Talk

Advanced search

Teachers: do you believe the moon landings were a hoax?

(402 Posts)
noblegiraffe Sat 03-Nov-18 18:39:10

I was just on Teacher Tapp and found the results from this poll pretty horrifying: 15% of teachers polled don’t disagree with the statement “I believe the moon landings from 1969 to 1972 were actually a hoax”.

What now? Nearly 1 in 6 of us??

OP’s posts: |
ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 03-Nov-18 18:41:01

Do you really think that teachers with that view will reply to you in the way you have worded it?? I bloody wouldn’t!

noblegiraffe Sat 03-Nov-18 18:49:38

Oh I’m not looking for an argument about the moon landings as they’re just a straight-up fact.

I was hoping fellow teachers would be similarly baffled by the results.

elephantoverthehill Sat 03-Nov-18 18:51:43

I do not believe that the moon landing was a hoax. However I burst my DB's bubble a couple of months ago. He says they were all taken into the school hall in the afternoon to watch it live. I said that it happened very early in the morning so he couldn't have been at school. It transpired that DM woke me up to watch it as I hadn't started at infants yet but Db and Ds were not awoken as they had to go to school. I remember Dm waking me up a lot around that time to watch rocket launches and splash downs. I used actually complain!!! But it did feel, at the time like oh it's another one.

elephantoverthehill Sat 03-Nov-18 18:54:58

*The moon landings were

Thisreallyisafarce Sat 03-Nov-18 18:57:05

I have no strongly held belief either way. I'm not particularly scientifically literate, so if you told me you could prove they were a hoax, I wouldn't rule it out.

mnistooaddictive Sat 03-Nov-18 19:00:30

I’ve just found out one of my colleagues (and yes a teacher) is a climate change denier. Same group of people I reckon!

fizzicles Sat 03-Nov-18 19:00:35

I think it's actually broadly in line with the percentage of the general population who believe they were a hoax.

noblegiraffe Sat 03-Nov-18 19:06:49

I have no strongly held belief either way.

Which is a bit weird, I think. Unless you are ambivalent about other major historical events actually happening?

Thisreallyisafarce Sat 03-Nov-18 19:08:46

noblegiraffe

I suppose you could put it that way. Until I see a convincing evidence base for any purported fact, I remain open to the possibility that it didn't happen as reported to me.

RebelWitchFace Sat 03-Nov-18 19:15:35

Well 7 out of those 15 don't disagree or agree.

At the end of the day though,teacher are people with their own thoughts,opinions,experiences and theories. It's not a hive mind . It's also not that shocking that some of them might buy into various conspiracy theories. As long as it doesn't interfere with their teaching it's irrelevant really.

noblegiraffe Sat 03-Nov-18 19:21:19

Until I see a convincing evidence base for any purported fact

What everything? Like how many wives Henry VIII had?

Thisreallyisafarce Sat 03-Nov-18 19:23:36

noblegiraffe

I've seen that. I studied Tudor History in some depth during my degree. grin

HalfBloodPrincess Sat 03-Nov-18 19:27:59

No, but I have worked with one who believes the earth is flat 🤦🏻‍♀️

noblegiraffe Sat 03-Nov-18 19:29:09

So what else are you open to? Titanic didn’t sink? The twin towers were blown up? Chemtrails? Brain gym?!

Thisreallyisafarce Sat 03-Nov-18 19:31:12

noblegiraffe

I don't know what some of those things mean. Nothing is an established fact for which I haven't seen a reasonable evidence base. The Moon Landing happens to fall into that category, simply because I haven't seen the evidence. The Titanic, well, I think I've seen enough to accept it.

noblegiraffe Sat 03-Nov-18 19:32:02

believes the earth is flat

Um? Like as a gag, surely?

noblegiraffe Sat 03-Nov-18 19:33:04

haven't seen the evidence

They were on telly! One small step for man!

Urbanbeetler Sat 03-Nov-18 19:35:31

I DEFINITELY watched it at school. I remember going into the headmaster’s living room - it was a small village school with the school masters house attached. Maybe there was a repeat later? Anyway, your brother didn’t imagine it.

Urbanbeetler Sat 03-Nov-18 19:35:58

Oh and I’m a teacher who doesn’t think it was a hoax.

Thisreallyisafarce Sat 03-Nov-18 19:39:05

They were on telly! One small step for man!

So is Peppa Pig. It's not real.

If there is compelling evidence that it was a hoax, I've not seen it. If there is compelling evidence it wasn't, I've not seen it.

honeysucklejasmine Sat 03-Nov-18 19:39:54

brain gym

Properly made me snort out loud.

I once had to mediate in an argument between two science teachers about what was causing climate change. At least they both acknowledged it was real.

Urbanbeetler Sat 03-Nov-18 19:40:17

I saw moon rock brought back in a museum in Edinburgh as a child. Though I suppose they could have been from Leith!

RedneckStumpy Sat 03-Nov-18 19:40:25

I am sure it wasn’t a hoax, However I am sure that Gagarin wasn’t the first human in space, just the first to survive.

Maybe the moon landings that we know of were the first successful one?

elephantoverthehill Sat 03-Nov-18 19:43:35

Urbanbeetler I'm not saying my brother imagined it, I was able to prove to him that he did not watch it 'live', whereas I did. He saw a rerun of the live footage.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in