My feed
Premium

Shark CarpetXpert review: the carpet cleaner that has brought my carpets back to life

Despite having smaller water tanks compared to other cleaners available, the Shark CarpetXpert’s effectiveness makes this a worthy contender to add to your cleaning arsenal.

By Rebecca Roberts | Last updated Feb 1, 2024

When you live in a home with floors that are 90% carpet like me, it quickly becomes apparent that you have two boys under the age of four as well as a white haired dog. Stubborn stains, lingering smells of urine and mud trodden in from the garden are regular occurrences in our household. So, you can only imagine how thrilled I was to have the chance to test the Shark CarpetXpert recently.

After all, no matter how much I try to keep on top of the muck on our carpeted floors, no amount of scrubbing on my hands and knees quite matches the results of a powerful, bacteria-killing carpet cleaner.

Naturally, within 10 minutes of delivery, my new Shark CarpetXpert Ex150 Series was unboxed, filled with water and shampoo, and put to work. Between my gleeful gasps and persistent shouts of “look at that” to my DH, I realised I felt my age. Excitement over a carpet cleaner! But you know what, I can finally have carpets that are actually clean and stop worrying about spag bol being chucked during mealtimes by my youngest. So, it’s totally worth feeling thirty something IMO.

Read on to find out exactly how I tested the Shark CarpetXpert Ex150 Series and discover why all the mums at my local playgroup are wanting to borrow it.

Don't miss: we've handpicked the best steam cleaners and best vacuum cleaners that have been tried and tested by MNHQ and that Mumsnet users rate themselves.

Get yours today

Shark CarpetXpert Deep Carpet Cleaner EX150UK

What we like
  • Built-in stain and spot remover

• Fast dry time after use

• Five year guarantee

• Non toxic carpet shampoo included

What we don't like
  • Quite large to store

• Not suitable for wool carpets

• Smaller tank compared to others

• Restricted to Shark shampoo

Key specs

Clean water tank capacity: 2.3 litres | Dirty water tank capacity: 850ml | Weight: 8.3kg | Dimensions: W: 30.5 D: 34.8 H: 111.2 cm | Cord length: 7.6m | Floor types: Carpet | Filter: Foam | Hose length: 1.5m | Guarantee: Five years

Our verdict

When it comes to juggling the chaos of family life in our home, keeping the carpets clean feels like a never-ending battle. Enter the Shark CarpetXpert EX150 Series carpet cleaner - it might be smaller in water tank capacity compared to other carpet cleaners available, but it is definitely big on effectiveness.

After all, size isn’t everything, and this Shark cleaner proves it. Despite its modest capacity for both cleaning and dirty water, this machine packs a punch in cleaning prowess. It has rapidly become my secret weapon that helps me to stay on top of our carpets, effortlessly zapping away dirt, grime, and bacteria.

One standout feature that deserves applause is the built-in hose-cleaning tool. From the sofa to those hard-to-reach spots on the stairs or inside the car, this nifty addition keeps everything in tip-top shape. And is particularly appreciated on days when you don’t have the energy to complete a full clean! The proof is in the slightly disgusting, yet oddly satisfying colour of the extracted dirty water - it’s a visual victory every time, in my opinion. Plus, I’ve found that this Shark cleaner can tackle both hard-wearing carpets and plusher rugs in our home with equal finesse.

Shark CarpetXpert Deep Carpet Cleaner EX150UK

The Shark CarpetXpert doesn't saturate your carpets, meaning dry time is fast

Now, let’s talk about scent. The Shark shampoo pleasantly surprises with its not-too-overbearing fragrance. Although, it’s a shame that you’re restricted to using only Shark products with this cleaner. Owners may wish to choose more readily available carpet shampoos from their local supermarket.

The dry function is a blessing and helps to banish excess moisture, making it bearable to tread on the carpets if necessary—although it’s best to wait until the little ones are elsewhere, unless you want a ‘Don't step there!’ game.

Admittedly, coming from a wireless vacuum, managing the cord during use takes a mental note or two. But it’s hardly a deal-breaker considering the results. Size-wise, it’s large enough to do the job but still conveniently stashes away in my utility cupboard. Setting it up post-unboxing was a breeze—clear instructions for the win.

Related: Find our guide to the best budget vacuum cleaners here

Now onto the capacity. While it’s a champ in cleaning, the smaller dirty tank means more frequent emptying, especially when covering larger areas. It’s the one downside that drops a star in my book.

Final thought: in a nutshell, for those of you searching for a more compact yet powerful carpet cleaner to conquer daily messes, the Shark CarpetXpert EX150 Series deserves a spot in your cleaning arsenal.

Shark CarpetXpert: how we tested

• A month of testing at home

• Cleaned the carpets, my sofa, inside my car and also a pram

• Tested both the brushroll and handheld hose cleaning tool

• Tested at night and in the morning to compare drying times

Since unboxing the Shark CarpetXpert, it has been used probably three times a week minimum in our home. Within half an hour of opening it up and adding the water and carpet shampoo, I’d cleaned half of our open plan living/dining room while the kids scoffed their tea at the table.

Read next: The best robot mops for hands-free cleaning

Shark CarpetXpert Ex150 Series

The culprit for all the white hair on our carpets

I’ve used the brushroll to tackle the carpets in our main living area as well our eldest’s bedroom. Admittedly, I’m yet to clean our youngest’s nursery and our master bedroom upstairs - but this is mainly due to logistics and trying to fit cleaning sessions between nap times. The handheld has been used in our car boot to clean up some mud after a recent winter walk, and the stairs are looking impeccable these days.

