Talk

Advanced search

Single sex toilets for men, and mixed sex.....nothing for women only.

(92 Posts)
centrifugal Fri 26-Jul-19 12:34:03

My local town has installed a set of public toilets; men, and mixed. Nothing for women. I called up to question it/complain, and got a man who got cross and defensive, telling me that men who 'just want to spend a penny' (they are urinals only) use them, and save adding to the queues. So, men can jump the queue, women have to wait with anyone else who wants access to the mixed loos.
Does anybody know if this is allowed? It seems so wrong.

TheInebriati Fri 26-Jul-19 12:36:10

This is discrimination on the grounds of sex, belief and religion, and prohibited by the Equality Act. It places women at a disadvantage compared to men, and some women wont have access to toilets at all.

RosaWaiting Fri 26-Jul-19 12:38:45

how are the mixed loos set up? Are they fully self contained?

centrifugal Fri 26-Jul-19 12:40:00

Oh, I should have added that they are individual stalls blush so only one occupant at a time, but still, why make extra for men!? Why not have another mixed one?

Fraggling Fri 26-Jul-19 12:41:05

This is unthinking appalling sexism.

Womens needs have simply not been considered.

Really angering. I had similar Europe recently the gents could piss for free women had to pay. Justification would be well obviously cubicles more expensive to upkeep than urinals. But result is, women have to pay more, possibly get caught short if no change, remember to take change, women more often have kids with them so that's more money etc etc

It's the outcomes that need to be measured. Women have larger queues and reduced privacy from men. Men have no queues and privacy from women.

The acceptance of this as womens lot, needs to end.

That they are building new stuff like this is fucking ridiculous.

Fraggling Fri 26-Jul-19 12:42:59

Centrifugal do the stalls all contain sanitary bin, hand wash and dry?

To be valid under law they need to fully enclosed and contain hand washing.

Sanitary bins for practical reasons.

RosaWaiting Fri 26-Jul-19 12:46:06

of course they're individual stalls - but do they have the sink and the sanitary bin inside, behind the door? That's the important bit.

centrifugal Fri 26-Jul-19 12:46:07

I didn't go in, turns out I can hold a wee out of pure spite and indignation for a long time!
I think that they probably do have sanitary bins, but it's the fact that men get a perk, and women nothing. As. Per. Fucking. Usual.

GCAcademic Fri 26-Jul-19 12:50:30

The stalls do not need to have the sink inside them. They do, however, need to be fully enclosed, no gaps between floor and ceiling:

www.hse.gov.uk/construction/healthrisks/welfare/toilets-and-washing.htm

Whosorrynow Fri 26-Jul-19 12:55:17

This is outrageous and unbelievable!

Iambouddica Fri 26-Jul-19 13:00:06

Where is this OP can you give us the details of your local council? I think lots of us need to make the council aware of their unthinking crassness. They might be surprised how many people might ‘just have been passing’ through your local town...

centrifugal Fri 26-Jul-19 13:03:41

North norfolk council. It's the toilets in cromer, on the front. I spoke to Russel Tanner, I'm sure he would love a few more uppity women on his line grin

BatShite Fri 26-Jul-19 13:04:43

Our local leisure centre changed the womens loos to 'all genders' and left the mens as they were. Was like that for a whole day before they were overran with complaints and it went back to normal. Why on earth they think this is acceptable, I don't know.

RavenTitan Fri 26-Jul-19 13:07:31

I have noticed this in Cromer too when we were on holiday there and was pretty baffled by the decision not to have one female only cubicle aswell.

Fraggling Fri 26-Jul-19 13:08:17

GC that link is about facilities for construction workers?

Are they the same as for council provision for the public?

I thought couldn't have just a normal room with cubicles in and shared sinks and have it mixed?

centrifugal Fri 26-Jul-19 13:11:34

Russel wouldn't log my complaint, I have to email him. Can anyone with good articles, or links to laws on the subject please help to enlighten him?
Russel.tanner@north-norfolk.gov.uk

TailsoftheManyPaws Fri 26-Jul-19 13:24:03

It's the same on the seafront in Sheringham, as far as I can see (I thought I'd just gone even more shortsighted than usual while bumbling along past men's, disabled, parent and child, etc, etc, saying 'So where's the Ladies, then? Have I gone past it?')

Actually, given my memory and geography, maybe I was in Cromer.

Hopoindown31 Fri 26-Jul-19 13:34:31

Get a she-wee and use the urinal!

TurboTeddy Fri 26-Jul-19 13:34:37

womansplaceuk.org/gender-neutral-toilets-dont-work-for-women-2/

fairplayforwomen.com/equality-act-2010_womens-rights/

These two links might be useful. Have alook at the FPFW link under the "public sector equality duty" section (it's quite a way down the page) . Your council needs to be able to provide an EIA, the criteria for EIA are outlined in the para I mentioned above. I'd start by asking for that. Might require a FOI request.

There's another poster here who is very well versed in the provisions and requirements of the EA 2010, maybe she'll see your thread and have better suggestions.

GCAcademic Fri 26-Jul-19 13:37:40

Fraggling - sorry, it’s the wrong link. The HSE seem to have changed their website and I’m finding it hard to navigate. You can have shared (for both sexes) basins in the same room, outside the toilet cubicles, as long it’s just for hand washing. Workplaces where more extensive washing is required have to provide separate facilities.

Here are the correct links:

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1992/3004/regulation/20/made

and paragraph 3 of the following:

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1992/3004/regulation/21/made

buttertoasty Fri 26-Jul-19 14:07:17

Going to send a complaint for you OP

buttertoasty Fri 26-Jul-19 14:12:36

OP is there baby change in the mixed toilets?

Fraggling Fri 26-Jul-19 14:13:59

Links don't work!

This means they are all fine to change the ladies to everyone, and leave the mens as mens then, no probs :/

Great.

EverardDigby Fri 26-Jul-19 14:16:11

There are out of hours "unisex" toilets in Old Hunstanton, but I didn't go in to check if they were cubicles or enclosed rooms, I just thought there's no bloody way I'm going in those late in the evening with hardly anyone around. I saw it somewhere else asking there too. Obviously a widespread change along there.

Fraggling Fri 26-Jul-19 14:17:12

They are simply not thinking of women and our specific needs / vulnerabilities at all.

Man as default strikes back.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »