Talk

Advanced search

Sun hats for big heads!

(28 Posts)
AcerTree Wed 05-Apr-17 10:50:26

Calling all those with a larger than average head ..... where do you buy your sun hats from?
I have tried all the usual high street stores and I am not having any luck. The last sun hat I had was from M&S size M-L and I had to cut the inner band out to get it fit (and even then it still felt tight). So I really need a L-XL. I would love a wide brimmed straw hat, but it looks like I can't afford to be choosy sad.
Any recommendations?

QueenOlivine Wed 05-Apr-17 11:24:21

Just watching your thread as I have the same problem! Last year I tried making a hat but it was too floppy and I haven't had time to try again yet. I'm considering buying a man's Tilley-style sunhat and just accepting that I will look like crocodile dundee.

I really like a hat to shade my eyes/skin in summer, but I hate that tight sweaty headband feeling because they are all too small!

AcerTree Wed 05-Apr-17 11:39:03

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I really want a vaguely pretty hat. I am very fair skinned so also really need a wide brimmed hat.
I have ordered a hat via Amazon which is due to arrive today so I will report back on whether it fits.
I'm really hoping someone will be along soon with some suggestions. The sun is out today and I want this summer to be the year i can wear something other than a cap!

CMOTDibbler Wed 05-Apr-17 11:47:14

I wear mens straw hats mostly - my current 'best' hat is an M&S trilby style in blue. I also have a couple of cricket style ones (white cloth, wide brim), a very wide brimmed red straw which I managed to find somewhere and stretched by spraying with water and wearing till it dried.

I'm a mens XL in hats, ridiculously fair skinned, so hats are a constant pain to me!

steppemum Wed 05-Apr-17 12:00:42

men's hats are my only option.
To be fair I hate hats, and struggle to wear them at all. But this is probably because they are always too small.

GlowWine Wed 05-Apr-17 12:07:46

My commiserations, i love hats but have never been able to pick up a 'fashion hat' from a shop. When i needed a hat for sun protection rather than style I went and bought a (men's?) cricket hat.

choppolata Wed 05-Apr-17 13:07:24

I have an Arc'teryx Sinsola hat in L/XL. Looks a little bit Holly Hobbie but I like that.

poppym12 Wed 05-Apr-17 14:23:27

Watching eagerly grin I have only ever found one hat that fits properly. Sadly it has been deemed garden only as it's very Liam Gallagher-esque. I'm away next week and would like to look remotely stylish.

quirkychick Wed 05-Apr-17 14:25:58

Another fair-skinned, big - headed woman here wink, last year I had a straw hat from New Look that fitted well. Also, what everyone says about men's hats. I bet they're cheaper too.

AcerTree Wed 05-Apr-17 17:01:30

Amazon hat has arrived and it doesn't fit sad. I may order the Arc'teryx Sinsola hat that Choppolata has but I really fancy more of a straw hat.

Lotsawobblybits Wed 05-Apr-17 17:28:00

Are any of these any good?

I struggle as well, very fair skin & dark hair with a mahoosive head!

AuldHeathen Wed 05-Apr-17 17:54:47

I got an xl one from the men's dept in M&S. it's cotton and goes in the washing machine.

AcerTree Wed 05-Apr-17 20:45:56

I have just ordered the Columbia Sun Ridge hat in L-XL (found on site linked to by Lotsawobblybits - thanks very much flowers). Will update when it arrives, but please do keep posting more ideas!

AcerTree Wed 05-Apr-17 20:50:29

Also, I have discovered that lots of Columbia hats come in 2 sizes, S-M and L-XL. There are quite a few on Amazon.

ophiotaurus Thu 06-Apr-17 08:51:42

I too have this problem. I have a Tilley th8 but wanted something more casual. I've just gone for the Arc'teryx one mentionend above in carbon. Thanks!

poppym12 Thu 06-Apr-17 10:38:45

Does anyone use scarves instead of hats? I've been trying to get one to look less laverne & Shirley and more stylish. I need to cover my hair at the front more than anything else. Aging is not fun.

AcerTree Thu 06-Apr-17 10:43:11

ophiotaurus, can you turn the brim downwards on the Tilley TH8? It looks like a lovely hat but I prefer brims to be flat rather than turned upwards.

Libitina Thu 06-Apr-17 10:47:39

I usually end up with mens hats. I have 2 ladies ones. I always try hats on in the hopes that they will fit. So on the extremely rare times that tey do, I buy them.

AcerTree Thu 06-Apr-17 11:31:13

I haven't tried scarves but I do sometimes use a Buff as a wide headband (covers part of forehead depending how you style it) and that helps. Google images 'Buff as a hairband' to see what it looks like. It really helps keep the sun off and is not sweaty.

ophiotaurus Thu 06-Apr-17 21:42:10

Yes you can turn it down but it doesn't sit flat it kind of bends over. I'll see if I can find a pic.

ophiotaurus Thu 06-Apr-17 21:45:12

Like this

AcerTree Thu 06-Apr-17 22:13:24

Thanks, that looks great. I will add it to my list of ones to try!

TheWayYouLookTonight Thu 06-Apr-17 22:20:53

I've got thick hair and a pretty big head and struggle to find hats that fit. I did get a nice one that fitted in White Stuff last summer - maybe have a look there?

choppolata Thu 06-Apr-17 22:48:34

ophio hope you like it! I have the 'allium' blue one.

ophiotaurus Thu 06-Apr-17 23:06:30

Me too it would be nice to have more than one hat! Had the Tilley one for 4 years now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now