My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

what IS "streaming music" and why can't I figure it out?

119 replies

vivariumvivariumsvivaria · 03/06/2019 20:09

I like CDs. I know where I am with a CD.

The kids have music on their phones, using up storage and then their phones don't work and I can't get hold of them and it drives me mad because what use is a phone that you can't phone on? What they need is a walkman AND a phone - but they refuse to see the sense in this.

I hear that you can get spotify for a family - an then play it though a speaker and keep playlist on your phone. I have some music (like 6 songs I needed for work stuff) stored on my phone and don't like the apple music app because it's not a CD.

I need to have music on my C25K app or I'll give it up.

I've honestly tried to understand - but, as far as I can tell, as soon as I think I've got it figured out there's a new system.

So, what do you, and will you please tell me so I can copy you?
TIA

OP posts:
tobee · 03/06/2019 20:51

Cross posted @FreckledLeopard

But why is it better than iTunes apart from storage? It just strikes me as a thing designed by Apple, Spotify etc to make us pay regularly.

Loads of people must sign up to Netflix etc and hardly use on a regular basis?

vivariumvivariumsvivaria · 03/06/2019 20:53

YOU'VE HAD SPOTIFY FOR TEN YEARS?

Crikey.

I thought it was newish!

How do the musicians make money, then? They get a royalty from spotify/others when their music is streamed/downloaded?

OP posts:
stucknoue · 03/06/2019 20:54

I assume you have a smartphone or tablet? Download Spotify, it's free to download and there's a free version (with ads). If you decide you like it, for £15 a month you get up to five accounts. Try, it's not too scary (I've only had it a few months)

vivariumvivariumsvivaria · 03/06/2019 20:54

Tobee - that's why I didn't bother buying stuff, it took up too much space on the phone.

And, you know, there's always the option of CDs, which take up no storage on the phone at all...

OP posts:
stucknoue · 03/06/2019 20:57

Yes we can Bluetooth to our sound system, also we have echo dots in some rooms. Just a note - if you are streaming you are using data on your phone (if not on home WiFi) so for long journeys it's worth downloading still

RedRiverShore · 03/06/2019 20:57

I would probably try the free trials to get used to it, most do either a free trial or free with ads, Amazon have a limited one free with a Prime if you have that.

Puppylucky · 03/06/2019 20:59

I would just like to add that if you subscribe to Spotify then you can play stuff off WiFi without using data - it's like magic- and very handy!

Puppylucky · 03/06/2019 21:00

And that's without downloading BTW Smile

lljkk · 03/06/2019 21:01

I don't assemble my own playlists (too much work). I have a list of favourites & click the 'shuffle' button to get pieces played in random order. Or I get a craving for Cuban or African pop & find a random album to try out.

I once asked at work what folk listened to. Astonishing answers. "Classical Music for studying" and "cafe drone noises". I seem to be only one tuned into pop music.

SimplySteveRedux · 03/06/2019 21:03

I use tidal for high quality streaming, because fuck streaming crap quality to £££ IEM/Phones. I've used Amazon music, Apple Music and Spotify for normal usage, think Spotify is the best, but I have hundreds of playlists and songs added to my Apple Music library and it would be extremely painful to transfer them!

It's good though, the breadth of accessible music is fabulous.

Dec2019mumtobe · 03/06/2019 21:04

Sold all of my CDs on music magpie maybe 6... years ago? I didn't want the clutter!

Imagine streaming as just a massive jukebox on the internet. You pay your money and play the songs in the jukebox catalogue. You need some form of internet connection to do this (3G, 4g, WiFi)

The only difference to the jukebox analogy is that some services let you download individual songs onto your device. Like if you download a picture from google and save it to your camera roll / gallery!!!

If I want to listen to music in the house, I connect my phone or iPad via Bluetooth to a speaker. Or you can buy a "dock".

I tend to use amazon prime music as I have a prime account and don't want to pay extra for something like Spotify. If I want to listen to a specific song that amazon doesn't have, I will probably YouTube it

SimplySteveRedux · 03/06/2019 21:05

do the song sit in my phone and laptop to be moved to another device or what?

No, it's streamed from the internet in "chunks", it doesn't physically exist on your device unless you download it.

RedRiverShore · 03/06/2019 21:07

I use Apple Music on a HomePod downstairs and 2 Echo Dots upstairs, I just ask either Siri or Alexa to play my favourite playlist or CDs. I have a few downloaded on my phone so I can listen to them on my watch, I wouldn’t be without it now, only place I play CDs is in the car as it is easier to just leave one in there as I only do short journeys

tobee · 03/06/2019 21:08

So which one streaming apps are best everyone? And what is it that makes it good?

woodhill · 03/06/2019 21:08

Yes I prefer cDs or I-tunes. I'm terrible at getting round to using something like that so it would probably be a waste of money. It's minimum of £120 pa.

tobee · 03/06/2019 21:09

Sorry for typos.

Weirdly, I'm just about to set up my new dot this evening! Grin

RedRiverShore · 03/06/2019 21:10

Yes,if you have Amazon prime it is worth using the free one with that.

Michaelbaubles · 03/06/2019 21:10

It isn’t £120 a year if you use the free versions. Spotify free is fine if you’re a light user.

Nat6999 · 03/06/2019 21:11

I've got Google Music, £14.99 per month for family subscription, got nearly 200 albums on my phone, can download as much as I want.

woodhill · 03/06/2019 21:12

Isn't the free version inferior sound and ads?

Is that why vinyl is becoming popular again

SimplySteveRedux · 03/06/2019 21:15

Tidal is the best quality as it streams FLAC but you need high quality gear, be it speakers, headphones, earphones.

Apple/Amazon use 192kbps MP3, fine for normal everyday use. Spotify use 256kbps MP3 so slightly higher quality.

The free versions do stream lower quality files.

RedRiverShore · 03/06/2019 21:15

I pay £99 a year for Apple Music which is a single subscription, family is more expensive if different people want to listen to different songs at the same time

tobee · 03/06/2019 21:15

I thought vinyl was popular again with young people as retro cool. My 20 year old ds says all his friends are into led zeppelin! GrinFortunately, not ds who's favourites are Brian Wilson, xtc and the Beatles Grin

lljkk · 03/06/2019 21:17

I am tone deaf some say... I didn't think free version of Deezer was poorer sound quality, there were just occasional ads to put up with. DD wanted subs to listen offline, so we went with subs.

RosaWaiting · 03/06/2019 21:17

I've probably had Spotify for however long it's been around

OP, there's always a debate about changing income streams for artists with the changes to music - of course the same applies across all media. But I think there are some artists. e.g. Hozier, who think that they did better because of people sharing their music on streaming services.

I'm also nosey about your age, sorry! I'm 43. My 60+ boss has playlists for us at work though.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.