Related: Our guide to the best robot vacuum cleaners for your home

I even went as far as cleaning our rug at different times of the day to see how long it would take to dry. Unsurprisingly, it took longer to dry during the night - but that’s mostly due to the fact we whack the heating up on a morning for 15 minutes or so, so it lasts all day.

Shark CarpetXpert: what’s in the box?

• Main Shark CarpetXpert body

• Tough stain hand tool

• Reversible bristles (two sizes)

• Crevice tool

• Hose-cleaning tool

• 355ml Deep Clean Pro Formula

The Shark CarpetXpert EX150 Series is an ‘out of the box’ cleaning solution - you’ll receive everything you need to get started almost immediately. The carpet shampoo is included, and thanks to the built-in hose cleaning tool, you can tackle your carpets and any stains in your way with ease from the get-go.

Shark CarpetXpert EX150 Series

The hand-held cleaning tool secures to the main cleaner

Shark CarpetXpert EX150 Series

Shark's deep clean solution is included - but you're not able to use any other brands

The downside is that, once the cleaning formula has run out, you’re restricted to Shark only products. This might put you off if you’re looking for a carpet cleaner that can use supermarket shampoos that are more easily available - and more affordable.

Read next: The best cordless vacuum cleaners, tried and tested

Shark CarpetXpert: how easy is it to assemble?

Very easy. The main body of the carpet cleaner comes intact. So, all you need to do is:

• Insert the pole into the top until it clicks into place

• Store the hose-cleaning tool by clipping it onto the pool

• Attach your chosen hand tool to the crevice tool

• Make sure that the rubber seal is seated in place under the dirty water tank

• Install the dirty water tank and then fill your water tank with water and your cleaning solution

Lastly - this might be obvious - but you do need access to a mains plug for it to work.

Shark CarpetXpert

Clear instructions are included on how to setup the cleaner

Shark CarpetXpert

It's very easy to switch between the brush roll bar and the hand-held tool

Shark CarpetXpert: how does it look?

Like… A carpet cleaner. I mean, the main body of the cleaner is blue with grey and orange accents. It’s not outlandish, and as it’s smaller than other carpet cleaners, it sits neatly in my utility cupboard next to my vacuum without getting in the way or taking up too much space.

Shark CarpetXpert

The design of the carpet cleaner isn't garish

Shark CarpetXpert

The colours complement each other, and the orange accents are a nice colourful touch

Shark CarpetXpert: what’s it like to use day-to-day?

I’ve not used it daily as there hasn’t been a need to. Using the Shark CarpetXpert is more of a once or twice weekly thing, I’ve come to realise. Otherwise you’re dodging carpets all week - and with two small children, that’s virtually impossible. So, I’ve set myself a schedule to use it weekly in different rooms - that way each room is done at least once a month. And I mean, a full cleaning.

For spot cleans, it’s handy to pull out after tea time to suck up the spaghetti bolognaise my youngest likes to chuck across the room. Oh, and the spilled cups of juice on my sofa.

Related: Our guide to the the best floor mops of all time

Shark CarpetXpert: how effective is it at cleaning?

For me, personally, it is very effective. Not only has it actually deep cleaned my grey carpets throughout the home, but they look brand new. And so is my seven year old cream IKEA rug (you can imagine the colour of that dirty water afterwards… Ugh…).

Clean carpet to the left of me, dirty carpet to the right (here I am...)

Shark CarpetXpert

The hand-held cleaning tool in action

Shark CarpetXpert: how easy is it to clean?

As easy as you’d normally expect when cleaning a vacuum/carpet cleaner, to be honest. I’ve not yet had to clean the brushroll, but judging by the instructions included, all you need to do is remove the outer cover, lift the inner cover then remove the brushroll.

If hair is wrapped around the brushroll - which in my house is inevitable - you simply cut away with scissors, then rinse and air dry before reinstalling.

Just LOOK at the colour of that water, bleurgh...

The dirty water tank is very easy to empty and clean. If it becomes too full during use, the cleaner will stop and a blue light will notify you that the tank is full. All you need to do is press the release button to remove the tank, then remove the lid and discard its contents. I’d recommend pouring it down the loo! Then, clean the tank with soap and warm water.

To clean the filter, which I’ve not yet done, it’s also a case of removing it and washing with soap and warm water, and finally letting it air dry.

Related: The best cylinder vacuum cleaners for powerful cleaning

About the author

Rebecca Roberts is a writer, editor, and content marketing expert hailing from Leeds. Here at Mumsnet, she commissions, writes, and edits to bring parents content designed to make life easier. Having birthed two DC just 15 months apart, she knows all too well how stressful it can be trying to keep on top of cleaning at home. So, she's fully invested in finding the best cleaning solutions for families.

Beyond her role as an editor here at Mumsnet, Rebecca can be found balancing life as a working mum of two toddlers and when she’s not at her desk, you’ll likely find her at a local playgroup, in a nearby coffee shop, or walking the dog.

About Mumsnet Reviews

All Mumsnet product reviews are written by real parents after weeks of research and testing. We work hard to provide honest and independent advice you can trust. Sometimes, we earn revenue through affiliate (click-to-buy) links in our articles. However, we never allow this to influence our coverage.

All prices correct at time of publication