My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

what IS "streaming music" and why can't I figure it out?

119 replies

vivariumvivariumsvivaria · 03/06/2019 20:09

I like CDs. I know where I am with a CD.

The kids have music on their phones, using up storage and then their phones don't work and I can't get hold of them and it drives me mad because what use is a phone that you can't phone on? What they need is a walkman AND a phone - but they refuse to see the sense in this.

I hear that you can get spotify for a family - an then play it though a speaker and keep playlist on your phone. I have some music (like 6 songs I needed for work stuff) stored on my phone and don't like the apple music app because it's not a CD.

I need to have music on my C25K app or I'll give it up.

I've honestly tried to understand - but, as far as I can tell, as soon as I think I've got it figured out there's a new system.

So, what do you, and will you please tell me so I can copy you?
TIA

OP posts:
Iwantacookie · 03/06/2019 22:00

No I don't get streaming either.
Tried with Amazon and had no songs on there and kept wanting more money to play a song!
Then the cheeky buggers wanted more money just to play in through the dot/echo whatever it is the kids are into!?

I use my mp3 player or the local radio station. That's good enough for me.

tobee · 03/06/2019 22:05

So... I have my music on iTunes. Downloaded and paid for. No streaming service. And I bought the aforementioned £29.99 Dot. Which is (obvs) Amazon. Can I only use it as a Bluetooth speaker? Or are they compatible?

Allhailthesun · 03/06/2019 22:07

I like streaming and we have it for work music.

The only thing about CD, records and cassettes is that’s part of a whole.The weird song you love that never got released or the one you hate you have to skip past.
It’s like reading Sparks notes and knowing seeing it’s a great story without reading the whole book.

It will probably go straight to our brains one day controlled by our mood and emotion at the time.

Cuppa12345 · 03/06/2019 22:15

I want a cookie - that doesn't sound right. Were you paying a monthly fee?

Kimchinoodles · 03/06/2019 22:15

I love streaming i haven't owned a cd for absolutely years and haven't listened to radio in a good while now. It's just like Netflix your paying to access the media rather then own the songs. And the range is amazing, I've found so many small amazing artists from all over the world, that I would of never of found if I was only buying cds.

Iwantacookie · 03/06/2019 22:17

@cuppa no just £79 a year for Amazon prime

RedRiverShore · 03/06/2019 22:20

tobee echo Dot is compatible with the streamed subscription Apple Music but has to be used by Bluetooth with the iTunes music

Cuppa12345 · 03/06/2019 22:22

Yeah amazon prime is a bloody rip off. Only some films and music is free. Spotify or Google play is much better for streaming! They don't even consistently do next day deliv now! Which was the whole point.

SimplySteveRedux · 03/06/2019 22:26

Can I download a whole playlist at home and listen to it without using up my data?

Yes, you will use data once to download it. Once it's on your device, you won't use data.

tobee · 03/06/2019 22:29

Thank you @RedRiverShore !

tobee · 03/06/2019 22:31

So just looking at my iTunes app I see Apple Radio. What would I get out of using that? Is it like internet radio? Or what?

Iwantacookie · 03/06/2019 22:31

@cuppa yes.
We've only got until August left on it then I'm not renewing.

bumblingbovine49 · 03/06/2019 22:54

I am glad someone asked thos. I am obviously far too old as I hanker for CDs and tapes. I stopped listening to almost any music since it all became digital. I just can't cope with all then complications. It never seems to make sense to me and finding a way to play music at home simply seems beyond me nowadays so.I have mostly given up.

As for having music in my car without a cd, that just seems impossible . I just cannot be bothered with all the various bits that seem to be required to make music work from the phone through the speakers, while also using the phone as a sat nav.

The latter is essential to me as I have absolutely no sense of direction and the one piece off technology that has made my life immeasurably easier is sat nav/ Google maps.

bumblingbovine49 · 03/06/2019 23:06

We have a vinyl player now and I am starting to listen to.music again I find the sheer volume of choice on streaming overwhelming.

tabulahrasa · 03/06/2019 23:59

“I just cannot be bothered with all the various bits that seem to be required to make music work from the phone through the speakers, while also using the phone as a sat nav.”

I’ve got a cheap Bluetooth fm transmitter... plays music and turns it down when the phone needs to shout directions at me.

It supposedly does phone calls too, but I ignore that tbh.

megletthesecond · 04/06/2019 06:32

How will I download music once Itunes no longer exists?

Cuppa12345 · 04/06/2019 06:49

You could pay for a subscription to Google play or Spotify etc. It's £10 per month per account, or £15 for a family account. You can then stream songs from the site or download them onto your phone. You need to be connected to WiFi or use your data when streaming or to download, but once downloaded you can listen offline.

RedRiverShore · 04/06/2019 06:54

It looks like that you will still be able to buy and download music but the iTunes will disappear and it will be within a new app, so the app will change, so it looks like it won't all just disappear more a phasing out.

Teacakeandalatte · 04/06/2019 07:34

Thanks Simplysteve

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.