Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else having trouble with Twitter?

(53 Posts)
iBiscuit Tue 22-May-18 13:20:45

I think I've been banned, although I've not received anything to say as much.
Have multiple accounts for different things - work, feminist stuff and fluffy trivia - all with different email accounts associated.
I can't help feeling that the middle one has marked me out <dons tinfoil hat>
Anyone else?

UpstartCrow Tue 22-May-18 13:59:11

Do you clear your cookies and history before you switch to another account? I'd recommend you do that and use a sandboxed web browser, you can do that for free with Sandboxie.

Melamin Tue 22-May-18 14:02:19

sandboxed web browser What's one of those?

iBiscuit Tue 22-May-18 14:05:55

I didn't try Upstart, because I've never had trouble accessing different accounts from the same device before. It's what got me hmm about it all.
I'll take your advice though thank you, even if it's just to delete the accounts through paranoia.

Pratchet Tue 22-May-18 14:21:01

Sometimes you get locked out for 'unusual activity' i.e. Feministing
Is it that

UpstartCrow Tue 22-May-18 14:26:02

Melamin A sandbox creates a virtual partition on your hard drive, and when you close the sandbox its erased. So its very difficult for anything to infect your machine when you use one.
Sandboxie gives you a desk top icon which is a slice of pizza, it opens your default web browser and off you go. Its a bit slower than usual, but much safer.

Melamin Tue 22-May-18 14:28:16

Is that in addition to the usual firewalls and anti-virus stuff? It seems to do some of the same stuff from the website.

iBiscuit Tue 22-May-18 14:29:10

I'm fairly certain it was feministing in full view of some techie TAs, Pratchet.

Pratchet Tue 22-May-18 14:43:22

Heaven forfend. Off to gulag.

TERFragetteCity Tue 22-May-18 15:48:13

Bloody hell, feministing in public? Whatever next.

UpstartCrow Tue 22-May-18 15:50:39

Melamin Yes, in addition to a firewall and anti virus. Use layers of protection, no program is infallible.

Melamin Tue 22-May-18 16:07:27

It is like a Siberian winter. Keep adding the layers. Very wise.

And keep Feministing grin

iBiscuit Tue 22-May-18 16:12:18

TBH it's put me right off Twitter. I'll need to find somewhere else to do my feministing.

Melamin Tue 22-May-18 16:47:55

They will probably let you back on again tomorrow. Probably worth getting your sandbox ready (sounds like playgroup grin)

Pratchet Tue 22-May-18 16:50:03

If you have to give a phone number delete it as some as you are back in. It's not much but it would stop accidental exposure.

Auntpetunia2015 Tue 22-May-18 16:53:33

Did you have anything on your profile about Manchester attack. They’ve blocked/banned a whole load of people who had the Manchester ribbon in the profile as the algorithm thought it was spam

iBiscuit Tue 22-May-18 16:55:27

Will do, Pratchet.
Mel, I'll be deactivating my accounts as soon as I get in. When I think of the stuff that's allowed to stand it angers me so much. The bastards angry

iBiscuit Tue 22-May-18 16:55:59

No Aunt, nothing at all.

Magpiesarehuge Tue 22-May-18 17:44:27

I’ve been having problems - just nothing happens then when i switch to my privste setting kn iphone - i get in no problem - without logging in to my account. I imagine i’m on folks lists - actually i know i am - they delight on telling me I’m in their cunts and terfs list.

iBiscuit Tue 22-May-18 17:56:21

Yes I'm definitely on a block list or two.

iBiscuit Tue 22-May-18 21:27:54

Miranda Yardley and Venice Allan have been zapped. Not that my Twitter profile was anything like as well known, but I wonder if a lot of lesser known people have been targeted alongside them.

ScarletBegonias Tue 22-May-18 21:37:29

Mayday4Women removed too.

Melamin Tue 22-May-18 21:39:47

It is looking that way. I have missed Miranda's tweets, as I am not on twitter and can only look at accounts that are open.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 23-May-18 07:50:30

Calling women cunts and bitches is fine on Twitter. Saying biological males who identify as women are men isn't. The double standard is utterly disgusting. Twitter hates women.

Melamin Wed 23-May-18 09:04:02

Twitter is such a sewer when it comes to women. It seems fine to say things to women that would not be tolerated for anyone else. They are prepared to do it to high profile women too.

When a man comes on, the deference is palpable.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: