Talk

Advanced search

The ReSisters movement is growing...

(85 Posts)
LiverpoolReSisters Sat 05-Jan-19 22:11:16

2018 saw the start of grassroots feminist groups springing up around the country.

2019 is not slowing down.

If you aren't following all these women on Twitter, you should!

@liverpoolresis1 - Liverpool ReSisters
@sheffieldwomen - Women of Steel ReSisters
@lresisters - Lancashire ReSisters
@iresisters - Ireland ReSisters
@resistersu - ReSisters United UK & Ireland

There are more groups in the works.

We are growing!

littlbrowndog Sat 05-Jan-19 22:22:00

💪🍺🍺

SharkAttack1972 Sat 05-Jan-19 22:37:55

Brilliant news! Let me know if there are any events or things I can get involved in xx

LiverpoolReSisters Sat 05-Jan-19 22:39:32

Shark if you are close to any of these groups, contact them individually. smile If not, start one of your own! We will help/support you.

Melroses Sat 05-Jan-19 22:47:50

flowersflowersflowersflowersflowers

WSPU Sat 05-Jan-19 23:02:48

👊❤️👊

SharkAttack1972 Sat 05-Jan-19 23:49:22

I met up with liverpool re sister in Wirral area. Would help out at any events near Liverpool etc. X

womanformallyknownaswoman Sun 06-Jan-19 04:44:20

LiverpoolReSisters

Great news

well done!

Manderleyagain Sun 06-Jan-19 10:12:54

This is great news.

failingatlife Mon 07-Jan-19 11:13:23

Have followed all of these on twitter. Any Scottish resisters?

LiverpoolReSisters Mon 07-Jan-19 11:15:11

Thanks failing. Not sure at present, but if you are in Scotland there's nothing stopping you from creating a group of like-minded women.

Thank you Shark, can you DM us?

morningtoncrescent62 Mon 07-Jan-19 19:24:55

This is a really stupid question, but how does a group constitute itself as a ReSisters group? I'm in a fledgling group of GC women and we've been discussing what we want to do and how. So if we were to decide we want to be a ReSisters group, is it as simple as opening a twitter account and doing some stuff and posting about it?

Areyouongluedear Mon 07-Jan-19 19:26:45

Excuse my ignorance but what is Re Sisters?

LiverpoolReSisters Mon 07-Jan-19 20:11:29

morningtoncrescent62 How exciting for your group! There are no entry requirements to being a "ReSister". If you are pro women and want to work together on current issues as a group with a ReSisters name, you are welcome to do so. We tend to work by word of mouth and networking to ensure women are all on the same page with key current events issues, but each area and group will have their own focus.

If you would like advice or guidance, feel free to contact any current group - we are all quite friendly. smile If you would like a logo similar in style to the other ReSisters groups, get in touch and we can help.

This is being organised from the ground up, there isn't a rulebook. Just women-focused work.

Areyouongluedear - Liverpool ReSisters started last year in response to the attempt to silence women who wanted to discuss the proposed changes to the Gender Recognition Act. Our group was at the centre of the #stickerwoman controversy for a time, which provoked a report to the Merseyside police and eventually culminated in one of our group speaking in the Liverpool City Council chambers and mayor Joe Anderson shouting at her after the speech, saying he would "never" speak to women about our concerns.

Other groups of ordinary women - of all walks of life - around the UK have begun meeting together and forming their own groups to discuss politics, feminism and organise peaceful political actions.

Hope that helps explain things a bit!

Areyouongluedear Tue 08-Jan-19 22:59:43

Thank you smile
Is there one in London?

zen1 Wed 09-Jan-19 00:02:45

I know it’s been mentioned before, but do you have any plans to print t-shirts with your logo on? I think it’s great!

tubspreciousthings Wed 09-Jan-19 00:41:20

Another tshirt request here 🙂

Thisisouting Wed 09-Jan-19 07:56:12

Resisters merch will be coming soon, we're just setting up the network and then the inconvenient women sweatshop will be on it! grin

Melanippe Wed 09-Jan-19 08:42:40

Looking forward to being able to buy my Lancashire ReSisters merch.

1hello2hello Wed 09-Jan-19 09:26:22

Yorkshire appears to be open for business !
twitter.com/HEYResisters
twitter.com/LeedsReSisters

LiverpoolReSisters Thu 10-Jan-19 07:36:42

Manchester is up!

twitter.com/MancResisters

Melroses Thu 10-Jan-19 08:38:37

Yay!! flowers

HedgehogPoo Thu 10-Jan-19 13:20:21

Our local group in the North East is discussing becoming part of the movement too.
It's a brilliant idea to create an information and support network, while raising the profile of everything too. ManFriday ramped up to 11 grin .

R0wantrees Thu 10-Jan-19 15:42:39

Our group was at the centre of the #stickerwoman controversy for a time, which provoked a report to the Merseyside police and eventually culminated in one of our group speaking in the Liverpool City Council chambers and mayor Joe Anderson shouting at her after the speech, saying he would "never" speak to women about our concerns.

Do watch it both for the Resisters statement, Mayor Joe Anderson's speech and the reaction from Liverpool Council:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq7MJ5YDR4U&feature=youtu.be&t=963

LiverpoolReSisters Thu 10-Jan-19 16:49:27

Exciting news, HedgehogPoo! If you want a similar style logo to the other ReSisters groups, let us know. One of our number is the graphics designer. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: