Talk

Advanced search

Have I sold 16 people a pig in a poke?

(457 Posts)
PiggyPokkyFool Wed 22-May-19 10:31:29

Name changed as this is very outing.
The facts: Saw YouTube video about growing tomatoes from a slice of tomato, had some v tasty cherry ones from supermarket so planted 3 slices with low expectations. 3 weeks later, 54 seedlings, transferred to larger pots expecting to lose half, 52 survived - nearly all grew looking super healthy - had 49 tomato plants. Couldn't possibly use all so planted some, gave away some and had 28 tomato plants left. Got the bright idea of selling them on our local group for 50p each - sold all bar 3 which I offered some to my much older, much wiser chum and he said " Oh, no thanks as they are probably F1s so won't produce anything". Have I sold 16 people a pig in a poke? Never mind friends who think I am a great grower blush

EssentialHummus Wed 22-May-19 10:34:55

I’ve no idea but blatantly placemarking as I’m intrigued.

Sooverthemill Wed 22-May-19 10:37:31

winkypedia.net/2010/10/31/can-i-can-grow-tomatoes-from-the-seeds-of-supermarket-tomatoes/

TheSpottedZebra Wed 22-May-19 10:40:21

They'll probably fruit, but the fruit won't be the same as that of the parent plant.

Amazed the you sold them for 50p each. I'm sitting on a gold mine of un-needed Tomatoes!

tisonlymeagain Wed 22-May-19 10:40:38

I don't see why an F1 wouldn't produce anything?

PiggyPokkyFool Wed 22-May-19 10:41:02

Oh God, I have just totted up the friends as well. There are 27 people expecting these plants to give them yummy tomatoes. If they all fail I'll have to move, my growing reputation will be in tatters, my children shunned...

BikeRunSki Wed 22-May-19 10:42:08

What are F1s?

PiggyPokkyFool Wed 22-May-19 10:49:24

Thank you all. Neither do I @tisonlymeagain - I remember some of my Gregor Mendel. I don't care if they are not the same, though it would be lovely if they were, as long as people get something for their money and I don't have to hang my head in public.

tisonlymeagain Wed 22-May-19 10:52:14

As far as I am aware they should still provide some fruit @PiggyPokkyFool, like you say, they just might not be the same. Loads of people have successfully grown tomato plants in this way!

PiggyPokkyFool Wed 22-May-19 10:53:48

@BikeRunSki they are cross breed as I understand it. I think after I heard won't produce anything the ringing in my ears drowned out the rest of what he said - I am known for always having something tasty to eat in summer from my very small London garden so would be mortified to have let people down.

PiggyPokkyFool Wed 22-May-19 10:57:41

@TheSpottedZebra you should see the price people sell things at our local farmers market - tiny miserable looking basil plants for £4.50, spindly tomato plants £3.

3dogs2cats Wed 22-May-19 10:59:50

Love this. I did worse, grew tomatoes from posh heritage seed, but had no seed compost, so used earth from the greenhouse borders. All germinated and I weeded the pots, potted on and carefully nurtured my ...African marigolds. I would have bought you4 50 p tomatoes and been grateful.

PiggyPokkyFool Wed 22-May-19 11:05:08

@3dogs2cats grin That has made me laugh. I must admit I was surprised how well they sold and, sadly if it was a massive failure, mostly to people I know or know each other so word would get round about my incompetence. I like my reputation as a green finger goddess smile

Tighnabruaich Wed 22-May-19 11:15:39

My elderly next-door-neighbour showed me how she grew tomatoes each year just taking the seeds out of her tomatoes and growing them in pots. So when she was making a tomato sandwich, for example, she just tweaked out the seeds with her knife. She also just planted sprouting potatoes and got a good harvest out of them. She used plastic dustbins for the potatoes (never knew potatoes had pretty flowers). She must have had incredible green fingers.

cwg1 Wed 22-May-19 11:27:54

F1s are to do with plant breeding and hybridisation - which is all I can remember about them blush grin

I can remember - it's years ago - the lovely Bob Flowerdew presenting a TV feature about growing fruit and veg from supermarket produce. Also, some lovely older allotment holders saving their own seed, including tomatoes.

Also v. Intrigued at planting tomato slices smile

PiggyPokkyFool Wed 22-May-19 11:38:54

Apparently the slice sort of feeds the seeds - It was super successful to THIS stage anyway so from now it is just a waiting game to see how we/they progress. Will my beautiful yellow/orangey cherries turn into whopping beefs? Will they be red? Will they be dead? Will nothing happen and I'll wish I was dead? Feeling fairly light hearted now and hopeful, cautiously hopeful. Please continue in your lovely support - it us balm to my soul.

CornishMaid1 Wed 22-May-19 12:16:05

I wouldn't worry too much. My dad has taken to using slices of tomatoes. He did it last year and got lots of tomatoes, so hopefully they will be okay.

PiggyPokkyFool Wed 22-May-19 14:25:04

Thank you *@CornishMaid1*.
These posts are very reassuring and proves my very experienced grower friend doesn't know everything(Ihope).

LazyLemur Wed 22-May-19 18:08:13

I wouldn't worry. I would have paid 50p just for the surprise. They may or may not turn out like the parent, but they'll still be more delicious than shop bought chilled ones and fun to grow!

prettybird Wed 22-May-19 19:01:08

F1 just means that because it's a hybrid, you can't be sure what tomatoes you will get - but they should get tomatoes smile

I have some heritage tomatoes growing (Golden grape): must try this approach to grow next year's plants. smile

Will check whether Tumbling Toms are hybrids; if not, I'll do the same wink

I have a gardening buddy who is very snotty about saving seed as his mother was a botanist who never re-used hybrid seeds and mostly just bought fresh every year.

PiggyPokkyFool Wed 22-May-19 19:13:57

Yay @LazyLemur and @prettybird
Elderly gentleman friend is very into his heritage varieties and 'pureness of seed line' BUT is also incredibly generous with sharing seeds, plants and cuttings and a great chap.
Lord - I might start a trend in tomato slice growing surprises grin

AutumnCrow Wed 22-May-19 19:23:24

older allotment holders saving their own seed

They are right goers, some of them

Hefzi Wed 22-May-19 19:28:06

Won't they just result in F2 tomatoes? So not necessarily true to the original plant, but still tomatoes? Or does there have to be a further round of cross-pollination for them to produce F2 fruit?

BogglesGoggles Wed 22-May-19 19:29:06

I’ve nevef had issues growing plants from supermarket tomato seed

Chewbecca Wed 22-May-19 19:39:29

My MiL did this this year because our shop bought toms were nicer than our home grown ones. She has very green fingers and bags of experience so I think you should be ok.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »