Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

So how do belly/bump bands work?

(9 Posts)
Aworryingtrend Tue 06-Mar-12 10:08:05

I am only 8 weeks but I think that soon my very fitted work trousers/skirts will be too small round the waist for me. I have seen belly/bump bands onlien and they seem like a good way to continue wearing normal clothes for a while.

But I don't get how they work? So do you just leave your trousers unbuttoned and the bump band goes over the bit where the zip is. I don't get why the trousers don't just...fall down? I really can't see what keeps them up! Butpeople wear them so they must work I guess?! confused

Pascha Tue 06-Mar-12 10:11:30

The very fact you need to leave your trousers unbuttoned means you have expanded enough to hold your trousers up like this. They are very useful for the interim period before maternity clothes fit.

Pascha Tue 06-Mar-12 10:12:54

Also, you can use an elastic band/hairband wrapped around the button, looped through the button hole and back around the button to give you some security if you only need to loosen it a bit, then the bump band over the top hides the gap.

Bump bands are genius! I bought a three pack from New Look website after being recommended them by someone on the due in Aug thread. They're basically like boob tubes for your bump grin

So you put your trousers on as normal, but don't do them up (assuming your normal trousers still fit everywhere else apart from bump area). Pull the bump band up over the top, put a top on - and hey presto - your trousers stay put, no one can see that they're not done up, and if you match your top to the bump band it just looks like clever layering.

I'm 18+3 and I've only had to buy one pair of mat jeans and a pack of bump bands, as it's all bump so everything else fits fine.

They are a really good investment, and much more comfy than a hairband IMO smile

www.newlook.com/shop/womens/maternity/3pk-bump-bands_240639104

Good luck! (and congrats!)

Aworryingtrend Tue 06-Mar-12 11:54:10

Thank you, the elastic band trick seems like a good one to make me feel a bit more secure. I just had a nightmare vision of my trousers ending up round my ankles at work!

Does anyone have any recommendations for brands, orare they all much of a muchness?

Thanks

Shelduck Tue 06-Mar-12 12:19:25

I didn't find the bump band kept my trousers up on its own, but I used it with an elastic snake belt (you know - this sort of thing only mine was a cheapy off ebay). I could adjust the belt as much as I wanted, and easy to unhook discretely when sat down. That kept my trousers up, and the bump band covered up the gaps. Still using this method for jeans at week 26, although no longer secure enough for work!

Minty82 Tue 06-Mar-12 12:29:50

They're brilliant - I've been wearing one constantly for the past eight months. They cover up the gape in your trousers while you're still able to squeeze into your normal ones, and once you're in mat jeans they allow you to carry on wearing more or less normal tops, as any gap is covered and just looks like layering - gives you a nice smooth line and makes you feel a bit more secure and look more put together. I bought mine on Amazon - the brand's called Emma-Jane.

Pascha Tue 06-Mar-12 15:48:39

Mine were 3 for a tenner in H&M.

Gemlea Mon 18-Apr-16 14:43:15

The bands are great, especially when combined with this...
www.amazon.co.uk/401-Multi-One-Size-Belly-Belt/dp/B0010X4F02
Basically a more sophisticated version of the elastic band trick. I only had to use one of the belts but it depends which jeans/trousers you're wearing. I'd say it was worth the money for me and meant I didn't have to buy too much maternity clothing.
Also, since having the baby, I've found the bands useful to wear under any top when breastfeeding. It means you don't have to worry about showing your belly but can still easily access your nursing bra under your top.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now