the top floor.

I do wish we had a bit more downstairs space but we have a 3 year old and 1 year old so they're currently in the two tiny bedrooms on the top floor and we use one of the middle floor bedrooms as a playroom and the other as a guest/study room so we've kind of spread out our 'living' space over two floors. When they're older, they'll have the two bedrooms on the middle floor and make the small rooms into an office and guest room.

Never thought we'd buy a townhouse but wouldn't have otherwise been able to afford as much space or rooms.

fatfluffycushion · 22/06/2019 17:02

Current house 73. 2 square meters , just the two of us with no pets and it's too small , will move to somewhere larger eventually

JoJoSM2 · 22/06/2019 19:02

So you'd go from 150sq m to 100sq m as a family of 6? Tbh, I'd consider your current house a squeeze for a big family. Can't possibly imagine happy living in a much smaller property.

Is there an area with a good commute and otherwise good enough (even if not super lovely) where you could afford at least the same size house?

AdultFishcakes · 22/06/2019 19:09

What’s quite interesting is how the perception of what’s “big” changes from where you are. London friends think the place I’m in at the moment is a whopper. Northern and Irish friends think it’s roomy and big.

Because I’ve a foot in all three camps I can’t mentally divide up what “normal” looks like and also because I grew up on a modern housing estate all the houses were quite well proportioned with decent sized rooms.

That’s why I’m intrigued about square meterage as some folk living in a two up two down could have two of those rooms a whopping 10x10m and others 4x4m... they’d still have the same number of beds IYSWIM

OP posts:
AdultFishcakes · 22/06/2019 19:10

(fucked that previous post right up, Northern and Irish friends think it’s normal, not roomy or big).

OP posts:
PJLove80 · 22/06/2019 19:12

@Silversun83 yes 8 hrs a week and still needs more. However, we don’t have much clutter at all which makes it a lot easier

Pipandmum · 22/06/2019 19:12

Me and two kids, two dogs (two rabbits but they live outside) in 270m2. Only four beds but four reception rooms plus kitchen. One could be a bedroom. Three bathrooms plus a loo. The rooms are big.
We will be downsizing to about 100m2 in a couple years as moving back to London but my son will probably not be with us so could get a two/three bed.
We did live in 140m2 and that felt ok but anything smaller would have felt a squeeze - and that’s just the three of us! But needs must and all that.

fussychica · 22/06/2019 19:12

Well our last house was 5 beds and over 200m2 for 4 of us but now it's a 2 bed around 100m2 as there's just the two of us. Best thing is I no longer have 4 bathrooms to cleanGrin

BuzzShitbagBobbly · 22/06/2019 19:25

How do you all know off the top of your heads the size of your houses in square metres? I have no idea how many metres squared my house is.

Me neither Ralph!
I wouldn't even know where to start. Do you include bay windows? Hallways? Stairs? Front porch?

JoJoSM2 · 22/06/2019 19:31

I'm in London too. House about 3000sq ft and we're happy to have 2 children in it but I'd probably want to convert the loft if we had 3 or 4.

If you don't mind sharing, what's the price of that downsized house?

JoJoSM2 · 22/06/2019 19:32

And what area are you considering moving from and to?

PonderingPanda · 22/06/2019 19:35

4 bed. 3 bathrooms. Kitchen plus 4 more rooms downstairs. Just me and 2 teenagers.

ourmamageddon · 22/06/2019 19:35

approximately medium sized

evilharpy · 22/06/2019 19:41

About 103 sq m going from a floor plan on rightmove of another house on our estate. Three bed terrace. Shower room downstairs, bathroom upstairs. No garage, tiny garden. We only have one child so it’s ok for us.

pregnantandsuffering · 22/06/2019 19:43

Ours is 120sqm - four bed but one is a small box room and another is a conversion downstairs. Eat in kitchen plus two further reception rooms, big garden, two loos and utility room. It's currently me and DP and DSS every other week, but as the username suggests we have a baby on the way. I think we will have about enough space - I wouldn't do it with four DC. Although the rooms are small even though there are a few of them so we couldn't comfortably fit six of us into one room to watch TV etc.

We moved from a much smaller house, and whilst I do love this house very much, I miss the much smaller mortgage and the security that presented to us ...

IamPickleRick · 22/06/2019 19:47

I had three babies in a 2 bedroom flat. I would never ever give up the space I have now.

Can you not buy both.

MrsAmaretto · 22/06/2019 19:54

320 sq meters. Living room, dining room, dining kitchen, craft room, playroom, office, utility, downstairs shower room. 4 beds, 2 large en-suites, bathroom. Room to extend over the double garage. Not moving until the kids have left home!

The downside is it’s in the northern isles, but I couldn’t move anywhere else as I’d be driven crazy by my family. The sitting room in my modern flat in Glasgow was smaller than our current office or craft room.

Maddiemademe · 22/06/2019 19:58

3100 sq ft for myself, 2 dcs and 1 ddog. I am now in a wheelchair so don't use the upstairs myself but the dc have free reign up there. Bit big for us to be honest.

AdultFishcakes · 22/06/2019 20:00

i don’t want to be too outing but fundamentally it’s Woking to Guildford with budget of 450k

OP posts:
Wavingwhiledrowning · 22/06/2019 20:05

I have no idea how big our current house is, or our last one, but we've recently massively up sized. We used to live in a really teeny tiny cottage - the footprint was smaller than our new living room. I really thought with more space everything would be mega, but really, nothing much changes. The DCs still insist on playing around my feet aaaall the time!

As long as its organised and tidy, space isn't a big issue (plus there's less to clean!). We found that spending a bit more on custom made furniture (including getting our sofa made to measure) made a huge difference so we could use the space to its full potential.

Fortheloveofscience · 22/06/2019 20:10

I think I win the the tiniest house award - 59sqm of house plus garage! Just me, DH and bump at the moment though.

But I’ve moved from one that was about 100sqm and that’s a fairly normal-sized semi, isn’t it? So I’m thinking the equivalent of 2 double bedrooms and a box room, not totally sure how you’d fit in 4 children.

AdultFishcakes · 22/06/2019 20:17

if you live in Orkney mrsamaretto I am super jealous it’s gorgeous

OP posts:
AdultFishcakes · 22/06/2019 20:20

yes, where to actually put the children is a dilemma but in our present three bed it’s 2/2/mum and dad.

Again the intention would be to move again when the children hit puberty so the next move would be approx 9 years from now as teens need space

OP posts:
Megan2018 · 22/06/2019 20:24

147sqm
It’s just me and DH with baby due soon, its fine for us but not sure if it’d suit 2 kids. But we are used to space.

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 22/06/2019 20:26

No idea on size but it's a 3 bed mid terrace. Upstairs is fine... But downstairs is a problem (2kids). We have kitchen, living room (apparently a living room and dining room but if there was a dining table the girls would have no where to play), and utility. There is no where to escape to. It's stressful.

About to move to a house with a dining room, study and extra bedroom. And lots of cupboards. Cannot wait. We will have breathing space from each other.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.