Talk

Advanced search

Any disabled mum's with advice to offer?

(4 Posts)
DanceMagicDance1 Tue 23-Apr-19 14:45:24

Hi. I have just started trying to conceive. I have wanted to have a baby for a while but not really been trying very hard, I think part of that is being scared about how it will affect my health. I have a spinal injury that I've had since I was a baby, I have spoken to doctors and they are happy for me to go ahead but have said it will be hard for me. Is there anyone out there who has been through this already or is about to who can offer me any advice or support?

Baldcrusader Sun 13-Oct-19 09:06:55

Think it will depend on the severity of the injury and what issues you have now. Can you provide some more details please?

Rocsand03 Sat 07-Dec-19 16:13:33

Hi I spoke to doctors before I got married about giving birth. Having Spina Bifida is a bit different from having a spinal injury but what they said to me in some areas may be similar. You don’t mention if you are in a wheelchair or whatever but I am, they said I would have to get more scans and also anti clot injections because I don’t live around like others. The baby itself would have had a small chance of getting Spina Bifida but really none of these things would have been enough to put me off the idea. I know exactly what to expect having had the condition all my life and around others with varying degrees of it so I was prepared. ... in the end we didn’t go down that route and decided to adopt but that was more because we always felt we wanted to and absolutely nothing to do with reasons given above.
I have lots of friends with Spina injuries with children and they manage perfectly fine. Just go over all your information before and you’ll be ready for it. There are loads of sites offering disabled parenting tips and equipment if needed. Good luck xx

Rocsand03 Sat 07-Dec-19 16:15:29

Sorry, I don’t move around like others ... not ‘live’ lol x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »