Talk

Advanced search

Decided against vaccinations for dd...... thoughts please

(203 Posts)
bogie Wed 07-Jan-09 12:54:26

We had full intentions of vaccinating dd (ds-3 had his baby vaccines but no mmr) but our helth visitor left we haven't had a health visitor since dd was 2 weeks old, our gp practice is rubbish and even though I registered dd after the birth they lost the slip and had no record of it.
So we didn't hear anything about her jabs and when they needed to see her, nor did I have a postnatal 10 week check.
I phoned a few weeks ago when they said they didn't know we had a new baby and that someone must of misplaced the forms dd is now 4 months(18 weeks) and they said we need to get her in asap for her jabs but they have no appointments untill the 16th of Jan, We fly to USA on the 16th so we can't do that day she said well thats al we hae so it will have to be when you get back in feburary.

So I decided to reserch the vaccines and came across lots of anti-vaccine sites including this one
www.vaclib.org/
articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/11/11/some-parents-are-home-schooling-their-kids-to -avoid-vaccinations.aspx and we have decided not to vaccinate her based on the many sites we have come across, also the fact that we have alot of autisum in our family including my younger brother who had the mmr whereas I didn't have the mmr.

So I am interested to hear other peoples poins of veiw

Beachcomber Wed 07-Jan-09 13:05:11

I suspect that you will get lots of posters predicting doom, telling you about the risks of measles and so on and belating your lack of social responsibility.

I have two children. One is vaccine damaged and the other is unvaccinated.

If you have a family history of autism I would be very prudent.

lou031205 Wed 07-Jan-09 13:13:37

Have you seen the news today? UK has largest outbreak of measles.

Absolutely nutty not to vaccinate in all but the most extreme cases, imho, like known sensitivity or previous vaccine damage in the immediate family.

Having said that, as a mother you have to do what you believe safeguards your DC more. For some people that decision making process will lead to vaccinations, for others, the opposite.

katch Wed 07-Jan-09 13:19:05

I thought the outbreaks usually occured among vaccinated children.

Beachcomber Wed 07-Jan-09 13:33:18

Which vaccines are you talking about though lou031205 when you say it is nutty not to give them?

All vaccines are not equal in terms of risk and efficacy and the diseases they protect against are not of equal risk for all individuals.

For example rubella is of little risk to boys and mumps to girls therefore logically it is not the least bit nutty to refuse these vaccinations for the relevent sexes.

HuwEdwards Wed 07-Jan-09 13:38:07

Well you may not be interested in my view as I think your decision is foolish.

LaDiDaDi Wed 07-Jan-09 13:44:21

I also think that your decision not to give your child protection against the illness immunised against in infancy is foolish.

These are not illnesses that are trivial or that rarely occur. Meningococcal disease, Haemophilus and Pneumococcus are all causing death and disability daily in the UK. Whilst Diptheria, Tetanus and Pertussis may be less common they are still significant illnesses, pertussis particularly so in small babies.

FAQtothefuture Wed 07-Jan-09 13:46:31

OK - if you were talking about the MMR - I would say that's your choice. However if I read your thread properly then you're talking about not giving them any of the vaccinations, incdluing the 2/3/4 months ones shock!

CharleeinChains Wed 07-Jan-09 13:52:59

Well if my son caught something nasty from someone's child who hadn't been immunised i would be bloody angry, especially since something like whooping cough could make him seriously unwell - think of other children as well as your own.

BlueSapphire77 Wed 07-Jan-09 14:03:56

What about paying to have them done seperately hun..may be less risky? And at least baby has had them then.
Your child, your decision..
I had all vaccinations done on my first 2, no harm done but having read a lot of the stuff about MMR i am considering paying to have them seperate.

lou031205 Wed 07-Jan-09 14:04:04

I think in general, that if our Government is willing to pay for the vaccinations for all children, it is because they judge that the risk of those illnesses is worth the expense. They are all terrible in the worst cases, and no-one can predict who is going to have a mild incident or a severe one.

