How do I cancel my Amazon Prime subscription?
Signed up to a free trial so you could get some Prime Day deals or just don't want to continue paying for the membership service? Whatever your reasons for stopping your Amazon Prime subscription, follow this simple step by step guide to cancel
What is Amazon Prime?
Amazon Prime can be a wondrous service, giving you access to a bevy of benefits such as free next-day delivery, free music, books and video streaming. There are a lot of reasons to sign up to the program but everything comes at a price (£7.99 a month to be precise).
How easy is it to cancel Amazon Prime?
Whether you are a long-standing Prime member or you've just signed up for a free trial, you can cancel your subscription at any time with no penalties. You will need to see out the subscription to the end of the current month, but once you have cancelled you won’t be billed again. Cancelling your subscription is a relatively pain-free process but there are a few steps you need to follow.
How to cancel Amazon Prime
Amazon does have a very thorough guide to cancelling your subscription, but here's the essential info:
1. You will need to go to the Amazon Prime Management hub where you will be asked to log in to your account if you haven't already.
2. Depending on whether you are a paid Prime member or just enjoying the free trial, you will be presented with two options:
- Paid Prime members: On the left-hand side of the page you will be presented with an option to “End membership”, click this link.
- Free trial members: On the left-hand side of the page you will be presented with the option “Do not continue your free trial”, click this link.
3. Once you have clicked either “End membership” or “Do not continue your free trial” you will be brought through to a new landing page. This page will try and convince you to stick with Prime by reminding you all of the great benefits (sigh). If you want to continue with your cancellation, click “I do not want my benefits”.
4. If you are a paid Prime member you will be presented with the option of cancelling your membership immediately or at the end of the subscription period.
- Note: If you choose to end your subscription immediately you may be eligible for a partial refund based on your usage. The choice is up to you but know that either way you will be ending your membership, and will not be charged again.
If you are a free trial member and click to cancel, you will still be able to use Prime until the end of the trial period, but the subscription will not renew after that so you will not start paying for a full subscription.
- Note: If you do not cancel your subscription before the end of the free trial period, you will automatically be put on a paid membership for £7.99 a month or £79 a year – so it's worth setting yourself a reminder (or cancelling the renewal straight after you sign up) to ensure there aren't any surprises on your bank statement next month.