Talk

Advanced search

Burger Kings spicy beanburgers (from 1990s) closest recipe

(9 Posts)
Prosperine Fri 19-Jun-20 16:09:43

Was chatting about this recently and although I am not a vegetarian, I recall it was pretty darn good in it's day.

Have no inclination to even find out if they still do it (since I won't be going into one) but I wondered if anyone here had ever managed to make something close to it (or still does !).

I'm specifically looking for that formulation (hence not trawling Google for random recipes).

It was definitely marketed as "Spicy Beanburger". Not "veggieburger". I have no idea if it was vegan or not.

Thanks chefs !

OP’s posts: |
KingofDinobots Fri 19-Jun-20 16:25:39

They were great. I think they still do something similar although haven’t eaten there in years.

This is a good recipe - www.wcrf-uk.org/uk/recipes/spicy-bean-burgers

longtompot Fri 19-Jun-20 16:34:16

I used to love their spicy bean burger. Not a vegetarian either, but I would always buy that over a beef or chicken one. I loved how it was long and you could split it into two smaller burgers.
I shall have a look at the link @KingofDinobots posted and see if that's similar smile

Bigpaintinglittlepainting Fri 19-Jun-20 16:35:39

God I loved them, it’s all about the texture smile

Windyatthebeach Fri 19-Jun-20 16:36:52

Aldi do a very acceptable imitation BK bean burger...

KingofDinobots Fri 19-Jun-20 16:43:29

Yes the shape is part of the attraction, when I make them I use hot dog buns (sliced horizontally) and shape the bean burger like Burger King do, it’s much better for some reason.

elp30 Fri 19-Jun-20 16:48:15

What a coincidence!

My husband and I were telling our vegetarian daughter, only yesterday, that Burger King in the UK in 1990's had the most delicious spicy bean burgers. We were wondering if they still sold them in their stores.

I'll try out that recipe though. Thanks for that!

AnnieOH1 Fri 19-Jun-20 16:54:50

Jack Monroe's Carrot, Cumin and Kidney bean burger is an excellent replica of the BK spicy bean burger. The cumin seems to be the key to it.

KingofDinobots Fri 19-Jun-20 16:56:54

That jack monroe recipe looks good thanks cookingonabootstrap.com/2019/11/01/carrot-kidney-bean-burger-recipe/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »