My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Tory drug use - please can someone explain!

33 replies

MrsCatnip · 10/06/2019 07:08

Why are the media coming down so hard on Michael Gove, when several other candidates have admitted taking illegal drugs too?
Personally, I couldn't give a toss what any of them have taken in the past. I don't think that flirting with drugs in your youth is in any way unusual and it's not as if any of them are admitting to a present day drug habit. In fact, while it's not illegal, I think Boris' repeated infidelity renders him equally unsuitable in character for a PM... it's shows him to be a liar and a cheat, which in my mind is worse than occasional drug use 20+ years ago.

OP posts:
Reallybadidea · 10/06/2019 10:14

@Inforthelonghaul

I agree that experimental drug use does not make someone unsuitable for political office. The difference with Michael Gove is that he was using drugs at the very same time as writing opinion pieces in newspapers condemning people who use them. It is not the drug use so much as the hypocrisy and dishonesty, which is every bit as bad as someone cheating on their partner IMHO.

Disfordarkchocolate · 10/06/2019 10:21

I couldn't care less about what MG took years ago, there are many more recent things he's done as a politician which make him an abhorrent person.

The whole hypocrisy about middle-class behaviour with drugs is more annoying, they are fueling crime and they know it.

Mnbb · 10/06/2019 10:25

Out of interest would it affect people’s view of any of the candidates becoming PM if it came to light that one of their kids was into drugs and posted photos of spliffs etc on their social media account?

Do we judge politicians for not being able to ensure their own kids stay within the law? I genuinely can’t decide.

Isatis · 10/06/2019 10:29

I agree that the primary issue here is his sheer hypocrisy given his history of cracking down on people with any history of cocaine use.

I also struggle to understand how taking cocaine several times equates with making "a" mistake, as he claims. Several mistakes, surely?

StealthPolarBear · 10/06/2019 10:54

Korma, I thought that, "in his youth". My calculations suggest he was about thirty!
Agree Boris is Teflon, seems to share that with trump.

MockerstheFeManist · 10/06/2019 11:09

Nicky Morgan put on her ra-ra and picked up her pom-poms for Gove on R4 this morning. She said MG only meant teachers who take drugs whilst actually teaching (in the classroom in front of the kids?) whereas Govey snorted his lines before the idea of being an MP had even occured to him.

I'm not sure that's quite correct.

Reallybadidea · 10/06/2019 11:12

Poor ickle Govey. He just wanted the cool kids to like him.

BoogleMcGroogle · 10/06/2019 12:43

But he has deep, deep regrets ( about getting caught)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.