Talk

Advanced search

Deletion messages of watched threads

(11 Posts)
AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Sun 14-Apr-13 22:58:57

I've just carried out a little test and I don't think you can see the deletion message if you just watch a thread and not post on it.

We have had a lot of trolls recently and often I want to just report and not give them attention, but if you don't post on the thread, you don't see it go, or why. Obviously MNHQ try to email, but understandably that often takes a while.

Would you consider enabling people who have watched a thread to see the deletion message too?

CaramelLatte Sun 14-Apr-13 23:03:31

I have seen the deletion messages in watched posts, couldn't say if it happens every time though.

CaramelLatte Sun 14-Apr-13 23:04:21

Sorry threads not posts.

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Sun 14-Apr-13 23:05:22

I haven't! I've tried a few times. Am I being frozen out!?

Beehatch Sun 14-Apr-13 23:12:34

It did occur to me that 'witty' deletion messages from MNHQ are just asking people to keep feeding the trolls. Never occurred to me that just watching might be an option (or not!). People seem to like being involved in the car crash though.

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Sun 14-Apr-13 23:14:40

It's not so much the witty messages, it's just if I have reported something horrid I like to see that it has gone. And that's not always easy if it's a busy board like Chat. Plus, I do like it that sometimes they tell you it is someone previously banned.

CaramelLatte Mon 15-Apr-13 08:21:59

Just checking back through my TIW history and it seems I am wrong about seeing the deletion message. I must post on more threads than I thought! You make a good point Amanda anyway, think it is a good idea.

BumpingFuglies Mon 15-Apr-13 08:37:40

I tried it too - can't see the deletion message either.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 15-Apr-13 09:14:39

Morning.

And yes, it's on Tech's list to extend the deletion message "viewing" to Threads I'm Watching. But Tech just hasn't managed to get to it yet. Apols: please bear with us.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 15-Apr-13 09:16:10

Beehatch

It did occur to me that 'witty' deletion messages from MNHQ are just asking people to keep feeding the trolls. Never occurred to me that just watching might be an option (or not!). People seem to like being involved in the car crash though.

Hmm. Yes, we are aware of this possibility. And we do hope that folks won't 'feed'.

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Mon 15-Apr-13 12:37:27

Oooh, thanks.

If you get the messages extended to watched threads, you could give a stern polite reminder to people that they could see the outcome this way without feeding suspicious posters?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now