Talk

Advanced search

How good is Dylon machine dye?

(20 Posts)
pleasechange Thu 21-Aug-08 15:21:26

I have a light blue coat that I want to dye mid-blue or navy, not sure yet. Was thinking of using Dylon. What are your experiences, and would you recommend it?

savoycabbage Thu 21-Aug-08 15:29:21

I have just dyed last years school blouses from white to yellow. I got the dye from e-bay for 99p! It worked really well.

It does depend on what it's made of as it doesn't dye man made fabrics. So you have to think about the thread and things too. They have got a website I think.

Flightlite Thu 21-Aug-08 15:32:32

Check your seams. If the stitching is light blue, it will probably stay that way so you'll have a contrast seam iyswim. I dyed a white skirt once and the seams stayed white, it looked awful!

Otherwise dylon very good. It is a bit hit and miss as to what colour you end up with though. I always just risk it and sometimes it is a hit and sometimes dire!

Great fun though...smile

pleasechange Thu 21-Aug-08 15:37:24

Thanks - that's a good point about the stitching, I'll check that, and will also have a look on their website

Flightlite Thu 21-Aug-08 15:41:34

If your stitching is cotton thread you should be Ok smile

I love dylon. I used some last week and instead of dark brown it came out a sort of meconium green hmm

I emailed them and they sent me two more packets of meconium dark brown in case it was a duff batch. I haven't tried them yet...

pleasechange Thu 21-Aug-08 15:48:30

pmsl re. meconium green - lovely!

I vaguely remember using dylon in a lauderette to restore some greying jeans to black when I was a student. Go some really funny looks from people seeing what was going on in the machine! Have never tried it in my own maching though, or do dye something a different colour. Like you say, it will be fun seeing what happens!

JRocks Thu 21-Aug-08 15:52:00

It's great stuff - but like has been said you could end up with contrast stitching. Which is an interesting look smile

brimfull Thu 21-Aug-08 16:15:40

I have just dyed a white t-shirt navy and it's come out sort of girl guide blue hmm
I used a hand dye though not the machine one.
I also may have gone over the weight limit by adding another shirt to the bowl hence diluting it somewhat.But hard to believe that judging by the water.
I'd like to try and dye it again darker somehow.
I DO HAVE WHITE STITChing showing on the edges but as it is only a t-shirt I don't mind.

umbungo Thu 21-Aug-08 16:15:50

does the dye linger in the machine? would you do a rinse cycle after using dye.

expatinscotland Thu 21-Aug-08 16:16:59

i like it and use it often, but mostly i dye white stuff to another colour.

no, you don't need to rinse the machine afterwards.

umbungo Thu 21-Aug-08 16:17:15

yuck. why did i use the word linger!

umbungo Thu 21-Aug-08 16:19:08

will the dyed item be colourfast in future washes?

brimfull Thu 21-Aug-08 16:19:56

oyu need to wash separately for a few washes

expatinscotland Thu 21-Aug-08 16:19:57

it won't for the first wash, but after that it's good to go.

RustyBear Thu 21-Aug-08 16:20:49

Depends on the machine - the packet does suggest doing an empty wash afterwards, but it may not be enough- I dyed something black the other day & the dye went into the door seal & I had to clean it out by hand.

Flightlite Thu 21-Aug-08 16:30:29

They changed it recently I think as you now use the dye on a 40 degree wash. I used to shrink things doing them at 60 grin

I love dylon.

Always go at it with an open mind unless you have a sixth sense about colour...I have had planned successes and a lot of weird outcomes that were actually quite nice.

I find brown is usually alright in most shades, but not this time...though I sit here typing in my meconium t shirt with white stitching blush

It grew on me...

One time I wanted to dye some vintage pom pom braid. It was lurid green and orange. (yuk)
So I used red, and it turned ut like I imagined - brown where the green had been, and red where the orange was. Very fetching.

PinkyDinkyDooToo Thu 21-Aug-08 21:03:39

Cotton should dye to the colour on the box. Poly cotton will be lighter. I have used it loads and found it really good

southeastastra Thu 21-Aug-08 21:04:47

i have ruined many clothes with machine dye grin

fizzbuzz Thu 21-Aug-08 21:20:19

I've had problems with left over dye as well, despite running machine with bleach on a hot wash to clear dye out.

It happened twice, the second time I did it, I ran an empty wash twice, but it still left residue which ran onto other washing

slb306 Mon 29-Aug-16 18:16:50

I am a Dylon addict!

Used to refresh teenagers expensive black jeans - £4 instead of £80! Came out like new... Now use to refersh OH work trousers too.

Rescued very expensive (£150 plus) bright blue linen dress which had a contretemps with some undiluted blackcurrant squash which would not budge. Used black and came out inky black - in fact made it more wearable!

Recoloured OH linen shirt to charcoal grey from yellowy white.

Regularly refresh our brightly coloured plain bathroom towels, fabric fine just coloured a bit faded and agin - like new.

Agree with note of caution about manmade fabrics though. It does not cover well at all but this is clear on the instructions.

Always use the washing machine one, make sure you do follow the instructions inlcuding the rewash afterwards, then you will be fine. Slight marks on (old) rubber seal but has not affected any other washing.

I now buy whenever on offer but even at full price - a whacking great £5, this is so worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now