I am not really up for a debate though, too many RL health things going on with DD to spend time debating theoretical situations with people.

basementbear Wed 07-Jan-09 14:04:13

Unless you have a family history of reactions to jabs I agree that you are unwise not to have the vaccinations. As Charlee says, it affects others not just your own DCs. Presumably you have a red health check book - all the info on when you need to get jabs and checkups done is in there so blaming the GP/health visitor is no excuse.

modernart Wed 07-Jan-09 14:10:43

Also I wouldn't take a young baby to the US without immunisation.

Please immunise your baby

IsaacsFabMummy Wed 07-Jan-09 14:12:20

absolutely batty decision. how can a holiday be more important than your childs health? hmm

Heathcliffscathy Wed 07-Jan-09 14:13:14

have all of you that are saying she is nuts read lots and lots of literature for and AGAINST vaccines?

ignorance is bliss ime. i wish I had never come across the anti-vax literature in some ways. life would be far far simpler and I wouldn't worry myself sick about my decision not to vaccinate ds.

thehairybabysmum Wed 07-Jan-09 14:15:40

I only found out the other day (after making a comment that mumps only imp for boys) that apparently mumps can affect girls...it can make you infertile by affecting the ovaries, in the same way that it can affect the testes of boys.

Do what you think is best for your dd but please be aware that many of thte internet anti-vaccine pages are heavily biased towards scaremongering against vaccines.

Try and read some literature/web stuff that also gives you the opposite side of the coin before making your decision at least.

jute Wed 07-Jan-09 14:16:40

Your choice and you don't need to justify it.

DS1 is severely autistic (had had all the jabs until his regression).

DS2 & DS3 (now 7 & 4) have not been vaccinated. They may have some vaccinations one day, they may not. Richard Halvorsen is your man if you want to talk it through with an open minded GP.

When ds3 was in hospital with seizures the consultants were understanding about why he hadn't been vaccinated. Didn't get any hassle. Most docs will talk about it sensibly if you show that you know your stuff.

LaDiDaDi Wed 07-Jan-09 14:18:48

I've read quite a bit on the subject, from more objective sources than the op if that first link is anything to go by.

I'm really going to try not to get drawn in here as I'm not convinced that the OP wants to hear opposing PoV tbh.

Beachcomber Wed 07-Jan-09 14:18:53

BTW those who would be furious if their child caught whooping cough from an unvaccinated child are talking nonsense.

The vqccine does not protect against carrying of and transmission of this disease, it protects against illness for the individual.

In other words your child has an equal exposure risk from both the vaccinated and the unvaccinated.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a bit of pitchfork waving though eh folks?

jute Wed 07-Jan-09 14:19:30

Oh where are you going in the US? Uni Califrornia Davis is doing lots of work on the immune system and autism. (Some individuals with autism have very interesting - and weird- immune systems).

MadameCastafiore Wed 07-Jan-09 14:24:54

I think you are crazy to take a child of that age on a plane without it being vaccinated - god only the other day someone on hereb was thinking of flying with a child with contagious chicken pox and planes have all sorts of nasties whizzing around the air conditioning system!

thehairybabysmum Wed 07-Jan-09 14:27:01

Also, personally i made sure my ds's WERE vaccinated (esp menigicoccal ones) BEFORE going on a long distance flight. Aeroplanes are like incubators for germs!

Beachcomber Wed 07-Jan-09 14:27:23

Oh and the science shows that vaccines such as those for Men C and Pneumococcus bacteria lead to a change in bacterial ecosystem that in turn leads to serotype replacement.

You don't get less Men disease you just get type B instead of type C.

There is actually more to this than meets the eye which is why sensible, prudent, informed, responsible and loving parents make the decision to limit vaccinations of avoid them altogether.

bogie Wed 07-Jan-09 14:28:11

Those of you who think it is a crazy idea have you read about/done any research reguarding vaccinations at all or did you just have them done no questions asked??

bogie Wed 07-Jan-09 14:32:32

We are going to Tampa we have family there, DS was vaccinated as a baby and the week he had his 1st jabs he got meningitis I have no idea if this could have been anything to do with the vaccines, I had never thought about it like that I have been to busy thanking god that he pulled through but since reading the vaccine reactions that can happen many affecting the brain surly it is possiable that menigitis could have been a reaction?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »