Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AMA

I have a criminal record, hit me

127 replies

Chakras · 14/01/2019 19:23

I have a criminal record that's caused a huge amount of problems in life. So go ahead, AMA

OP posts:
ApolloandDaphne · 14/01/2019 21:37

Thing is if you are fairly young you probably won't really get the whole cheques thing. It wasn't as instant as it is now. It took days for cheques to clear so you would go off with your goods but the shop wouldn't have the money until the cheque cleared. Bounced cheques were fairly common if you hadn't organised your funds properly.

honorariam · 14/01/2019 21:37

I don't understand this at all. What did you do? Why is writing a cheque that will bounce illegal? Surely it's just bad luck sometimes?

Please explain. Especially why you were writing them a cheque when they owed you money?

NashvilleQueen · 14/01/2019 21:37

I am lost.

Company owes you £60k
Despite efforts they don’t pay you
You provide them with a cheque on your account for £2k knowing that there are insufficient funds and so it won’t be honoured.
Is that right?
Is that it?
This really doesn’t make sense.

ApolloandDaphne · 14/01/2019 21:38

I think OP was using her own cheques to but goods but she knew the cheque couldn't clear as she had no money in her account.

Sparklingbrook · 14/01/2019 21:40

But how was that exacting revenge?

SlowNorris · 14/01/2019 21:40

I don’t get it either.

1. Who was the cheque written to?
  2. Who was the cheque written by?
  3. Who owned the account connected to the cheque?
  4. What was the criminal part of this?
  5. Other than the tit for tat element, what was the point?
mummyhaschangedhername · 14/01/2019 21:40

I don't understand ... how is bouncing a cheque illegal?

Sparklingbrook · 14/01/2019 21:41

Thanks for asking the questions Slow. i used to work in a bank and i am boggling at all this!

oldowlgirl · 14/01/2019 21:42

None of it makes sense - especially saying you don't regret it when you got caught & it's had a massive negative impact on your life & yet they got off Scott free?

GoGoGadgetGin · 14/01/2019 21:45

If you write then cancel a cheque is that the same? Hmm

NicolaStart · 14/01/2019 21:50

“Apparently it was the act of my making sure the cheque would bounce (aka no money in the account) that was the criminal act.”

Well obviously! If you take £2k worth of goods and deliberately leave them with a cheque that cannot be cashed, knowing they won’t get their payment, how would that not be criminal?

But how did they know you had made sure your account was empty deliberately?

BartonHollow · 14/01/2019 21:53

I find what you did baffling

I understand it

But I don't get why you would do it again

You were caught red handed

You got a petty fraction of what you claim they owed you and I assume you paid that back in fines?

You presumably had no legal employment contract with this person?

You have a permanent record which has massively impacted your life, you did hours of CS

AND YOU'D DO IT AGAIN?

(Apologies if I've cross posted, I was called away)

TooMinty · 14/01/2019 21:55

Surely the crime was theft if you took £2k of goods and didn't pay for them? A cheque is a promise of payment and you didn't keep it if you purposely bounced it.

IHateTrains · 14/01/2019 21:55

So I think this is what happened.
Person A owed you x amount for work you had done.
Person A had another business company B.
You wrote a cheque using companies B's cheque book for yourself which you knew would bounce due to insufficient funds. I guess the fraud element is using someone else's cheque book.

I don't understand why you think you executed it perfectly. You got caught and the other person still owes you. You mention you were high up in your field, but didn't realise that writing a cheque using someone else's cheque book was criminal...

Chakras · 14/01/2019 21:57

I didn't use someone else's cheque book, I used my own.

This person wasn't my employer. I'd be asked to do "bits" here and there and I'd be paid shortly. Except no payment ever materialised.

1. Who was the cheque written to?
  2. Who was the cheque written by?
  3. Who owned the account connected to the cheque?
  4. What was the criminal part of this?
  5. Other than the tit for tat element, what was the point?

1. The company I took the "goods" from. It was something that couldn't be taken back either.

1. Me.

1. Me.

1. Writing the cheque then ensuring it would bounce when presented to the bank by allocating no funds to pay it.

1. Back then, when I was really young, revenge.
OP posts:
NicolaStart · 14/01/2019 21:57

It’s quite obvious, people.

She was owed Loadssmoney.

So, instead of going to small claims court for example, she decided to do a bit of DIY Robin Hooding.

She went to a company owened by her boss.
She got them yo give her money or goods worth £2k
She gave them a cheque for £2k to pay for it.
But knew that her account was empty so she would not be charged for the goods she had.

PoisonButTasty · 14/01/2019 21:58

I think it was OPs chequebook?

Sparklingbrook · 14/01/2019 22:02

So in retrospect the Small Claims Court would have been a far better idea. Or instruct those 'Can't Pay We'll Take it Away ' people off the telly.

'Executed it perfectly' is not what springs to my mind TBH.

FarAwayFromTheMidnightAir · 14/01/2019 22:04

I was reading the other day about some British guy who (supposedly accidentally) had a cheque for a hundred quid or something bounce in the UAE and has now been sentenced to 22 years in prison Confused could be worse!

BartonHollow · 14/01/2019 22:06

But

As Judge Rinder explains ALL THE LIVELONG DAY

If your "contract" to be paid was a verbal one and you had nothing in writing..

You don't have a case

They don't owe you a thing

And you have just committed a crime out of anger that they've mugged you off, but they have not committed a crime.

SlowNorris · 14/01/2019 22:07

I see, thank you for clearing that up.

So you were owed 60k but ended up with 2k worth of goods and a criminal record.

christmasfoof · 14/01/2019 22:09

Do you still have the item?
Again, why don't you regret it? Wouldn't it have made more sense to have written off those nine wasted months than to have written off the rest of your life?

shpoot · 14/01/2019 22:10

Yep. Perfect execution of crime there. Not

mistermagpie · 14/01/2019 22:11

What a weird crime. I also don't really believe you about the job thing, my friend has a drug related conviction but it was over 20 years ago so is spent. She works for the police (not an officer) believe it or not so was subject to higher vetting than most jobs and it still didn't come up. Not sure why your weird crime would?

mistermagpie · 14/01/2019 22:12

Also, why didn't you just say 'oh I didn't know I had insufficient funds'? Back in the day before online banking that would be quite believable.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.