My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Can someone suggest a suitable temporary surface for my garden?

3 replies

poppiesinafield · 18/06/2019 19:10

We have nearly finished the garden, the last bit to do which is currently a bare muddy patch with a few stalks of grass is closest to the house, and is completely north facing so never gets any sun and nothing grows. We have decided we would like composite decking there, for various reasons including very difficult access (awkward to get to front and rear of house and don't fancy wheelbarrowing in tonnes of rubble for hardcore etc for slabs). Only thing is that composite decking is really expensive so more than likely will have to wait til next year - that section of the garden is an eyesore though, can anyone suggest a temporary fix until we can deck it??

OP posts:
Laterthanyouthink · 18/06/2019 19:12

Bark chips and some woodland or shade loving plants e.g. ferns, hostas

SciFiRules · 18/06/2019 19:22

I have limited access like you, 70m from the road and with steps to negotiate. I like large (40mm) blue slate chippings. Ground fabric first. Don't go to wikes or the big sheds, on line it's about £80 per jumbo bag or £120 per 1000kg in 20kg bags (easy for transportation on site) -delivered to the kirb.

SciFiRules · 18/06/2019 19:24

We have a local cat infestation so back would be a toilet, the cats don't use the slate.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.