Talk

Advanced search

How do I know if I’m on a block list ?

(34 Posts)
wrappedupinmyselflikeaspool Sun 08-Oct-17 17:50:18

So, I’ve just found out I’m blocked on Twitter by Dr Brooke Magnati/Belle De Jour despite never having any interaction with her to my knowledge. I hardly ever tweet about gender critical things on this account, my professional one. I assume she blocked me as I’m critical of what currently passes for progressive thinking on sex work, but again, I hardly ever tweet anything about this, or only mildly. I do follow some gender critical and s VAW and prostitution survivors but also some lib fems, well I used to. I cant Remember names to check other people I was following but for example I can still look at Juno Dawson (but I was never following Juno in the first place)

I’m confused. Why block someone who has never bothered you? I’ve only blocked a few people in my time, all people who were harassing me and being deliberately unpleasant. Milo and his followers for example. I also always block the many women selling sex who follow me because I assume they are either doing it to take the piss (considering the type of account it is) or to use my timeline to sell sex, which I’m not comfortable with. I talk a lot about male violence, murder, rape, CSE and sex offending, from a professional perspective and in an accessible, non aggressive way, because I want to engage people. How do I tell if I’m on a block list?

DJBaggySmalls Sun 08-Oct-17 18:13:00

There are 3 kinds of lists; shadow bans, block lists, and lists.
There's nothing you can do about block lists, except get someone else to ask the person to unblock you, or create a new account.

You can see what lists you are on by clicking the 'lists' link in your profile. there's a tab where you choose lists you have made or lists you are on.
I'm regularly put on 'terf' lists, and you can get yourself removed by blocking the person who made that list.
If you dont want to block them but just dont want to be on a list, block then unblock straight away.

Info on shadow bans, which stop you using certain hashtags and how to lift the ban;
www.whentaniatalks.com/twitter-shadowban/

hangry Sun 08-Oct-17 18:22:59

how odd, i just noticed that person has me blocked too and was wondering why and who else might have. i can only assume it's from a block list based on people that you follow rather than direct communication with her.

BriechonCheese Sun 08-Oct-17 18:41:05

Yes there are block lists based purely on who you follow.
Lots of them are somehow separate to twitter - chrome extensions I think.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sun 08-Oct-17 18:43:39

Does it bother you? I couldn't care less if people I don't know block me.

BetsyM00 Sun 08-Oct-17 18:59:04

TERF blocker list is here if you want to check for your name.

Ereshkigal Sun 08-Oct-17 19:38:19

Doesn't bother me either.

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Sun 08-Oct-17 19:44:35

I'd be quite offended if I wasn't on the TERF blocker list.

If I really want to see something I'm blocked from I just use one of my other accounts & get a screenshot if I want to comment or share.

wrappedupinmyselflikeaspool Sun 08-Oct-17 19:50:59

Thank you DJbaggy smalls, how informative! I really had no idea. I’ve just checked my lists and yes, I’m on loads of lists, I didn’t even know this feature was there. And thank you Betsy Moo i’ll Check that now.

It doesn’t bother me exactly but it worrries me that I am quite careful on the account in question, so that tells me these people, who seem to have a hair trigger offense meter, go to great lengths to not listen. I find that deeply depressing.

Anlaf Sun 08-Oct-17 19:55:03

I'm not on the terf list yet.

That Tom Holland is though!

As is Katie Hopkins hmm

Otherwise lots of marvellous people to follow if you're on twitter.

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Sun 08-Oct-17 19:57:06

Janice Turner's on there too.

PencilsInSpace Sun 08-Oct-17 19:59:28

I'm on the TERF block list. I think Magnanti subscribes because I'm blocked by her too and have never interacted with her.

It does bother me because I want to read a variety of opinions. I'm not bothered if they don't want to read my tweets (they could achieve this by muting me) but there's something really tedious and childish about not allowing certain people to read their tweets (especially as you can just log out then read them anyway). You click on their page and get the 'you are blocked' message and it's like being back in the infants playground - 'I'm not talking to YOU ner ner ner ner ner'.

I think there's a bigger problem with blockbots like the TERF blocker too. I don't know how many people subscribe to it (a lot I'd imagine) but the list of those blocked is at 1350. I know the term is a bit overused but this is an echo chamber if anything is, and it seems to be a deliberately created one.

Xenophile Sun 08-Oct-17 20:04:54

Robert Webb is on there too.

Maybe they don't like men who don't want to play by the rules of toxic masculinity.

wrappedupinmyselflikeaspool Sun 08-Oct-17 20:11:30

Pencils, yes that’s exactly it. I follow a lot of different people and I like to know about different opinions, though I have to be honest there are a couple of people who go on and on about trans rights and sex workers rigths that I have muted but not blocked, because I still might want to see what they say about a particular thing. It is childish and it did irk me about Belle De Jour. very playground because I can just log in with a different account to see her tweets and I’m sure she knows that but just wants to make a point.

I’m not on the terf block list though so that can’t be it. I have checked my ‘lists’ and I’m on some pretty cool lists but nothing associated with swerf or terf.

DJBaggySmalls Sun 08-Oct-17 20:35:43

Check the other people of the lists you are on and who posted it, dont just go by the name they give it. They arent all daft.

HemlockIsSpartacus Sun 08-Oct-17 20:43:16

The one big adventure to the blockbot and lists is that it's a great way to find more amazing feminists to follow - they make it nice and easy for us to network

HemlockIsSpartacus Sun 08-Oct-17 20:43:32

Adventure? Advantage - obviously

bambambini Sun 08-Oct-17 21:19:16

I'm on a terf list snd blocked by Brooke. I feel kind of like a rebel without a clue.

AssignedPerfectAtBirth Sun 08-Oct-17 23:08:54

I'm on it. So proud!

AssignedPerfectAtBirth Sun 08-Oct-17 23:15:20

Martina Navratilova is on it.

Lesbian heroine.

Anlaf Mon 09-Oct-17 08:18:45

Imagine wanting to block Martina Navratilova!

Surely that's when you question your ideology

WhereYouLeftIt Mon 09-Oct-17 14:59:21

I am listed on TERFblocker!
<twirls>

And thanks for the lists info DJBaggySmalls - turn out that I am a member of a list called Random Horrible People (<twirls> again). Interestingly, the person who created this list hasn't blocked me. So I'm horrible, but not unreadable? Meh.

I have found myself to be blocked by people I've never interacted with. I am starting to block them back, as I find the notion that they can see me but I can't see them - well, a little creepy.

As for does it make a difference, it can sometimes when you're reading a conversation and you realise people are responding to posts invisible to you. But then I just log off and reload the page.

FloraFox Mon 09-Oct-17 15:49:25

A bunch of people were using a block bot a few years ago. Not sure if that's still a thing. Brooke Magnanti also blocked me and, oddly, Martin Linehan who I have never interacted with on twitter.

ohyesiknowwhatyoumean Mon 09-Oct-17 17:05:55

Bugger. Not on any block lists. Clearly am insignificant confused

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Tue 10-Oct-17 22:55:10

I am blocked on Twitter by Everyday Feminism.

shocksadshocksadshocksad

How will I find out the seven ways I'm oppressing vegan asexual people?

Or the twenty three ways to be a Good Ally to pansexual trans giraffes?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now