Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

concerned about my partner- had this morning?

(106 Posts)
Jabba89 Thu 12-Oct-17 21:41:47

Hi, haven't been on here for a couple of years and have had to make a new account as forgot password so please go easy lol 😐

Anyway, my partner went into hospital this morning for a relatively minor op (knee surgery, day case) his first time having a general anaesthetic. Hes 31. Was only out for about 2 hours and soent 3 hours in the recovery before they discharged him. He seemsped okay when I collected him, a little groggy maybe but he was chatting away and seemed ok. He even ate tea with us at about 4ish and had a phone call to his brother which he was talking away fine and no oroblems there.
Now its 9.30 and for the last 2 or 3 hours he is starting to concern me. Has become extremely drowsy, to the point where he cant hold his head up. I suggested he went up to bed and went up to check on him 20 minutes later and I literally had to grab him and shake him violently just to get a response. He is not responding to touch alone, I am having to slap him or poke him numerous times.
Is this normal? Other than paracetamol and naproxen he has no other painkillers so this isnt down to any other drugs. Could he be having a delayed reaction? Thinking if this continues to maybe call 111 but then again I have never had surgery and so am not sure if this is normal or not?

Twodogsandahooch Thu 12-Oct-17 21:43:01

Call an ambulance

Strugglingtothinkupnewusername Thu 12-Oct-17 21:44:12

Sounds very unusual. I'd say definitely 111 if not 999.

DancingLedge Thu 12-Oct-17 21:50:33

Yes, ambulance

Patchouli666 Thu 12-Oct-17 21:52:34

Is he overweight, I know that sounds awful to be asking but anaesthetic is stored in fat tissue and can take longer to dissipate in an overweight person. So he might well be getting a second wave of anaesthetic now. Sometimes though, anaesthetics just hit hard. If he isn't overweight, but can you take his pulse, either at inner wrist using your fingers not thumb or his neck just to either side of windpipe below jawbone? Is it strong or really weak?
On his release notes, is there a number to call? Or call the hosp reception and say your dh was in today etc.... Better than an 111. Ask to speak to the On Call Dr on the ward from today and you may find they will send an ambulance to get him back in

DancingLedge Thu 12-Oct-17 22:01:08

Just dial 999.Now

NotPennysBoat Thu 12-Oct-17 22:11:27

Definitely not normal.

Jabba89 Thu 12-Oct-17 22:12:10

Thank you everyone, Phoned 111 they are getting a doctor to call me back within the next hour. No he is not overweight but he is quite muscular so I suppose its the same thing? He is really out of it, its scaring me. We are here alone with our 6 year old and baby, his pulse seems quite weak and slow. Hopefully the doc will call me back pretty quick but looks like its going to be a trip back to the hospital with him 😢

georgedawes Thu 12-Oct-17 22:13:45

Call an ambulance, seriously

noodleaddict Thu 12-Oct-17 22:15:38

I wouldn't wait for the doctor, I'd call an ambulance.

Santawontbelong Thu 12-Oct-17 22:15:50

I had a reaction to an epidural and nearly died a few hours later. Please ring for an ambulance. .

georgedawes Thu 12-Oct-17 22:16:46

You need to call 999. If he's that unresponsive, he needs to go to hospital!

tribpot Thu 12-Oct-17 22:17:44

I would do as Patchouli suggests and call the ward straight away. Failing that I would call 999 but I can imagine you would feel a bit odd doing that when 111 have told you to hang on for a doctor to call back.

Can you call someone to come and watch the children?

Bovneydazzlers Thu 12-Oct-17 22:18:08

Call an ambulance NOW!! This is not normal and too serious to wait for a callback.

Margomyhero Thu 12-Oct-17 22:18:55

Phones the hospital ward he was on. They generally give you their number just on case of feeling unwell after discharge.

Hope he is ok

Mishappening Thu 12-Oct-17 22:18:56


Migraleve Thu 12-Oct-17 22:22:47

Yes this is a 999 job. Just phone.

SmokingGun Thu 12-Oct-17 22:23:01

I have have loads of operations under GA, some that took hours and hours and I have never been unresponsive a few hours later. Very sleepy, yes but can still be roused.

I would call 999 OP

welshweasel Thu 12-Oct-17 22:23:12

I'm a surgeon. If a patient's relative rang the ward and told me what you've just said I'd tell them to ring 999.

georgedawes Thu 12-Oct-17 22:23:23

Yes on the discharge note there is normally a number to call if unwell, but I honestly think if he's that bad 999 is the best thing to call.

Cheekypenguin Thu 12-Oct-17 22:24:01

Call 999 don't wait

MrsEricBana Thu 12-Oct-17 22:24:06

Yes ring 999 please.

LittleLights Thu 12-Oct-17 22:24:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tattybogle89 Thu 12-Oct-17 22:25:22

Wow scary I'd call an ambulance

Westiegirl3 Thu 12-Oct-17 22:27:06

My DH has had several op’s like you describe and has never been unresponsive into the evening. I think i’d be very worried from what you’ve said and take the advise you’ve been given and call 999

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: