Talk

Advanced search

Brock Turner appeals his conviction

(20 Posts)
Collidascope Mon 04-Dec-17 11:45:01

uk.businessinsider.com/brock-turner-ex-stanford-swimmer-appeals-sexual-assault-conviction-2017-12

Given most people thought his sentence was too lenient and it seems he could actually be given a longer sentence if found guilty again, this strikes me as amazingly arrogant. There's such a sense of entitlement in his belief that someone like him shouldn't have to be registered as a sex offender. And what a lack of regard for the woman he attacked, raking it up again. What a dick.

GuardianLions Mon 04-Dec-17 11:50:58

Women and girls will be safer with him on the sex offender's register.

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 04-Dec-17 11:51:53

I'm not surprised. Massively disgusted by his whole entitled stinking attitude, but not surprised.

How do any of the supposed errors in the prosecution case change the fact that he was found on top of the unconscious victim, sexually assaulting her? Witnessed by two sober independent (male) witnesses, who were horrified and upset by what they'd seen?

Fishfingersandwichnocheese Mon 04-Dec-17 15:07:46

Sky news are still referring to him as an “ex Olympic swimmer who was convicted of sexual assault” rather than “Brock Turner who was convicted of sexual assault”.

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 04-Dec-17 15:42:54

Totally irrelevant, but he's not an ex Olympic swimmer, he was a college swimmer hoping to qualify for a future Olympics.

Fishfingersandwichnocheese Mon 04-Dec-17 16:07:03

Well that’s their standard of journalism for you.

SonicBoomBoom Mon 04-Dec-17 21:35:14

Not surprised either.

He doesn't think he did anything wrong.

Apparently the people around him don't think so either.

And I suspect the judge Pesky (sp? That seems too apt) doesn't really think he did either.

I hope his appeal massively backfires.

Ereshkigal Tue 05-Dec-17 08:12:25

Please for the love of justice give him a longer sentence!

makeourfuture Tue 05-Dec-17 08:30:01

The grounds for appeal look pretty weak - "the prosecution lied".

makeourfuture Tue 05-Dec-17 08:40:15

Because seemingly any facts the defense felt were incorrect would have been (or could have been) addressed during defense presentation.

TammySwansonTwo Tue 05-Dec-17 09:56:07

He's got some fucking nerve, I'll give him that - especially regarding the judge. That guy gave him a slap on the wrist and now they're saying he acted unfairly? I hope this leads to a big shock for the privileged arsehole.

Nyx1 Tue 05-Dec-17 21:08:34

but his victim would have to go through a trial again?

irretating Tue 05-Dec-17 21:33:56

It wouldn't surprise me if they're banking on her not wanting to go through it again.

Nyx1 Tue 05-Dec-17 21:40:23

I'm not sure what happens if he wants a retrial and the victim doesn't....I'd guess he gets his way?

Looking at this information, I think it would be Ched Evans all over again.

www.nytimes.com/2017/12/02/us/brock-turner-appeal.html?_r=1&mtrref=www.google.com

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 05-Dec-17 21:49:58

If he gets acquitted on a re-trial it will be beyond shocking, and I don't know what I'd think. If he can't be convicted of this, then no rape/sexual assault case should ever bother to go to court in the US. It would be sickening.

DJBaggySmalls Tue 05-Dec-17 21:53:35

He shouldn't get to put his victim through the same abuse 3 times.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 06-Dec-17 00:08:21

I hope they do a Pistorius on him and double his sentence.

SonicBoomBoom Wed 06-Dec-17 20:11:34

I wonder if Brock the Rapist thinks the "climate" for sexual crime has changed to a more favourable one, now Trump is POTUS.

Collidascope Thu 07-Dec-17 10:33:49

www.thepetitionsite.com/en-gb/565/103/184/

There's a petition here to not overturn his conviction.

IsabellaDMC Thu 07-Dec-17 16:34:05

I personally hope that there is a special place in hell for people who not only commit such crimes, but additionally cannot see what is wrong in their behaviour even after being convicted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now