Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Craving a cold pork pie straight from the pack! Can I?

(60 Posts)
crackerqueen Sat 09-Jul-11 17:27:24

Surely I can, can't I?
It has to be cold from the pack, you know Melton Mowbray, or from a supermarket deli. I want that jelly stuff! I know it would be fine to eat a pork pie that's reheated and "piping hot" but I don't want that!
Please advise me - I am going mad! confused

HarderToKidnap Sat 09-Jul-11 17:29:00

I've eaten an entire pack of cold pork pies this week. Why wouldn't you be allowed?

crackerqueen Sat 09-Jul-11 17:47:47

Hardertokidnap - Your post has made my mouth water! People are always telling me to avoid cold meats. Listeria etc. I've managed to live without Parma ham & chorizo but the thought of a good, honest pork pie has been keeping me awake. When I was pregnant with DD I was much more laid back about food, but I'm paranoid this time.

Tommy Sat 09-Jul-11 17:49:55

course you can! I knew I was pregnant with DS2 when I craved a pork pie and bought one straightaway and ate it in the car

(who eats pork pies hot?! hmm)

Beccabop Sat 09-Jul-11 17:56:21

Oooh lovely, go for it smile Ive eaten a lot of those throughout my pregnancy, yummy

JenniL1977 Sat 09-Jul-11 18:02:26

It's not all cold meats you should avoid, it's cured meats that aren't cooked. So, ham is fine as it's cooked, Parma ham and salami not because they're cured. Or so they say.
Pork pies rock! Go for it!
(and hot ones, straight from the oven at the butchers are awesome smile)

crackerqueen Sat 09-Jul-11 18:14:47

Thank you all! I will be sending DH out with instructions not to come back without at least a week's worth of chewy, jelly, meaty pork pies! Hooray!

I hate it when my common sense disappears under a ton of paranoia and rubbish advice. Enjoy your pies, everyone!

lookout Sat 09-Jul-11 19:38:59

I had massive cravins for these in the 1st trimester and I think almost ate my body weight in mini ones. Usually in the car on the way from shopping every time i went near a supermarket. Sometimes I made up excuses of stuff I needed to buy so I could get a pork pie too. I usually hate the jelly but I craved it!! I got paranoid same as you around the 14 week mark and haven't had any since (now 25 weeks). I will be getting one next time I'm out shoping though if everyone thinks they're ok!

Beamur Sat 09-Jul-11 19:40:21

They eat hot pork pies in Yorkshire. Usually served with mushy peas and mint sauce. Boak.

usualsuspect Sat 09-Jul-11 19:41:17

Hot pork pies? I've never heard the like

pookamoo Sat 09-Jul-11 19:42:12

mmmm when I was pg with DD (now 2.7), my DH used to joke that she would come out with a curly tail, the amount of pork pies, ham, bacon and sausages I ate! grin

Weird, what your body wants, isn't it?

She's fine, by the way... no curly tail but she does like sausages!

FessaEst Sat 09-Jul-11 19:43:11

Urgh, never had one hot! Love them cold with salad/pickle etc, and have eaten them many times in pregnancy. I can't think of any reason why they would be any less advisable than ham say?

(I do always got for genuine Melton ones, with the tractor symbol if possible, as I don't like to think too deeply about what goes into them!)

superjobeespecs Sat 09-Jul-11 19:50:56

mmm cold mini pork pies are lush smile hot ones are good too but just now, i dont know why but baby hates almost all hot food hmm so even if i wanted to i couldnt have a hot one. -- really want to nip to asdas now--

crackerqueen Sat 09-Jul-11 19:50:59

Wow! Great to know how many of you out there have been thinking of pork pies as much as I have!
Fessaest - yes, my DH has been trying to tell me that the ingredients are questionable, but the tractor mark will bring him round. TBH - my on/off cravings have totally confused him! 1 week sweet & creamy, the next sour & tangy, then salty & pink (pork pies!) etc.

Anyone else thinking about Brannigan's ham & mustard crisps? Yum!

JenniL1977 Sat 09-Jul-11 21:06:39

Beamur yep, I'm in Yorkshire smile
I don't like mushy peas, but they go mad for that here.
But seriously, hot pork pies for breakfast. Nom.
<goes to text staff who live near pork pie shop to make them bring me one on Monday>

PinkFondantFancy Sat 09-Jul-11 23:30:25

Mmmmmmm pork pies- I can't eat enough of them!! Mmm the lovely crispy pastry and the gungy jelly! I also normally hate the jelly, weird eh? Oh I could sooo fancy one now!

Skillbo Sat 09-Jul-11 23:45:02

I am loving pork pies this time round! Was a bit worried I would come on here and see it was a really bad thing but thankfully, can continue to wolf them down on almost a daily basis smile

BonzaBlue Sun 10-Jul-11 01:41:14

Shhhhhh I am in a small town in Australia and have been craving pork pies for AGES !!! I was so excited last weekend as I found some for sale at the local supermarket - rushed home to eat them for lunch and they were horrible. The pastry was all wrong, there was no jelly in it nothing ....

I was soooo disappointed and now I really want one .... I do miss Tescos ...

crackerqueen Sun 10-Jul-11 13:16:29

Quite a popular craving then, girls?! The next thing would be to work out if we're having boys or girls! Just to let you know that I have had four mini pork pies for my lunch and they were out of this world!

pinkfondantfancy - I used to hate the jelly stuff stuff too! Now it's alll I think about!

BonzaBlue - poor you, I really feel for you. Such a British food to crave! I'll have a couple for you tonight.

SpannerPants Sun 10-Jul-11 14:04:48

I've just had to go and buy some mini pork pies because of this thread, and I've eaten 3 in one go for lunch - soooo good grin

redexpat Sun 10-Jul-11 15:59:11

Only if you're having them with pickle, or tomato adn chilli jam, or similar.

Have never heard of the notion of eating a potk pie hot.

redexpat Sun 10-Jul-11 15:59:57

pork pie. Hermione Granger I am not blush

TrinaLuciusMalfoy Sun 10-Jul-11 17:04:19

I craved pork pies through both pregnancies and could quite happily eat a huge one in one sitting. IMHO best with cold new potatoes and GALLONS of mayonnaise - if you want anything with them that is!

I'm on a quest to find the 'perfect' pork pie. Right consistency of pastry, sufficient jelly, right taste to the meat. I've yet to find one that ticks all the boxes...

lookout Sun 10-Jul-11 17:26:30

That's it. I was trying to reist but first thing tomorrow I'm going to Saino's and I am buying two snack pork pies for my lunch. You are all wicked wicked women.

Cattleprod Sun 10-Jul-11 19:28:33

<boak> at the jelly. I'm guessing this must be the first pregnancy for most of you because that jelly just looks a bit too much like the mucus plug 'show' that comes out just before you give birth! I have to pick it out if I ever fancy a pork pie now. The pastry is amazing though!

If you must have one, probably best to choose a wrapped one from the chiller cabinet that's well within it's use by date, rather than a naked one that's been festering on the deli counter for a couple of days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now