Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone else hear this on The Unbelievable Truth?

(23 Posts)
GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal Mon 22-Jun-20 18:45:33

On R4, David Mitchell introducing Frankie Boyle: "Frankie, your subject is women. Women are adult female human beings."

shockshockshockshockshockshockshockshockshockshockshockshockshockshock

You can't say that on the BBC David!!

Someone on that show must be on our side. grin

OP’s posts: |
whensmynexthol1day Mon 22-Jun-20 18:49:02

There was quite a good segment on the news quiz (r4) on Saturday which also acknowledged both sides of the argument in a way that didn't actually make my blood boil! Hopefully signs the tide is turning.

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal Mon 22-Jun-20 21:23:18

News Quiz finished recently, which episode was it?

I'm still very chuffed that, on a show all about telling truth from lies, they categorically stated that women are adult human females.

I wonder if they've had complaints?

Helmetbymidnight Mon 22-Jun-20 21:26:46

thats interesting, esp because frankie boyle is very unsympathetic to feminist concerns..,was it said as a jokey wind-up to him perhaps?

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal Mon 22-Jun-20 21:28:01

Didn't seem to be. Said very matter-of-factly.

Helmetbymidnight Mon 22-Jun-20 21:29:11

excellent!

JemimaShore Mon 22-Jun-20 21:45:03

Excellent!

One of the sketch shows covered JK Rowling - which I thought was pretty brave! I can't decide whether it was a bit silly, or really clever to be able to cover it at all.

www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000k2cj

Fast forward to 9:50

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Tue 23-Jun-20 08:06:23

"Hopefully signs the tide is turning" - let's hope so @whensmynexthol1day 🙌👍

yetanotherusernameAgain Tue 23-Jun-20 09:12:20

I think it's part of the format that the presenter defines the subject that the panellist is about to talk about, ie gives a dictionary definition.

thethoughtfox Wed 08-Jul-20 16:39:10

Which episode is it ?

AdultFishcakes Wed 08-Jul-20 19:46:36

thethoughtfox

Which episode is it ?

Try this; should work (on the BBC Sounds App)

www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000kmk3

AdultHumanFemale Wed 08-Jul-20 23:26:42

If only! At 13:44;
"Next up is Sarah Pascoe. Sarah, your subject is Men; adult male human beings. Fingers on buzzers."
Frankie's subject was Experiments.
I listened to it while washing up and thought "Well, I've always liked David Mitchell." But I'm not surprised, given his connection with Robert Webb.

BobbieDraper Wed 08-Jul-20 23:29:15

When the unbelievable truth introduce a topic to a panelist, they read out the dictionary definition of the topic. Until the dictionary definition changes, that will be what they use.

I dont think it's quite as political a statement as some people want to make it out to be.

SerenityNowwwww Wed 08-Jul-20 23:30:48

I was listening to a BBC podcast the other day (a factual show) and heard someone say something like ‘man - adult male human’. I almost fell off my chair.

AdultHumanFemale Wed 08-Jul-20 23:34:33

Whoa! Just spotted that the OP is from June, and apologies OP, you're right! We both are grin He did it twice, Women in Episode 1 and Men this week. Ha ha!

AdultHumanFemale Wed 08-Jul-20 23:51:34

Bobbie, I like to think it's a coup, and it's irreproachable, as the dictionary definition is, as you say, always used. With the dictionary definition of Woman being so inflammatory, this is a perfect frame for broadcasting it during prime listening time. A little nod to frustrated GC feminists everywhere. After all, it is all about surreptitiously smuggling facts...
I'd love to think it's not a coincidence; RW totally gets it, and I can't imagine that the two of them haven't had this convo. I can imagine RW saying "Go on, Dave, it's all very well you agreeing with me here over a coffee in my front room. I've stuck my neck in the line for years, and it's about time you stepped up! I dare you..." grin
Twice in a month isn't chance.

thirdfiddle Thu 09-Jul-20 00:30:57

Ah here you are smile

Yes I heard the men one on the radio episode 4 and did a double take thinking hmm, that was a bit close to a statement of fact, wouldn't get away with that for women - then DH was listening to ep 1 and they already had. grin

So maybe revise it to wouldn't get away with that if you were female...

Oh, has RW spoken up too?

thirdfiddle Thu 09-Jul-20 00:35:53

Yes, it is clever. Can't argue with it. If anyone even tries, they have to provide an alternative definition, which we all know they can't.

BlackeyedSusan Thu 09-Jul-20 00:48:42

Unbelievable: Truth!

W=AHF

MotherForkinShirtBalls Thu 09-Jul-20 01:02:03

I just posted this on the other thread, but Sara Pascoe, wokest of wokesters, seemed very clear on the differences 🤯

Destroyedpeople Thu 09-Jul-20 01:05:36

I do like Mitchell. So dry and funny. Plus he and VCoren must have really amusing dinner parties...

thirdfiddle Thu 09-Jul-20 01:09:49

Sorry for the thread confusion- I did search but apparently there are many threads about David Mitchell and MN search always seems to go for the 10 yr old ones first.

Jullyria Thu 09-Jul-20 03:07:58

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in