Talk

Advanced search

Oh Christ I have done something incredibly stupid, please can I have some advice?

(231 Posts)
CripplinglyStupid Sun 17-Jan-16 19:22:02

Cooking this evening. I am not a big cook. Made a delicious dinner, and then went to move the pot off the glass hob.

The cast iron casserole dish won't move. It appears to have welded to the glass. It overboiled a tiny bit when cooking and I thought nothing of it but now I cannot fucking get it off.

I live with flatmates in a rented house. A quick google warns me the glass will probably shatter if I just wrench it, not that I think I can anyway because it is stuck fast. A website recommended a long thin razor and some aerosol lubricant - which I do not have and can't easily get on a Sunday evening, but I have had a try with a sachet of sex lube and a fish slice.

Please help me! I absolutely cannot shatter the glass and the pot belongs to my flatmates so I can't just leave it there. We all use each other's things so she won't mind that I've used it, but I can see her becoming alarmed if I have to admit I can't get it off the glass. Pot cost nearly £90 and I do not want to have to replace it.

What should I do? What might work?

Princecharlesfirstwife Sun 17-Jan-16 19:23:49

WD40? Perhaps? I have no idea tbh.

MrsH1989 Sun 17-Jan-16 19:24:29

I think you need to leave it to cool down. Then try washing up liquid to get it off.

TheSpottedZebra Sun 17-Jan-16 19:24:39

Dental floss and sort of saw it off?

steakpunararemediumwelldone Sun 17-Jan-16 19:24:49

Is it welded because something has dripped and dried or because of the pot itself ?

Pobspits Sun 17-Jan-16 19:25:01

Amazed that sex Lube and a fish slice didn't work - that's always my go to combination for kitchen emergencies!

Try hairspray? Do you have a palate knife? Or maybe a kirby grip unfolded to pick round the edges?

DaggerEyes Sun 17-Jan-16 19:25:03

Get some plasticine, build a wall around it, fill with water?? If you let it soak in its mini pool long enough, do you think it will loosen??

Lucidlady Sun 17-Jan-16 19:25:36

Leave it to cool down then spray some kitchen cleaner around the base, that might loosen it.

steakpunararemediumwelldone Sun 17-Jan-16 19:25:38

If it's food product could you turn the hob back on, melt it, remove hob and clean from there.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 17-Jan-16 19:25:47

Has it cooled down totally? Not the glass and the iron will contract when it does. The fish slice is too angled - you'll need to get something longer and thinner and try and slide it underneath. Don't hack away at it as it could scratch the glass badly. Try wiping around it tonight with detergent and hot water and try and get some under any gaps - it may help soak off whatever has burned on

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 17-Jan-16 19:26:10

Squirt washing up liquid around the base and leave it for five mins then try to gently get it moving.

Diggum Sun 17-Jan-16 19:26:16

Really hot water in the pot and a standard knife to chisel around the side? It must be the over oiled stuff that's stuck because the glass really shouldn't melt. That defeats the whole purpose of a glass hob.

I'm also PMSL at the idea of sex lube and a fish knife meeting in a sentence!

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 17-Jan-16 19:26:22

Amazed that sex Lube and a fish slice didn't work - that's always my go to combination for kitchen emergencies!

That's just made me cry with laughter.

OP, is it cool now? If not, let it cool first.

P1nkP0ppy Sun 17-Jan-16 19:26:23

Wait until the hob and the casserole are cold then try pouring some boiling water on the hob to see if it'll go under the casserole and free it?
I can't imagine it's the casserole welded to the hob, presumably it's the boiled over liquid sticking the two together.
Or have you got any fine wire that you could try slicing under the casserole?

Diggum Sun 17-Jan-16 19:26:53

Over-boiled stuff, not over oiled.

LineyReborn Sun 17-Jan-16 19:27:12

Ok it is 'glued' by a gravy type fluid. You need to let it go cold as pp said, and get some water in around it. Then add more water gradually around the edges until you can gently start to move it.

IAmPissedOffWithAHeadmaster Sun 17-Jan-16 19:27:35

Put some water in the pot so yu don't damage the pot, whack the heat up full on the ring and boil the fuck out of the bugger. The shit will turn to carbon burnt stuff and you should be grand.

scrappydappydoo Sun 17-Jan-16 19:28:12

Have you tried just wetting round the edges with hot water and leaving it for awhile - sort of like soaking it in the sink. It might soften whatever is welding it to the glass.

TheCunnyFunt Sun 17-Jan-16 19:28:17

I'm sorry but am laughing so much at 'sex lube and a fish slice' grin grin grin

EponasWildDaughter Sun 17-Jan-16 19:28:17

I think lots of water will soften it too. Soapy water, tepid. Wrap really wet dishcloths round it and leave it to soak.

I don;t think the glass has melted or anything. I think it's stuck with the food overflow.

After a long soak stab around with the tip a of a sharp knife to loosen it and then soak a bit more! Good luck.

babyiwantabump Sun 17-Jan-16 19:29:55

Nothing helpful to add just want to see what happens!

IAmPissedOffWithAHeadmaster Sun 17-Jan-16 19:32:32

If it's just overboiled and stuck to the glass hob, then if you turn up the heat and boil the pot, eventually the stuck stuff will turn to black carbon like the shit in the bottom of my oven, and it'll come off.

cakesonatrain Sun 17-Jan-16 19:33:17

I'm mostly intrigued by a sachet of lube.

LineyReborn Sun 17-Jan-16 19:33:45

Maybe the sex lube turns to superglue when over heated.

IAmPissedOffWithAHeadmaster Sun 17-Jan-16 19:33:49

I want to know if the lube was flavoured.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now