Talk

Advanced search

Twitter security issue-worried

(10 Posts)
SirVixofVixHall Thu 30-Nov-17 22:16:13

I just had a message from twitter saying that my account may have been compromised by "a website or service not associated with twitter". It told me to change my password, which I have done. Am v freaked out now, I post under my own name, on a lot of feminist stuff, including gender issues. What should I do, should I worry? Anyone know?

QuarksandLeptons Thu 30-Nov-17 22:34:58

help.twitter.com/articles/31796?lang=en

A good list of things that may help here

SirVixofVixHall Thu 30-Nov-17 22:58:12

Thank you, will look at that right away.

DJBaggySmalls Fri 01-Dec-17 01:02:49

Try not to worry, of you post under your real name you arent saying anything you wouldn't say in real life. They cant access your email or anything else from your Twitter account.

Twitter thinks it was an app or bot rather than a human, so most likely scenario is no real harm done. All they got was your Twitter password, which you've changed.
You may want to look at that info was available such as an email address & phone number, and consider changing those.

SirVixofVixHall Fri 01-Dec-17 09:18:53

Yes, I do only post stuff that I would quite happily say in real life. Nothing political on there that I don't say to friends, or to my MP. I suppose the issue has rattled me because I know that women who speak out against gender id do get persecuted. I don't want to change my email though, that's a worry, I could change the one for twitter, and keep it for twitter only, but the one on the account is my main email. There don't seem to be any odd tweets posted, I couldn't see anything obviously different, which in itself is making me paranoid!! Thanks for the advice.

DJBaggySmalls Fri 01-Dec-17 10:47:27

I wouldn't use my main email, its safer to make a throwaway email, just in case.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Fri 01-Dec-17 11:29:16

Have you linked a website or app with Twitter? Maybe something like a Twitter app on your phone? Some of those are a bit dubious.

Anyhow, I understand why you're worried. Someone hacked my Pinterest account the other day. It's just DIY related stuff and I rarely use it, but I was a bit freaked out about it.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Fri 01-Dec-17 11:31:34

One more thing - have you opted in to 2 step authentication? So that you get a text with a code if someone logs in.

MakeMisogynyAHateCrime Fri 01-Dec-17 14:44:09

Yes do you have your phone number linked?

If you are using your regular email address, change it to a throw away one.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sun 03-Dec-17 11:31:24

OP have you seen today's thread about Twitter?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: