Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Crittal windows - HOW MUCH???!!!!

(49 Posts)
Badweekjustgotworse Sat 26-Aug-17 11:38:36

shockshock

Bloody hell, just had a quote for an interior door and screen... not big 180 wide by 220 high...

Go on guess...

8.5 feckin grand EXCLUDING vat

I think I need to go sit in a dark room and drink some gin (neat) while I recover.

fortifiedwithtea Sat 26-Aug-17 11:44:20

Crittal? Do you mean those metal framed windows? I didn't think they were still in business confused

That is a lot. My DM paid Everest £6500 for double glazed back door and adjoining picture window (for her lounge in her 1960's semi) we all thought that was lot too.

shamoffour Sat 26-Aug-17 11:45:46

Wow! That's a lot!
That said they are absolutely gorgeous though <helpful>

Crumbelina Sat 26-Aug-17 20:00:54

Wow!! I was thinking about an interior Crittal door. I really don't think I'll bother now. We're in the middle of a house renovation and some of the prices have knocked my socks off! Sash windows, slimline sliding doors, polished concrete floors ... many quotes made me shock

Badweekjustgotworse Sat 26-Aug-17 20:19:51

Crumbellina it's shocking isn't it. We're spending over 100k on a renovation and extension and we keep having to downgrade what we're putting in, I honestly thought throwing that amount of money at it would afford us some high end finishes but apparently not. I'm so in the wrong industry.... should've gone into manufacturing/supplying building materials!

Gutted, had my heart set on them sad

Sunnyshores Sat 26-Aug-17 20:23:19

beautiful though (let me know when you find a suitable alternative)

viques Sat 26-Aug-17 20:27:33

Wow. Have you tried eBay to get used ones to refurbish?

Badweekjustgotworse Sat 26-Aug-17 21:12:08

I've done a mass mail out to a load of different companies now. I'd just contacted the most local to me in the first instance and they can sod off at that price so maybe there's cheaper options (but can't imagine it'll come down enough to justify if that's the base line!)

Haven't looked at eBay! Tried gumtree and there was only 1 set of (rusty as fuck) windows on. Will have a look

ConspicuouslyInconspicuous Sat 26-Aug-17 21:15:33

I feel your pain, the folks paid upwards of £85k (not in vat!!!!) for replacement crittal windows earlier this year and then had to get them modified in situ, so they still maintained the conservation standards, to be triple glazed.

Badweekjustgotworse Sat 26-Aug-17 21:32:39

conspicuously hooollleeeey fuck 85 grand?? that's outrageous.

Gingernaut Sat 26-Aug-17 21:37:46

Fuck.

I'm going to spending about 78k on my house. 85k on windows????

Jesus.

HeatedCatFurniture Sat 26-Aug-17 21:47:45

We've had cheaper quotes. Other steel windows are available. Am on a train now but will post some names later on. They are FUCKING dear.

Badweekjustgotworse Sat 26-Aug-17 21:51:21

heatedcat any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thanks

gingernaut crazy isn't it? Congrats on your house purchase wine

Gingernaut Sat 26-Aug-17 22:02:13

Um no.

I bought it years ago.

I've got the builders in. Every time (every fucking, bloody time) they strip back the rotten plaster, there's another horror lurking.

The refurbishment will cost more than the house will eventually be worth.

Two structural steels put in, shut down the water to 36 houses for one day and now the whole ground floor has had to be dug out, tanked, new dpm and concrete because of damp issues.

It's still less than 85k for windows.

Badweekjustgotworse Sat 26-Aug-17 22:05:10

gingernaut

sorry i misread, sounds like you're having a right mare, something stronger than the wine upthread? gin

Gingernaut Sat 26-Aug-17 22:51:30

Teetotal sad

🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫

Badweekjustgotworse Sat 26-Aug-17 23:01:47

well in that case cakecakecakecakecakecakecakecake

Gingernaut Sat 26-Aug-17 23:02:18

grin

OurHouseAtTheEndOfOurStreet Sun 27-Aug-17 06:36:09

Yes do have a look a reclamation yards. They have amazing finds. One place I was looking at recently had the most gorgeous doors which were old shop doors from Selfridges authentic-reclamation.co.uk/stock-item/reclaimed-selfridges-half-glazed-door/ , would have loved to have had those in my house. You'll pay a hell of a lot less even if you pay someone to refurbish them for you plus think of the history in those doors <crazy old history buff> grin

Crumbelina Sun 27-Aug-17 08:00:09

I blame Pinterest, Houzz, Living magazine etc. for my Champagne taste. I was all set to have some nice bi-folds and then I clocked the new slimline sliding doors with minimal frames at Grand Designs - sigh ...

We're probably going to end up spending £100k and that's with us project managing everything ourselves and hiring in the trades. We bought an absolute wreck of a Victorian house almost 3 years ago and we're still going (and uncovering endless problem). Completely naive when we bought it - I thought the whole extension would cost around £40k hmm.

Gingernaut cake cake cake

And just to add to the £85k for windows! shock shock

lastnightiwenttomanderley Sun 27-Aug-17 08:10:50

I work in construction and the rise in popularity of 'cheap' uPVC windows has lulled a lot of people into a false sense of security. (I know it seems U to refer to them as cheap but, compared to the alternatives, they are)

I won't go into the environmental credentials of uPVC as you'll never get me off my soapbox blush
They might be pricey but your windows/doors will look stunning!

silkpyjamasallday Sun 27-Aug-17 08:14:41

Windows are ridiculously expensive, we had our wooden sash front windows 'restored' and that cost £4K. But £8.5k shock avoiding horrid plastic windows will be worth it aesthetically at least.

ConspicuouslyInconspicuous Sun 27-Aug-17 09:25:27

Badweek - it is a ridiculous sum of money but the windows need doing and they must be reolaced like for like.
The joys of conservation areas.

I guess it keeps Crittal going though!

Badweekjustgotworse Sun 27-Aug-17 11:30:34

ourhouse omg, thank you so much for posting that link. That's a G and t with my feet up later scrolling. Some of those are lovely. The joy of being at this stage of the build is that if I saw something I loved we could have the opening created to fit existing doors. You don't by any chance have a blog on you house Refurb? Your name sounds familiar.

lastnight I hadn't (stupidly) even considered the environmental cost of upvc that's another incentive to get trucking along the lines I've been thinking. Sadly there's so much glazing at in the extension plans that there's not a snowballs hope in hell of crittal for the back of the house but we're looking at getting a local aluminium manufacturers to make the glazing for us.... front door and side panels need doing too though so need to formulate a plan of action for that, open to suggestions if you have any!

OurHouseAtTheEndOfOurStreet Sun 27-Aug-17 12:22:35

OMG I'd love to have a house renovation blog! I did exactly what you are suggesting, bought what I wanted and the carpenter built doorframes to fit (not without a bit of grumbling hmm) but I am really pleased with the results. Having original doors or reclaimed features gives a house a bit of depth and character. Not all houses are bursting with ones left over or waiting to be discovered behind every crappy fireplace <bitter, moi?!> so sometimes you have to put them in yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now