Talk

Advanced search

"Anything You Do Say" by Gillian McAllister

(16 Posts)
MyBrilliantDisguise Sat 21-Oct-17 16:46:16

A while ago I recommended Gillian McAllister's first novel, "Everything But the Truth" and several MNetters read it and liked it. Gilly is a Mumsnetter and Everything But the Truth was her debut novel, published by Penguin. Clare Mackintosh's review said, "'Perfection. Intriguing and compelling. An exceptional debut.' I loved this book - it started with a woman seeing an email on her partner's iPad in the middle of the night - I knew immediately it was right up my alley!

Now Gilly's brought out another novel, "Anything You Do Say" which Amazon is selling as an ebook today for 99p. I've just bought it - it looks great. The Amazon blurb says it better than I could:

'A Sliding Doors thriller with a moral dilemma at its heart. Brilliant' Claire Douglas, bestselling author of Last Seen Alive

It's the end of the night. You're walking home on your own.

Then you hear the sound every woman dreads. Footsteps. Behind you. Coming fast.

You're sure it's him - the man from the bar who wouldn't leave you alone.

You make a snap decision. You turn. You push. Your pursuer tumbles down the steps. He lies motionless, face-down on the floor.

Now What?

Call 999
Wait for the police to arrive. For judgement, for justice,whatever that may be. You just hope you husband, family and friends, everyoneyou love, will stand by you.

OR:

Run
Stay silent. You didn't mean to do it. You were scared, you panicked. And no one saw. No one will ever know. If you leave now. If you keep quiet. Forever.

Which is it to be?

I've just bought my copy and that's sorted out this afternoon - it's raining outside, I'm on my sofa and I have a new book to read. Great weekend!

MyBrilliantDisguise Sat 21-Oct-17 17:05:42

Shamelessly bumping!

CarrieBradshawsScrunchie Sat 21-Oct-17 17:16:49

Sounds up my street, too. I’ve just finished reading a thriller so this could be my next!

CaoNiMwahaha Sat 21-Oct-17 17:34:24

Excellent! I stayed up all night reading "Everything But The Truth".

Looking forward to this next one.

MyBrilliantDisguise Sat 21-Oct-17 17:36:02

I loved it, too. I love suspense where I could picture myself in that situation.

Dontwaketheneighbours Sat 21-Oct-17 17:37:57

Sounds like the type of book I'd enjoy, thanks for the recommendation MBD. I'll check out everything but the truth too - I've been looking for something new to read.

MyBrilliantDisguise Sat 21-Oct-17 18:22:45

I loved Everything but the Truth. Hope you like them.

MyBrilliantDisguise Sat 21-Oct-17 21:46:45

Bump for the evening crowd - a snip at 99p!

whatwoulddexterdo Mon 23-Oct-17 21:22:11

Very very much enjoyed the first book. A cut above what's currently available in this genre.
Hadn't realised author was a mumsnetter, congratulations,, (not meant to sound patronising). But takes a lot to please me, reading wise these days, and I really did enjoy your work
Off to buy your second offering, 99p, less than the price of a coffee, I sincerely hope you are making a living......

MyBrilliantDisguise Tue 24-Oct-17 20:13:27

Hey, hang on, there are quite a few published authors on MN!!!

When they sell them at that price it's often just to bump the book up the charts - once that is done, the price will go up. I'm reading it now and loving it - such a dilemma she's faced with.

ouchthathurtsabit Sat 04-Nov-17 07:18:30

Started readying this last night and I’m 20 percent through...my ideal book. Or finished yet but very highly recommended. It it for 99p too.

I’ve have the first one that I purchased a while ago so reading that next.

Hadn’t realised this was one of those written by a mumsnetter. I bought the book as loved the premise

InfiniteSheldon Sat 04-Nov-17 07:43:15

Thankyou just bought that the first one is £4.99 now though sad

Thestarslookverydifferent Sat 04-Nov-17 07:58:50

Is it stand alone or do i have to read "everything but the truth first? Thanks

ouchthathurtsabit Sat 04-Nov-17 19:44:42

Pretty sure they’re stand alone 😊

MimsyBorogroves Sun 05-Nov-17 11:15:05

Finished it today, after binge reading as much as possible over the last 48 hours.

Absolutely blew me away, fantastic writing, gripping, easy to read.

AnonymousAuthor111 Tue 14-Nov-17 10:13:22

I just namechanged to pop on here to say thank you so so much for your kind words about Anything You Do Say (and Everything But The Truth!).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: