Talk

Advanced search

Someone was just very kind to me

(288 Posts)
Sairelou Thu 09-Mar-17 14:53:14

I'm still feeling a bit emotional about it too!

I took DCs to Morrisons cafe as we needed a couple of bits on the way home from the park and they were getting hungry. I went to pay and my contactless card wasn't working blush I couldn't remember my PIN either and after a couple of tries I was getting really flustered and hoping the ground would swallow me up. Typically I had left my credit card at home and no cash on me. I went to get DS who was sitting down at a nearby table to leave (bracing myself for the inevitable tantrum, understandably!) and the gentleman behind me in the queue offered to pay for our lunch!

I've put something on my FB page and hoping to track him down so I can repay him and I will certainly do the same if I see anyone else in that situation (provided I can remember my sodding PIN). smile

Lumpylumperson Thu 09-Mar-17 14:57:35

That's very lovely.

Stuff like that remind me there's still good people in the world.

I remember my DC being very little (I had 3 under 2) and I was out with them, eldest was about 3 and DTS were toddling along. They all had a massive tantrum and eventually I just burst into tears blush (very, very tired and emotional reaction - not my finest moment)!

This lovely woman came over and gave me a hug, picked up DTs and walked me back to my car and helped me out them all in their seats. She gave me another big hug and told me not to worry, tomorrow was another day and everyone gets exhausted.

I think of her every now and then, what a lovely lady.

UnbornMortificado Thu 09-Mar-17 14:58:07

That's lovely, I gave someone 2.50 for hospital parking a few weeks ago, they were really pleased. It was my attempt at paying it forward in advance.

Chocolateorangegoblin Thu 09-Mar-17 15:01:45

Aw lovely OP. A lady in Waterstones gave me a book token as she over heard me telling DS I had lost his one the other. DS was very pleased with his new book!

BaymaxismyHero Thu 09-Mar-17 15:07:39

What a lovely man.
There is hope out there that this world isn't totally screwed up!

KERALA1 Thu 09-Mar-17 15:11:27

A nice lady signed me into Kew Gardens as her guest when I went there on my own with Dd when she was a baby.

BeachysSnowyWellieBoots Thu 09-Mar-17 15:17:15

Someone was lovely to me today as well. I dropped my phone in the woods car park after a dog walk, I rushed back when I realised and there was a group of workmen coming towards me, one with a big grin and my phone.... I almost kissed him smile

SapphireStrange Thu 09-Mar-17 15:22:41

Aw, I love these threads.

waitingforgodot Thu 09-Mar-17 15:23:13

Love these stories! On holiday last year, lady in front of us paid for us all to get in to farm park for free as she had a membership card

TheDogsMother Thu 09-Mar-17 15:25:59

Some people parked just near our house recently just as we were going out. They asked if there were any nice walks locally so I told them about one, said it was a bit complex to explain but I'd go and find it online and print it out for them. Off they went with their instructions and v happy. When we got home a few hours later we found the instructions by the front door with 'Thanks' scribbled on them and a jar of delicious lemon curd from a very lovely deli nearby. They really didn't need to do it but it was a lovely (and delicious) gesture. If you are reading, nice people, thank you.

Willow2017 Thu 09-Mar-17 15:26:03

My nieghbour was washing his car earlier. I joked with him asking if it was 'Bob a job' day and I would give him a couple of 'bob' to wash mine.
15 mins laster he came to the door asking for a squirt of washing up liquid which I gave him. He then preceeded to wash my car too and laugh at the stunned look on my face. grin

Twopeapods Thu 09-Mar-17 15:28:33

Love this kind of thread. I give people change and have paid for the odd car park or ticket if I see someone is struggling. And people have done the same for me.

BretonRose Thu 09-Mar-17 15:28:49

That's lovely.

Years ago, I was on the tube one day on my way to work, trying really hard not to cry (my mum had just died) and not really succeeding. A very elegantly dressed gent noticed and gave up his seat for me. When I got up to get off, he was obviously getting off at the same stop. With one hand he tipped his hat, he held out his other arm to hold back other passengers so I had a clear path to the opening door without being jostled and ensuring I could get off first. Whilst doing all this he sort of bowed. I managed to quietly say thank you and he just smiled and nodded.

