Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Milton Keynes

(57 Posts)
FYZT1816 Thu 08-Dec-16 13:57:19

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

We have currently sold our property in Birmingham and are planning to move t south. My DH works in Watford junction and we want to move somewhere that is easy to get to Watford junction. We have two kids our DS is two years old and our DD is 4 months old. At the moment we are looking at Milton Keynes we are looking for a location where there are good schools,local amenities and a place where there are fun activities for children. we would like a 3/4 bedroom house.

FYZT1816 Thu 08-Dec-16 13:59:55

*Sorry what I wanted to know is what locations would you guys suggest? Is there any parts of Milton Keynes we should avoid? I would really appreciate your help and guidance.

Thank you in advance*

YelloDraw Thu 08-Dec-16 14:45:06

Will he drive or get train?
Budget?

There is a big thread on here fro ma few days ago about MK - had lots of tips.

DailyFail1 Thu 08-Dec-16 14:48:43

From MK would suggest the train as we get the fast commuter Virgin train to Watford at 6:26 and would get you there in 20mins. Location depends on budget really. Some of the more desirable parts of MK are becoming similar in cost to Watford/Hatfield etc

Redhound Thu 08-Dec-16 15:32:20

The better parts are the newer estates further out from the centre eg the Shenleys, Tattenhoe. Having quite recently moved to the South West from near Milton Keynes I would think it is a good place to bring up children with lots of green space (don't have children myself though).

FYZT1816 Thu 08-Dec-16 15:33:40

He would be driving but occasionally he might get the train to London. Our budget is up to £475k.

DailyFail1 Thu 08-Dec-16 15:41:38

Ok so for that kind of budget Emerson Valley might be the best bet. Shenleys and Tattenhoe have really inflated recently due to London buyers.

Alternatively - Middleton, Broughton, oakgrove (with waitrose and costco with easy reach) and there are also newer estates being built throughout MK if you like new builds.

DailyFail1 Thu 08-Dec-16 15:42:42

From mk train is the most stress free way to get into London. Get a lot of school traffic from 7am.

FYZT1816 Thu 08-Dec-16 15:54:49

Which areas are closest to the train station? Is two mile ash a good area? An estate agent had called this afternoon and recommend it to me

CassetteTape Thu 08-Dec-16 15:59:28

Shenleys could be good from a school point of view - we are within 10 minutes of outstanding first, middle and secondary schools. DH cycles 10 mins to station and gets the train to London.

DailyFail1 Thu 08-Dec-16 16:18:36

Two Mile Ash is a fantastic area especially for schools.

DailyFail1 Thu 08-Dec-16 16:22:03

Nearly everywhere is within 20mins to the train station on account of the national speed limit roads.

Shenleys are very expensive right now due to an influx of London buyers. Two Mile Ash is still reasonable. Emerson Valley (just behind the Shenleys same catchment for secondary) might give you a bargain right now - one of it's primary schools was rated as 'requires improvement' last year so house prices stagnated but the latest remedial action has rated it 'good' and there is an expectation of 'outstanding' next year. Can get a very good sized 4 bed with garden for your budget.

FYZT1816 Thu 08-Dec-16 17:34:38

Thanks for being so helpful just out of curiosity is Denbigh school better than oak grove school?

DailyFail1 Thu 08-Dec-16 17:46:06

I think Denbigh has a better reputation right now, because Oakgrove is still a new development. However am expecting Oakgrove to surpass as the area is rapidly filling with very affluent people.

DailyFail1 Thu 08-Dec-16 17:48:35

Oakgrove has a waitrose tho so may inflate prices

FYZT1816 Thu 08-Dec-16 18:20:07

Are there a lot of activities for young children in Milton Keynes ?

DailyFail1 Thu 08-Dec-16 18:39:09

Yes. Numerous lakes, climbing, sports, trampolining, classes.

randomsabreuse Thu 08-Dec-16 18:43:06

Two Mile Ash, Great Holm, Loughton, Shenleys are all very close to the station. Marginally further from the Ski Dome but still just walkable if I remember rightly. Water sports at Willen lake a little further away.

HeyMicky Thu 08-Dec-16 18:54:38

We're in one of the villages south of Bletchley. Closer to Leighton Buzzard than MK - I catch the train to Watford Junction for work, about 20 mins. Vair naice villages, and both Stewkley and Great Brickhill have outstanding primaries.

LB is a bit grotty but living between LB and MK you get your choice of amenities and shops. Very green, too.

We paid £418k for a 4 bed, 3 bath with a playroom and study.

FYZT1816 Thu 08-Dec-16 19:32:26

That's a really good price, we are hoping to find something similar do you use the virgin fast train ?

Is Loughton a good area ?

DailyFail1 Thu 08-Dec-16 21:13:53

Loughton is fantastic. LB has the slower London Midland train.

DailyFail1 Thu 08-Dec-16 21:14:25

You may struggle for 475 in the nicer parts of Loughton though.

randomsabreuse Thu 08-Dec-16 21:16:50

Very close to station on foot, was marginally less direct by car, still has old village centre (Leys Road, Church Lane area) as well as many newer (80s on) estates. Close to balancing lakes for walks. Would imagine it's still fairly naice...

DailyFail1 Thu 08-Dec-16 21:23:18

I live near Loughton. Wouldn't say all parts of Loughton are walking distance as in MK you have to use red ways - so you can clock up miles. No direct road side walking routes. Only Shenley Church end is truly walkable on a daily basis.

randomsabreuse Thu 08-Dec-16 21:29:25

Oldest bit is, and if my vague memory is correct closer than Shenley where the first school was (the old one) - I used to walk up the hill and across the foot bridge over the A5/railway from the village green area. School maybe 10 minutes further at 5 year old speed - was a LONG time ago...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now