Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AMA

I have a criminal record, hit me

127 replies

Chakras · 14/01/2019 19:23

I have a criminal record that's caused a huge amount of problems in life. So go ahead, AMA

OP posts:
Lougle · 15/01/2019 09:49

If it was 20 years ago, it will be something to do with internet technology.

hannah1992 · 15/01/2019 09:55

Does opening a bank account require a criminal history check? I never knew that. I have had numerous different bank accounts over time and never once consented to a criminal history check and was never asked if they could perform one.

I don't have a criminal record so wouldn't bother me if they did.

Same with credit cards? I thought they did their fraud checks on application. Fraud checks being making sure you are the person opening the account and not trying to open the account in someone else's name.

This sounds strange to me!

HardAsSnails · 15/01/2019 09:59

This sounds strange to me!

Yeah, most odd indeed, on many levels.

Truckingonandon · 15/01/2019 10:23

Always - 😆😆😆

BatShaped · 15/01/2019 10:28

I don't think you have committed the crime of the century here OP and I'm amazed that prison was an option? This wouldn't go that way in this day and age that's for sure.

Just sounds like you were a bit daft and it's a shame it's still having an effect to this day

Err no further questions m'lud Grin

Chakras · 15/01/2019 11:20

Very insightful @Lougle

Yeah @BatShaped . Young and naive. Upon speaking to extended family members after sentencing (my parents refused to talk to me for a couple of weeks afterwards) they thought I was joking that purposely bouncing a cheque was a criminal offence. As I said in an earlier post, I'd thought it would be a civil matter. What pisses me off to this day is that twat owes me 60 grand, and nothing could be done, but bouncing a couple of grand cheque was a criminal offence! Grrrr.

OP posts:
bobstersmum · 15/01/2019 11:25

I don't think you are the criminal we secretly hoped thought you were

BartonHollow · 15/01/2019 11:51

"what pisses me off to this day is that twat still owes me 60 grand"

OP this is your problem. You are holding on to this idea as though it's a fact. It's not a fact and it never was.

You did the work for him on the verbal understanding he would pay, he conned you but you never had a legally binding agreement and he was never going to.

The 60 grand appears to be a sum you have personally estimated not one you agreed upon

He never owed you 60 grand
He does not currently owe you 60 grand

The fact that you have a criminal conviction for defrauding him of 2k and he has no criminal conviction for failing to pay you 60 should tell you this

The problem that you have with this is that you're refusing to let go of the idea that you were morally in the right, and maybe you were but you lost that high ground when you bounced the cheque to get a princely 3% of what you perceived he owed you and called it a victory.

I can't get my head around why you still think this, and are still holding on to it understandable at the time maybe, blame it on your youth but not so much now.

Kittykat93 · 15/01/2019 12:21

You didn't really execute the crime perfectly if you got caught though Grin

Chakras · 15/01/2019 13:48

Err, I did have it in writing tyvm. The issue being he dissolved the companies and re-setup in a different name. Which is completely legal. So he did owe me 60 grand, he still owes me 60 grand, and whilst dissolving a company to avoid people suing it is legal, it's a morally bankrupt thing to do. He didn't just owe money to me, there were many he'd fleeced over about 3 years.

OP posts:
CurlyhairedAssassin · 15/01/2019 18:35

Why isn’t EVERYONE asking what OP purchased with the bounced cheque?! How come you all don’t need to know this as badly as I do? Grin

CurlyhairedAssassin · 15/01/2019 18:36

I mean, I need to know whether the thing you purchased was worth all the hassle afterwards and whether you enjoyed the thing/service you purchased or whether you couldn’t relax because you knew you hadn’t paid for it.

Sparklingbrook · 15/01/2019 18:49

I thought whatever was purchased was a huge secret?

it was technology related, and one aspect was the creation of one of the very first things of the type in the world

DotForShort · 15/01/2019 19:06

Also yeah, I was owed £60k but had nothing in writing (really stupid), so couldn't prove a damned thing.

Err, I did have it in writing tyvm.

How can both of these things be true?

Cauliflowersqueeze · 15/01/2019 19:09
Grin
GoGoGadgetGin · 15/01/2019 19:31

£60k in then money would be £100k plus good money for v young and only 9 months work! Back to my rather crap guessing.. Google was about getting going in 98 was it not? Hmm

Sprinkles212 · 15/01/2019 19:36

Bottom line, you committed an offence, knowingly. What were the mitigating circumstances? That you were owed money?

More to the point, you seem almost proud of the fact that you committed a crime and no it wasn't executed perfectly, because you were caught.

With your cavalier approach, would you ever condone or want for your children to have the a similar criminal record? Which would present the same limitations in life for them...?

Sprinkles212 · 15/01/2019 19:41

A verbal agreement between 2 parties is actually legally binding. Contract requires offer, consideration and acceptance, to bind.

A written agreement isn't necessary for the contract to be legal.

Sparklingbrook · 15/01/2019 19:42

I would imagine a written agreement is easier to prove when it comes to court cases.

Sprinkles212 · 15/01/2019 19:48

A written agreement is always preferred, then there's no ambiguity and all parties know what they're contracting to and have a point of reference.

It is just a common mis-conception (I too thought the same at one time) that you cannot contract verbally, you can and it is enforceable in court, albeit harder to evidence.
In such situations, Courts go by intention and conduct of the parties and then look at the entire event in question in its entirety. You can prove a verbal agreement, then if proven that the agreement has been breached, you can then claim damages

Noonefightslikegaston · 15/01/2019 20:02

Sounds like something I would regret doing! Something really silly to have had to be affected by for the last 20years!

Chakras · 15/01/2019 20:05

I didn't have a contract which is the only thing the bench would consider. I had letters, cards and such saying thanks will pay your £x soon.

The item was the fundamental backbone of a type of website. That is still widely used today, with a few small tweaks.

I built a music website on it and won "Site of the Year" from Musicweek.

I'm not proud no. I'm ashamed and deeply embarrassed, my name was in the local newspaper. If anything the community service instilled a backbone, resolve, determination and aptitude. It was hard work but I came out of it a far better person, something that I'm actually grateful for.

I "bought" something associated with travel.

OP posts:
Noonefightslikegaston · 15/01/2019 20:05

OP, my ex brother in law has just been sent to prison for a sickening crime. I’d like his life to be extremely hard when he comes out of prison.

Can you tell me more about what a criminal record does? Do you have to declare crimes for a certain number of years? Even in jobs that don’t need a CRB check? So job offers can be withdrawn? Why is it hard getting a bank account? How about a mortgage.

His crime is a million times worse than yours by the way!

LadyFlumpalot · 15/01/2019 20:23

I don't get how it's blocking you from jobs, OP? I used to work somewhere that occasionally required Developed Vetting which is the highest in this country (I think). A colleague who had DV was an ex professional car thief who had been caught and done jail time.

Also according to this .gov.uk page your conviction was "spent" a year after your community service was ended and it is illegal not to give you a job based on it unless a check on criminal record suggests you are unsuitable for the role because of it. I struggle to think of any jobs (apart from accounting, lawyer and maybe teaching) that would give that much of a shit about a petty 2k crime over twenty years ago when you were (by your own admission) pretty much still a child.

Ringdonna · 08/02/2019 07:41

I have lots of criminal records; Cliff Richard, Des O’Connor....

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.