Call for Evidence - Freedom of Expression

(29 Posts)
ArabellaScott Tue 05-Jan-21 21:59:28

- deadlne extended to 31st of January.

Thought some here might like to respond, given that feminists are finding themselves at the cliff face of this issue lately.

committees.parliament.uk/call-for-evidence/307/freedom-of-expression/

OP’s posts: |
Imnobody4 Wed 06-Jan-21 09:22:23

I'm going to get down to write it next week. Am gathering evidence at the moment. Ofcom seems to have provided valuable evidence in the last few weeks. Also Kate's acquittal, the campaign's to get people sacked or removed from Twitter, the hounding of WPUK meetings and Posie's Speakers Corner not being considered a 'political protest'.

ArabellaScott Wed 06-Jan-21 10:12:53

Great stuff, highame. There's so much involved in this.

Faircop's history/work might also be useful - anyone who has been contacted by the police due to things they've said/written. Anyone who has lost work due to things they've said. Kathleen Stock's recent list on Twitter of academics who've faced problems, too.

In Scotland there's been a fair bit of discussion on freedom of speech - there's hte 'Free to Disagree' campaign, I think that's a church backed group.

OP’s posts: |
OhHolyJesus Wed 06-Jan-21 10:20:19

The House of Lords also have a consultation out due on 15th.

https://committees.parliament.uk/call-for-evidence/312/freedom-of-expression-online/

They are different but overlap so maybe not to hard to work from existing material IYSWIM.

LindaRogers6901 Wed 06-Jan-21 10:43:53

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Manderleyagain Wed 06-Jan-21 13:11:26

Thanks I am plsnnijng to submit. It's great they extended the deadline.

oldwomanwhoruns Sat 30-Jan-21 08:25:01

We have today & tomorrow to submit for this one. I'm trying to write this now. Does anyone have a template or suggested submission? I don't know where to start
TIA

Advertisement

OhHolyJesus Sat 30-Jan-21 08:39:53

@oldwomanwhoruns I'm doing a quick one tonight - think it's only 7 questions? DM me and I'll send you something.

Manderleyagain Sat 30-Jan-21 11:45:11

If you fear for your employment or whatever if you were to talk about this in your own name then you should tell them.

The question on universities - if you have been watching that you could give examples of academics being no platformed, harassed, needing extra security, Julie bindel physically attacked at edinburgh uni etc.

I am including examples who are not to do with the gender issue too but I've been watching free speech for a while (that's how I became aware of this issue).

Police over-reach, non crime hate incidents, etc.

Just some ideas. I better get on with it!

Manderleyagain Sat 30-Jan-21 11:45:47

You don't have to answer all the questions. I think they are just pointers.

Imnobody4 Sat 30-Jan-21 11:51:26

I've stressed freedom of speech is also the right to listen and used the experience of WPUK meeting rooms cancelled at last minute etc. The fact people I follow on Twitter have been banned.

ScrapThatThen Sat 30-Jan-21 12:00:41

I don't know anything about this person but sacked for having a Parler account?

www.spiked-online.com/2021/01/28/cancelled-for-having-a-parler-account/?fbclid=IwAR1XIMXS5pktAzy44NcMIh2RtbzoIn7YRwsr5csi6d4-GoSWsLfyvrBdNLk

MerchedCymru Sat 30-Jan-21 12:12:39

Doing ours now. Did Standards in Public Life yesterday. Luckily for us, the toilets one is England only. Hoping to start the children's MH one next week. I used to have a life (I think).

Incidentally, Kathleen Stock's submission is already published - link on the first page of the consultation under 'publications'. That'll inspire you.

Anyone else wondering if the responses to this deluge of consultations actually influence the outcomes? Would be cheering to think so but we're all a bit cynical being wimmin and all.

ahagwearsapointybonnet Sun 31-Jan-21 10:06:26

Was going to do this one today as yesterday was quite busy, but it is saying it has closed? I know the end date was extended to today, but aren't they usually set to close just before midnight on the last day rather than first thing? (Possibly a mistake?).

Signalbox Sun 31-Jan-21 10:58:22

That’s annoying. Presumably last day was yesterday. Serves me right leaving things to the last minute!

Imnobody4 Sun 31-Jan-21 11:42:36

What! I could have sworn the deadline was 11.45 pm. I might have got it wrong but it's not 11.45 am yet. Damn, think I' send what I've written to my MP.

ChickenonaMug Sun 31-Jan-21 11:59:26

I checked yesterday to see if there was a consultation closing time. I couldn’t see one anywhere which implied to me that it would be near the very end of the day as usual.

Imnobody4 Sun 31-Jan-21 12:22:16

I've sent an email querying what's happened to
jchr@parliament.uk

MichelleofzeResistance Sun 31-Jan-21 12:27:39

May be worth mentioning in queries that women are currently dealing with a carpet bombing of consultations they need to participate in in attempt to protect their rights being harmed and rolled back in law.

It's becoming exhausting, there are multiple overlapping ones, all at the same time, and people have lives. Being able to defend ones rights under law should not depend upon having the luxury of time and nothing better to do to keep up with all this.

2Rebecca Sun 31-Jan-21 12:39:18

https://committees.parliament.uk/call-for-evidence/307/freedom-of-expression/

2Rebecca Sun 31-Jan-21 12:41:47

That is appalling. If they extended the date until today they should be taking submissions until midnight today. There is no info on where to send submissions

SugarPlumElf Sun 31-Jan-21 13:11:31

I've just finished mine – it was a LOT of work, and now I can't submit it! What's going on?

*I've sent an email querying what's happened to
jchr@parliament.uk*

I shall email this address too.

SugarPlumElf Sun 31-Jan-21 13:13:21

Kind of ironic, by the way, for a freedom of expression inquiry.

ChoosandChipsandSealingWax Sun 31-Jan-21 17:55:52

Bloody hell I just went to submit my submission and it's CLOSED!!!! I am SO annoyed - the deadline was today, and it didn't state a time!

SugarPlumElf Sun 31-Jan-21 18:19:45

Probably best to email submissions to jchr@parliament.uk asking for them to be included.

Then we will have met the deadline.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in