Talk

Advanced search

Testing new MPU placements on Talk

(20 Posts)
SandyMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 02-Mar-17 11:41:24

Hi everyone

We're testing some new positions for our MPU ad format on mobile devices. The test will just be taking place on the Primary education talk topic and the Secondary education talk topic for now, but if you experience any issues we'd really appreciate it if you could feedback on this thread.

Thanks all.

FruSkogKattOla Thu 02-Mar-17 18:17:16

What is MPU? I'm not on education topics, but if you're going to post a thread in Site Stuff it might be quite handy to explain it - before some of us resort to Google.

SoupDragon Thu 02-Mar-17 18:24:11

Blimey, couldn't you have asked nicely??

FruSkogKattOla Thu 02-Mar-17 18:35:15

I was (but not now) confused. Sometimes MNHQ forget that not all of us are up with niche acronyms. I originally imagined it had something to do with education - something which I don't have to be concerned about these days. Perhaps it might have been better if the concept had been described in more detail?

HerrenaHarridan Sat 04-Mar-17 00:29:28

Please stop.

This makes the thread unreadable.
Above, below, either side but not right in the middle.

It feels like the ads are interuppting the conversation sad

HerrenaHarridan Sat 04-Mar-17 00:30:29

This is how it appears on my iPhone 5c through safari.

FruSkogKattOla Sun 05-Mar-17 15:20:10

I wonder if this has something to do with the 'freezing' problem many of us are having www.mumsnet.com/Talk/site_stuff/2868382-Any-progress-with-the-freezing-problem?msgid=67390335?

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sun 05-Mar-17 19:05:03

Please don't roll this out site wide it's so irritating & the fact that mn haven't done it until now is what sets the site apart from other chat forums.

PseudoBadger Sun 05-Mar-17 19:12:36

So so bad! iPhone 5SE on safari.
I know you need ads but there is clearly a major conflict between what your clients require you to show as ads, and what your users find acceptable. If you are going to need as many ads to function then you need to look at the format of the whole forum for mobile users. Wherever the ads are, they either severely affect load time for the page and/or are intrusive like this new nightmare.

PettsWoodParadise Sun 05-Mar-17 19:16:24

A) It makes the site unuseable by freezing it, repeatedly, annoyingly, the time consuminly b) the in thread ads take up four fifths of the screen that even if it were to work make it bloody annoying. C) what was wrong with the ads at top that you've now had to go and break it d) bloody bad timing choosing secondary education thread to test around national offer day - that just isn't 'Cricket'. E) hurumpf

Dontactlikeyouknowme Wed 08-Mar-17 10:39:56

It's a terrible idea.

Noctilucent Wed 08-Mar-17 10:43:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MintToBe Wed 08-Mar-17 13:07:50

I have it. It's turning my feed just like bloody Facebook now and I deactivated that a long while back. Please don't go down that route. It's so annoying. And makes the page so slow. My feedback is that I'm old enough to search for my own adverts if I'm interested in about. Google is my friend 😁

Annesmyth123 Wed 08-Mar-17 13:09:20

It's awful on my iPhone (6 safari) and I keep clicking the ads by mistake when I'm trying to scroll through.

MintToBe Wed 08-Mar-17 13:09:23

But an edit button would be nice.😁

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 08-Mar-17 13:19:18

I understand you need to make money MNHQ, but surely ever bigger and ever more invasive adverts is not the way? There must be other ways a well known brand with huge reach can make money.

-How about affiliate links in your articles and emails you send out(not the boards)

- Paid ad free access to the site

- Charge folk who ask to come on for a we chat to sell themselves (free for interesting people you ask)

-Try and monetise your user testing of products more....

More and more adverts is just going to lead people to use adblocker more.

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 08-Mar-17 17:15:47

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the feedback so far.

We haven't finished the testing period for these new ad placements yet, but please do continue to leave us your thoughts on this thread and feedback any queries you have - we really appreciate it.

Fitzsimmons Wed 08-Mar-17 22:23:15

I've struggled to use the site this evening as it keeps freezing on my phone, coinciding with the ads appearing.

PseudoBadger Thu 09-Mar-17 05:58:52

Nope don't like this placement either

WaitrosePigeon Thu 09-Mar-17 11:40:01

Tacky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now