Talk

Advanced search

Helpful book band/reading age chart

(33 Posts)
Mehfruittea Sat 13-May-17 20:08:49

Found this and thought I was so useful I should share.

It shows ORT book level, colour band, NC level and school year; with whether your child is needing support, in the expected range or more able.

I found it really helpful. smile

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sat 13-May-17 20:16:19

TBH that is quite out of date and the expectations have shifted up quite significantly since 2014.

I would shift the 'support/ expected/ able' ranges two places to the right to match current expectations.

Arkadia Sat 13-May-17 20:22:59

@low, do you mean that expectations have gone down (or, if you like, have been dumbed down) or that the chart was too ambitious?

Mehfruittea Sat 13-May-17 20:27:27

Oh poo! I didn't know it was out of date. What are the expectations now then for exiting Reception? Damn.

My DS has been on Yellow since Christmas but they won't move him up to Blue until the 'able' group in his class are all ready. I'm trying to be calm about it and not feel like they are holding him back. He is reading ORT level 6 at home.

Do I need to be more pushy with school then?!

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sat 13-May-17 20:30:47

No, I mean expectations have gone up.

So now for Y2 on that chart (as and example) I would put 'support' under 6&7, 'expected' under 9-12 and 'more able' under 13&14. Likewise I would shift the ranges for the other year groups 2 boxes to the right.

There are no levels and reading ages don't inform standardised reading scores though so it is not directly applicable to school assessment anyway.

AppleMagic Sat 13-May-17 20:31:23

I think that chart seems to be correct for reception. My dd has finished all the level 3 phonics books and is being given old non-decodable because the level 4 books are kept in year 1 classroom hmm

spanieleyes Sat 13-May-17 20:33:01

No,the opposite. Expectations have gone up. White level is the "age appropriate text" recommended in my authority

spanieleyes Sat 13-May-17 20:34:32

Sorry,White/Lime are the age appropriate texts required at the end of year 2 to be working at expected

AppleMagic Sat 13-May-17 20:34:38

In reception for ORT, spanieleyes?

AppleMagic Sat 13-May-17 20:34:51

X-post!

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sat 13-May-17 20:36:42

Are they actually using ORT? That is also now out of date as a lot of the early stage stuff is not decodable. Your DC should be reading books closely matched to their phonic knowledge.

slightlyglitterbrained Sat 13-May-17 20:37:54

DS is in reception receiving additional support and is on book band 3 atm, so most of his class will be on higher book bands now.

What was the reasoning for increasing expectations?

SleepWhatSleep1 Sat 13-May-17 20:38:16

So what is now expected for at the end of yr1?

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sat 13-May-17 20:48:51

This is the expectation at the end of Y1.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sat 13-May-17 20:50:40

I like that and used it on google search many times but DS' class has a very big range in reception and quite a few are in more able.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sat 13-May-17 20:52:10

Sorry to be dense but what is a Gpc?

mrz Sat 13-May-17 20:54:23

Grapheme phoneme correspondence ( letters /spelling matched to sounds )

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sat 13-May-17 20:55:09

Ty mrz.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sat 13-May-17 20:55:37

grapheme-phoneme correspondence, so see it written- know the sound (or list of potential sounds).

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sat 13-May-17 20:57:26

What was the reasoning for increasing expectations?

The Government just decided that if we did a bit less art and PE they could all read better sooner.

SleepWhatSleep1 Sat 13-May-17 20:58:27

Thanks lowdoor

Mehfruittea Sat 13-May-17 21:00:04

So should I ask for a meeting with the teacher then? I was happy that he is reading more difficult books at home but the are not fully decodable.

Should he just be moved up to the right level for him in class? Or if they are only using decodable books in class, is it possible that he is Yellow for phonics style books but more able when they become less reliant on decoding and more opportunity to use context, guess etc.

Oh I'm so confused now! confused

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sat 13-May-17 21:00:37

The irony that my sn could do with more art and pe as it could help his physical delay but doesn't need help with reading as he is steaming ahead isn't lost on me.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sat 13-May-17 21:01:51

I'd speak to the teacher, yes, but I'm that mum that will suggest the band isn't right once my son has no challenge from the books.

mrz Sat 13-May-17 21:03:37

*"*^*but more able when they become less reliant on decoding and more opportunity to use context, guess etc.*^*"*
Ideally he will never resort to guessing etc as these are very ineffective strategies. If he can't read decodable books he's not going to be able to read other books accurately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now