Talk

Advanced search

Women's Liberation Party

(68 Posts)
BahHumbygge Mon 20-Nov-17 14:41:19

Reposting this from the thread about the Rochester Labour Party. Despairing now there is no mainstream or small party now that represents the interests of women.

What with the WEP also buying into this shambles, can we initiate a Women's Liberation Party to counter this?

Seriously.

We need to coalesce around a unified voice to fight this.

Suggested basic principles

Liberation of females from male supremacy.

Abolition of gender. People can dress, present, be who they want to be, whether or not that correlates with traditional stereotypes and norms associated with their sex.

Changing sex is impossible, both medically and politically, but you can be free to choose to non conform with the gender norms of your birth sex. Hate crime based on gender non-conformity to be taken seriously.

Trans people have and deserve rights both for their unique trans status and at a general human rights level. But transwomen’s and natal women’s rights do not in any way overlap. They do not form a cohesive group with a common definition that is not based on either a tautology, or essentialist stereotypes.

Gender is no business of the state. There is no reason for the state to know or collect statistics on people's gender... it is a personal matter. Sex on the other hand is important for the planning of services such as maternity, cervical and prostate screening etc.

Acknowledgement of the fact that humans are a sexually dimorphic species and the material reality of biology. How this affects opportunities and outcomes for female sexed people in society. Women are more than their sex, but never less.

Sex is why women are oppressed and gender is how. Understanding the nature of sex based oppression is essential to dismantling the gender structures that hold women subjugated.

All male violence and harassment of females to be included as a hate crime category. Stiff sentences for serious sex offences against women and children.

Affirmative consent-based Sex Education throughout the school career, at an age appropriate level. Teaching respect for others’ boundaries and wishes.

+Women only spaces upheld.

AssignedPerfectAtBirth Mon 20-Nov-17 14:43:49

I would join although I dislike the term 'liberation'. I like the 'Fair Play for Women' one

BahHumbygge Mon 20-Nov-17 14:51:41

The name and details can be yet to be decided. But we need to have a unified movement around the recognition of the importance of biology in understanding women's subordinate status, how gender is used to uphold that power structure, and that there should be a voice for women in politics that puts forth that viewpoint. Pressure group or new political party.

LostMyLunchMoney Mon 20-Nov-17 15:51:48

I would join

Bucketsandspoons Mon 20-Nov-17 16:07:23

I'd join. Ready and willing to chain myself to railings over this.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Mon 20-Nov-17 16:17:59

I misread the title and thought it said Women's Liberation Army - I've had a terrible day so was totally ready to don khaki and kick arse. But a party would be good too!

catgirl1976 Mon 20-Nov-17 16:19:16

I'd join

BahHumbygge Mon 20-Nov-17 16:25:32

Lol at army... though I am feeling pretty militant over this grin
We definitely need to get out from under our laptops and kick arse. Khakis optional.

AfunaMbatata Mon 20-Nov-17 16:27:39

I’d join.

GuardianLions Mon 20-Nov-17 16:32:12

I love this idea. It is so frustrating to not be able to get behind any party because of their stance on prostitution or transgenderism.

If it was a party centred sole on the concerns of women and girls, then everyone would benefit in the long run, because women and girls are the canaries, whether the issue is the economy, the environment or whatever.

SweetGrapes Mon 20-Nov-17 16:42:30

Forget the khakhi. I am from india and am just about ready to go Kali. Google kali. Just about the most ultimate kick ass female ever....

SweetGrapes Mon 20-Nov-17 16:45:56

And it's not about violence - it's about strength.

CancellyMcChequeface Mon 20-Nov-17 16:46:04

I'd join too.

Viviennemary Mon 20-Nov-17 16:51:58

It's a good idea and would get support. Not sure Women's Liberation party is the right name. A bit too much 1970's. grin at army.

mamas12 Mon 20-Nov-17 16:56:03

Count me in, I'll join the party or army to stand up these aims

Popchyk Mon 20-Nov-17 16:59:45

I'm in.

Can I put myself forward for the position of Men's Officer? I've been on this thread for 30 seconds therefore I am totally experienced in all of the issues facing men today.

I wear jeans and wellies and therefore qualify as a man no problem. I feel that I can also represent the needs of cis men though even though they've got it a lot easier than us and should STFU.

BatShite Mon 20-Nov-17 16:59:57

Fair play for women is much better

I would help fund a party like this. I am pretty poor (especially by MN standards) but I could spare something and would also vote.

I don't think a party like this would ever be elected though. Despite many people claiming to care about female rights, when it comes down to it they really don't care either way. Especially 'male feminists'. So many don't get it, and 'feminist' is almost a dirty word among youth at the moment as 'feminist' tends to mean...does not believe men can become women :S

BahHumbygge Mon 20-Nov-17 17:01:20

Autonomy? Clear cut statement of intent, but less militant 1970's

freedom from external control or influence; independence.

GuardianLions Mon 20-Nov-17 17:07:56

Autonomy makes me think of all the sex possies

thebewilderness Mon 20-Nov-17 22:10:20

VOTES FOR WOMEN!

OlennasWimple Mon 20-Nov-17 22:14:50

The New Suffragettes (because we need to finish what they started)

MakeMisogynyAHateCrime Mon 20-Nov-17 22:22:07

I would join and would be more than happy to be very vocal about it in terms of my current and former profession.

Anlaf Mon 20-Nov-17 22:22:38

I am so in for this

Badgerthebodger Mon 20-Nov-17 22:23:10

I’d join and I would be happy to help if I could

MakeMisogynyAHateCrime Mon 20-Nov-17 22:25:02

Women Overcoming Male Brutality (WOMB) would be wonderful wouldn't it? Alas I don't think it would be taken seriously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now