Talk

Advanced search

Aldi Slim Free ready meals

(17 Posts)
Dogsmom Thu 28-Sep-17 21:15:36

Has anyone tried them?
I think Slimming world will soon be piling on the legal pressure, they're £2 instead of £3 and lower calories plus the packaging is very similar.
My consultant said there's not official syn value yet.
I'm hoping the tikka is nice, I'd happily eat curry every night and my nearest Aldi is just up the road whereas Iceland is 6 miles away on a busy retail park.

Groovee Fri 29-Sep-17 05:13:08

I reckon it will be like Asda Slimzone all over again!

Dogsmom Fri 29-Sep-17 08:07:51

Me too, they reckon they don't mind competition in the ready meal world but were protecting their trademark as Asda were claiming they were syn free and ok on the extra ready plan which was pretty blatant.
It'll be interesting to watch as the Aldi ones look remarkably like the sw ones so it's pretty obvious which brand they're claiming to be an alternative to.

SW are also being slow to release the syn value which I think is because they're either syn free or they're stalling whilst they talk to their lawyers OR I'm getting way too over invested!!

Pibplob Fri 29-Sep-17 08:13:34

Ooh. Haven't noticed these but will keep my eye out for them - and the syns!

pandorawithtreaclecolouredhair Fri 29-Sep-17 08:41:33

I saw these in Aldi yesterday, and thought they looked worth a try,b u t didn't buy as I wanted to check the syn value first, which still isn't listed on the SW website.

Groovee Fri 29-Sep-17 09:44:20

People put the pasta and meatballs through the calculator. One got 10 and one got 9 syns. The 3 Bean chilli is 3 syns. That’s all I can remember so far.

Dogsmom Fri 29-Sep-17 11:25:44

I've been and bought the chicken tikka massala and the Moroccan vegetable stew.

The online calculator reckons the tikka is free and the stew 1.5 syns per pack, I wonder if I worked it out correctly as they're much lower than the meatballs.

Callmegeoff Thu 05-Oct-17 13:47:55

I've just had the 3 bean one, it's lovely.

CourtneyLoveIsMySpiritAnimal Thu 05-Oct-17 13:57:53

I had the chicken saag one the other day, which according to the syn calculator, was free.

It was vile though. Weak and watery with virtually no taste. I left most of it.

Groovee Thu 05-Oct-17 15:55:17

Ah SW have confirmed they are taking legal action!

Dogsmom Thu 05-Oct-17 21:47:19

Yeah I read that too, very annoying, it'll be interesting to see who wins, they haven't used any SW language ie syns but it's clear which products they're trying to compare to.

Surely it can't be illegal though because loads of products not just Aldi ones have cheaper copy cat varieties.

RosyPony Thu 05-Oct-17 21:48:45

Ready meals, the greatest way to eat healthily and lose weight.

passmethewineplease Sat 07-Oct-17 13:08:35

Surely Aldi are just doing what they have always done?!

I will be buying them for when I'm pushed for time or I'm having a day where I just can't be bothered. The syn calculator is t overly accurate if there's more than one free food in it, like the pasta and meatballs one. Because it only let's you input one free food.

My DP ate the masala one much to my annoyance he said it was really nice.

Magzsi Sat 07-Oct-17 13:25:14

Just tried the tikka Masala and I thought it was nice.
I’m confused though as at 371 calories it’s 18 syns so how did it come up free confused

Waterlemon Sat 07-Oct-17 13:30:01

The latest is that SW are taking them to court for copyright issues, so until issues are resolved they will not be working out a syn value and advise that you use the syn calculator.

passmethewineplease Sat 07-Oct-17 21:24:27

Magszi it has free food in it so you don't use the 20kcal to one syn rule.

Magzsi Sun 08-Oct-17 11:19:52

Of course it does! Omg I had forgotten that, thank you for reminding me smileflowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now