Talk

Advanced search

The awful trend on Twitter

(499 Posts)
imhereforthesanity Mon 14-Sep-20 19:29:15

Hi, I don't post often, but I've seen the awful twitter trend today in regard to J K Rowling, I just feel so scared and defeated about women's rights, why are more people not up in arms and defending us? I also fear for her and women's safety, as some of these TRA's seem really unhinged.

OP’s posts: |
SoManyActivities Mon 14-Sep-20 19:32:47

I saw that today, its fucking sick. What is wrong with people?

ChaChaCha2012 Mon 14-Sep-20 19:33:21

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Queenoftheashes Mon 14-Sep-20 19:33:53

Cites a deleted post.

SunsetBeetch Mon 14-Sep-20 19:34:21

Cites a deleted post.

Finfintytint Mon 14-Sep-20 19:34:49

Chachacha, can you provide a link?

Finfintytint Mon 14-Sep-20 19:35:31

No, didn’t think so.

deFleury Mon 14-Sep-20 19:36:17

I certainly don't wish harm on anyone, but

That but is very telling.

notyourhandmaid Mon 14-Sep-20 19:36:56

It's absolutely disgusting.

P*nkNews and their weird obsession with stirring up hate against her - well-intentioned people just can't see how invested they are in hating women (who have typed things which can be misrepresented). People in governments who are responsible for allegedly transphobic legislation etc don't get this much hate. Actual murderers do not get this much hate. But then again 'literal violence' is now anything you want it to be, except literal violence.

Enough4me Mon 14-Sep-20 19:36:58

I can't imagine JKR
generalising like that, was she referring to specific people?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 14-Sep-20 19:37:21

I think you can report twitter trends that are problematic - of course it will be ignored though.

SunsetBeetch Mon 14-Sep-20 19:37:30

I sincerely doubt JK Rowling's career is over. Sad little twitter users with their sad little lives need to get out more.

WeeBisom Mon 14-Sep-20 19:37:55

Is this to do with the plot of her new book? Where a man dresses up as a woman to kill women? I don't think JK Rowling is making any grand point about trans people. Isn't this just a classic trope, like Silence of the Lambs, or Psycho?

WineGummyBear Mon 14-Sep-20 19:38:08

I almost don't dare ask. JKR has been so measured and so brave. What fresh nightmare is this

SoManyActivities Mon 14-Sep-20 19:39:28

WineGummyBear

I almost don't dare ask. JKR has been so measured and so brave. What fresh nightmare is this

Kind of don't even want to type it out, but

#ripjkrowling is trending on Twitter today.

imhereforthesanity Mon 14-Sep-20 19:39:35

But I don't think she has done that at all, she has highlighted that women are at risk form men, how are we supposed to know who is a lovely trans women and who is a predatory man that might men us harm. Why cant we all be campaigning for a third space. And in all honesty, seeing the sort of things being voiced on twitter in recent month, I'm really not sure that I was to share my space when I am showering and getting changed with the twitter lot, they seems young, unhinged and dangerous, and why should biological women have to compete with biological men. I think she put her had above the parapet to say we want to have a more debate about it, its a shame more people in the public eye aren't doing the same

SunsetBeetch Mon 14-Sep-20 19:41:02

WeeBisom

Is this to do with the plot of her new book? Where a man dresses up as a woman to kill women? I don't think JK Rowling is making any grand point about trans people. Isn't this just a classic trope, like Silence of the Lambs, or Psycho?

Apparently so.

www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/09/14/is-jk-rowling-dead-heres-why-ripjkrowling-is-trending-on-twitter/amp/

TRAs completely misrepresented issue surrounding a trans character in an earlier book, and tried to spread some shite about the pen name Robert Galbraith, so forgive me if I reserve judgement until I actually read the book.

imhereforthesanity Mon 14-Sep-20 19:41:11

I did't post a link to it, but basically it #RIPJKRowling, and there are thousands tweeting it

notyourhandmaid Mon 14-Sep-20 19:41:40

ChaChaCha2012

I'm concerned about J K Rowling's crude stereotyping of transpeople as sex offenders and murderers. I certainly don't wish harm on anyone, but when you share and perpetuate such abhorrent views, you have to expect a negative reaction.

Yes. If she'd actually done that, you might have a point, but she hasn't.

Unless you are suggesting that (fictional) murderers who disguise themselves and may use clothes typically associated with women, for obvious nefarious purposes rather than to express their inner sense of themselves, fall under the 'trans umbrella'? In which case we should all be very worried about that, no?

AndNowItsHappeningInMine Mon 14-Sep-20 19:42:58

I haven't seen the latest truckload of shit being thrown at JKR, but I absolutely admire her resilience and stamina, and I am in awe of her for never backing down like so many others have.
She's fucking awesome.

imhereforthesanity Mon 14-Sep-20 19:43:00

@WeeBisom oh I didn;t know that she was writing a book and thats the subject matter - I think if I was her I'd leave that one well alone at the moment !

Kit19 Mon 14-Sep-20 19:43:45

Ah the ‘kind’ side strike again 🙄🙄

They really really really hate they can’t cancel her don’t they

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 14-Sep-20 19:45:24

There have been cross dressing serial killers and there have been a lot of cross dressing sex offenders.
Are we supposed to pretend this never happens and therefore detective novelists mustn’t ever use it for a plot?

BaronessWrongCrowd Mon 14-Sep-20 19:47:37

ChaChaCha2012

I'm concerned about J K Rowling's crude stereotyping of transpeople as sex offenders and murderers. I certainly don't wish harm on anyone, but when you share and perpetuate such abhorrent views, you have to expect a negative reaction.

Do you have any evidence to back up that statement?

LizzieSiddal Mon 14-Sep-20 19:48:09

That is truly awful. Poor JK.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in