It made an unbearable day bearable. So much grace and kindness.

luckylucky24 Thu 09-Mar-17 15:29:38

Willow can I borrow your neighbour pleasssse?

BlackMirror Thu 09-Mar-17 15:29:52

That's lovely, but why do people go onto Facebook to track people down after? He was right there, you could've asked for his address to pay him back ?

user1487450864 Thu 09-Mar-17 15:31:12

I have been driving for about 28 years & have never hit a car. Last week I went to change lanes on a roundabout & heard that horrible metal noise. I was mortified but slightly relieved to see I had only taken out his wing mirror.
We exchanged details & the next day I received a text from the gentleman driver who said he had a quote of £80 & he would get it sorted . I said I would transfer the money to his account.
He said " no honestly, I will get it sorted myself you don't need to pay"

I had a little boo at his kindness.

I hope I can Pay It Forward int he very near future

WhatchaMaCalllit Thu 09-Mar-17 15:32:37

One time I was shopping in Northern Ireland and I hadn't any coins to get a trolley and a lovely lady gave me a £1 so I could go shopping.

I had thought the trolley tokens were the same wherever you go but it turned out that the Euro tokens are just the tiniest bit different in diameter and thickness that they don't work in the UK.

I was ever so grateful to that lady so whenever I'm shopping up North (I live in Dublin), I always make sure that I have a UK trolley token and a pound coin to work the trolleys, just in case someone else is ever in my position!

Willow2017 Thu 09-Mar-17 15:33:04

Lucky
No way he might not come back grin

shovetheholly Thu 09-Mar-17 15:44:01

Someone once gave me the money for hospital parking when DH had had an accident. I'd had to drive him there dripping blood all over the place and I was in a state close to hysteria when I realised I had to pay for the carpark and didn't have change. I just wanted to be inside with him! It felt like my hand was being held by a complete stranger.

MusicToMyEars800 Thu 09-Mar-17 15:54:00

that is a lovely read smile I hope you manage to track him down even if it's to say thank you.

Sairelou Thu 09-Mar-17 15:56:48

BlackMirror, I was trying to get my 18mo into a high chair and open hers and my DS's lunch for them. I'm the immediate aftermath I was flustered and embarrassed and wanted the ground to swallow me up. I could barely say anything but thank you! When I had composed myself and had looked around as we were leaving but I couldn't see him.

There is always one trying to put a downer on things isn't there hmm

SpaceDuck Thu 09-Mar-17 15:58:48

Aww I like this thread!

When I was heavily pregnant in the height of summer, me and DP popped into a small shop to grab a drink, we had no cash and and the card machine was broken. We were just about to leave but a kind lady who was behind us in the que insisted on giving us then £2 and just said pay it forward.

I gave money to someone who didn't have enough change in a car park the following week. -hope someone's story is about me- wink

MycatsaPirate Thu 09-Mar-17 16:00:16

Threads like this remind me that there are very kind people in the world. We should all take time to give a kindness where we can.

Yesterday we were loading our shopping in the shop and the lady in front was juggling her toddler and her shopping. She was trying to pack and her little boy kept wandering off. Me and Dp sort of coralled him in between our trolley and the other end of the checkout so she could pack and pay. She was very grateful as her boy wasn't well and she had to get out for some essentials. I know how hard it can be in that situation so instead of tutting like some, why not offer to help, either by packing her stuff or keeping an eye on her child?

We have had many kindnesses given to us over the years. Too many to list but the one that made me absolutely sob was the huge delivery of food shopping a few days before Xmas where 28 friends had clubbed together to help us out. My dp was in hospital, we had no money and life was horrible. I still remember my kids excitement helping to unpack the bags and finding selection boxes for them. Magical.

SpaceDuck Thu 09-Mar-17 16:05:35

Oww strike through fail blush

Also a post further up just reminded me of when we move into our house the neighbour over the road had printed the bin schedule off for us and sent a lovely card saying welcome to the street and to just ask if we ever need anything.

Shes currently out the front mowing the neighbours lawn. I hope she does mine too grin

EnidButton Thu 09-Mar-17 16:06:17

Breton I've teared up a bit at that. I'm sorry for the loss of your Mum. flowers Glad the lovely man was so kind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now