Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can I do anything about my red face

(59 Posts)
TheoriginalKB Wed 31-May-17 21:31:29

I have a very red complexion which gets even redder as soon as I get a bit tired, a bit hot or have a drink.
In group photos my face always stands out as being so much redder than anyone else even with make up on.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the redness? I also have very sensitive skin, anything I put on it makes it more red and stingy except for a little bit of E45 cream used occasionally.

tessiebear4 Wed 31-May-17 21:32:35

Watching with interest as I'm exactly the same. It's got much worse recently.

KeepCalm Wed 31-May-17 21:34:13

Me three blush

Kez0777 Wed 31-May-17 21:36:20

And me, it seems to be getting worse too sad let's hope someone can help

WorzelsCornyBrows Wed 31-May-17 21:36:27

Have you tried a green/yellow primer under your foundation? It works for me. I have very rosy cheeks!

SomethingAboutNothing Wed 31-May-17 21:36:32

When I was at the Bobby Brown counter the other week I remember the MUA talking about using opposing pigments to neutralise colours. I don't recall much more than that but if you were to head to a decent beauty counter they might be able to give you some product suggestions to balance your skin colour?

tessiebear4 Wed 31-May-17 21:37:38

My nose is my problem!

WorzelsCornyBrows Wed 31-May-17 21:38:48

Also, take a look at Liz Eldridge's website. She has done a tutorial on covering roseacia which might help. I think it's how I found out about green primer.

GottonamechangeNow17 Wed 31-May-17 21:39:52

Me too!!! It's literally my whole face too..cheeks,forehead,nose,chin.. I hate it!!

Barbie1 Wed 31-May-17 21:39:55

Skin care therapist here...

What stands out the most in your post is the fact you use E45 cream.....0ccasionally.

This is wear lies your problem.

A sensitive skin with a tendency to redness is normally dehydrated.

Here comes the science. Your skin cells should be plump and full of water, they should sit nicely together to make a protective barrier to your skin. If they dry up they become all wrinkly and instead of sitting nicely they get gappy thus breaking the protective barrier and allowing everyday objects to become irritants which will cause the redness and sensitivity.

Cleaning and moisturising is a must. Twice daily and exfoliate at least twice a week to keep the skin unclogged and able to repair itself.

daisygirlmac Wed 31-May-17 21:40:40

Definitely green primer!

Barbie1 Wed 31-May-17 21:43:30

There are 100's of products out there and it might take a while to find ones that work for you. With most new skin care regimes it might take a few weeks if not months to notice a difference and often clients will complain that their skin becomes worse before getting better.

If you can afford to I would strongly recommend a facial, the therapist will evaluate your skin fully and let you know how to look after it. You don't have to buy the brand that they will be trying to sell but you will be armed with more information, plus you get an relaxing hour to yourself too!

Chickpearocker Wed 31-May-17 21:44:11

LA ROCHE-POSAY ROSALIAC AR INTENSE SERUM has worked wonders for me. I also flush a lot. Wear bare minerals make up. I have broken thread veins as well which I got lasered, that helped my confidence.

MollyHuaCha Wed 31-May-17 21:44:18

If you remove sugar from your diet, it may help.

Also check whether any skin care products you currently use are aggravating your skin - cleaners, toners, moisturizers and masks. Despite their 'gentle' and 'natural' claims, a lot of skin care products are full of chemicals and are abrasive to sensitive skin.

TheoriginalKB Wed 31-May-17 21:44:25

I don't wear make up very often and worry about putting stuff on my skin regularly, it's not just the makeup itself it's the more vigorous/ regular face washing that goes along with it.
But I could try going to a make up counter to get something for days/nights out. Mine seems to be particularly bad at the moment, I guess the sun probably doesn't help.

Barbie1 Wed 31-May-17 21:44:42

Green primer is great but I would always try to get to the bottom of the problem rather than covering it up and making your skin potentially worse:

Sorry for multiple post...it's my passion blush

aliciagardner Wed 31-May-17 21:45:37

I have rosacea. After much trial and error, I found the following things worked:
- a course of IPL removed all but the worst of the rosacea, only bad on my nose now
- Superdrug hot cloth cleanser religiously, morning and night, followed by any good (but cheap) moisturiser
- garnier cc cream thin layer on my nose
- bare minerals powder foundation very fine layer over the top. Reapply (using only a tiny, tiny bit across my nose) a few times a day.

Yika Wed 31-May-17 21:46:19

I believe you can get laser treatment for redness. (as well as for thread veins as mentioned above)

TheoriginalKB Wed 31-May-17 21:47:31

Massive cross post there - I use hardly anything on my face - just wash it gently with water.
I won't buy any product now without getting a sample first as I have had a reaction to everything I have tried - a red stingy burny reaction.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Wed 31-May-17 21:50:32

Rosaliac AR Intense here as well.
Also no coffee or alcohol and a very gentle cleanser, (sometimes only water and a cloth)

TheoriginalKB Wed 31-May-17 21:50:38

Thanks Barbie, I understand what you're saying about the skin being damaged and therefore the irritants getting through, but how do I build up the protection when everything currently irritates my skin?

Barbie1 Wed 31-May-17 21:50:58

Washing with water isn't effective enough on its own. Can you try a gentle oil cleanser? The oil will stop any drag on the skin and form a protective barrier. Then put a moisturiser on to seal in the oil and rehydrate.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Wed 31-May-17 21:51:15

Also no curries, or red wine.

LakeFlyPie Wed 31-May-17 21:53:35

I tried all manner of expensive potions and the thing that settles my rosacea most effectively is Cetaphil cleanser and moisturising lotion.
Some red wines really set it off too.

Barbie1 Wed 31-May-17 21:54:50

This is trail and error I'm afraid. It's about finding a product that will give you a barrier protection without causing a reaction.

Dermalogica do an amazing sensitive skin range. Pricy but amazing. I have a few clients who like you couldn't use a thing and now have 'normal' skin.

I've just relocated back to the uk and my stuff is currently being shipped back from the Middle East. Or else I would of sent a few samples.
Go online and see if you can request any from that range?

Also something like Nivea or astral cold cream might work for you. Failing that coconut oil?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now