Talk

Advanced search

Westminstenders: From Russia with Love

(997 Posts)
RedToothBrush Tue 13-Mar-18 21:11:39

Things just got scary.

The colony of US puppet state or a vassel state of the EU?

Why not just let market forces take their course and let Russia buy the UK?

How did we get to stories of spies and mafia who buy politicians?

Just who are our enemies and allies?

Won't someone think of the effect on house prices in Salisbury?

Try not to don your foil hat, brace yourself and resist shouting 'money laundering too loud'.

More turbulence ahead.

Brexit still seems like such a cracking idea doesn't it?

Dobby1sAFreeElf Tue 13-Mar-18 21:25:36

Thanks red

titters at won't somebody think of the house prices in salisbury

Sostenueto Tue 13-Mar-18 21:27:34

Here thanks redflowers

thecatfromjapan Tue 13-Mar-18 21:28:35

Thanks Red.

I've been wimbling about money laundering for a good long while. It's kind of a relief to see it go mainstream. I'm waiting to see it trending on Twitter. grin

PainInTheEar Tue 13-Mar-18 21:28:56

Thanks red! star

woman11017 Tue 13-Mar-18 21:29:36

How did we get to stories of spies and mafia who buy politicians
Not enough women directors and games creators?
Thanks red

ChickenTikkaBhuna Tue 13-Mar-18 21:29:59

Thanks red wine

Street2 Tue 13-Mar-18 21:33:53

football

WifeofDarth Tue 13-Mar-18 21:34:59

Thanks Red and regulars, you are halo s

PainInTheEar Tue 13-Mar-18 21:36:52

woman just saw an article in the economist about how women need to get involved in AI now as along with facing job losses from automation, alogorithms were already showing bias towards white males (surprise surprise hmm) and we need diversity to stop inequality being perpetuated through new technology which is in the pipelines.

Peregrina Tue 13-Mar-18 21:37:36

Place mat king - nothing much to say at the moment.

PainInTheEar Tue 13-Mar-18 21:38:38

My mistake, not the economist but the guardian:

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/13/women-robots-ai-male-artificial-intelligence-automation

Sostenueto Tue 13-Mar-18 21:49:59

The Russian Foreign Ministry’s spokeswoman has warned Britain against putting ultimatums to Russia, reminding the U.K. about its nuclear arsenal.

Maria Zakharova said in televised remarks Tuesday that “no one can come to parliament and say: ‘I give Russia 24 hours,’” a reference to British Prime Minister Theresa May giving Russia a deadline to explain how a Russia-designed nerve agent could have been used to poison former spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter.
Oh well we don't need to worry about brexit then!

RedToothBrush Tue 13-Mar-18 21:50:11

www.channel4.com/news/julianne-smith-trump-didnt-trust-rex-tillerson
Julianne Smith: ‘Trump didn’t trust Rex Tillerson’

Let me point out that Tillerson's last act as Secretary of State was to issue a strongly-worded statement expressing "full confidence" in the UK's assessment that Russia was likely to be responsible. Which forced Trump into a corner to say that the US backs the UK all the way over the poisoning accusation.

In January, Tillerson did this:
www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/rex-tillerson-us-uk-special-relationship-donald-trump-embassy-theresa-may-london-visit-a8172621.html
Rex Tillerson reiterates US support for 'special relationship' following spat between Theresa May and Donald Trump
The US Secretary of State said his country 'treasures' links to the UK

So Tillerson said that Trump was a moron for not being concerned about Putin. May and Trump have a falling out for some reason. Tillerson is the one who patches it up. We have a spy poisoned on UK soil, and Tillerson condemns in the strongest possible terms and supports the UK. This forces Trump to also do the same in a half arsed way. Then he sacks Tillerson and his deputy almost immediately, and an insider is saying that Trump 'didn't trust Tillerson'.

The man just did what you'd expect from the US for one of its closest allies after an act, which in times gone by would have triggered a war and he got fired for it. Cos Trust doesn't agree with him / trust him / think his judgement is good?

Which one is it?

Cos none of these options are looking terribly good for the UK.

Talkstotrees Tue 13-Mar-18 21:57:19

Just going back to something said on the previous thread (sorry, I have a hard time keeping up! This has probably been said already). Given the further cuts to welfare, TM et al must treasure the rise in food banks, removes some sense of responsibility maybe as food banks will ensure no one actually starves (will they??). Is it just a tax on the altruistic?

DGRossetti Tue 13-Mar-18 22:04:29

Sostenueto Tue 13-Mar-18 22:14:12

We have the German support then. Have we got French yet?

RedToothBrush Tue 13-Mar-18 22:15:08

Well I thought it best to be prepared and look up a nerve poison attack. As you do. I knew there was a reason I had this book, as a back up for the day when the internet fails.

Its got everything from cluster bombs, depleted uranium shells, car jacking, booby traps, amputation, riots, accusations of spying....

...but not how to deal with nerve agents.

Bugger. Back to google. I need a new survive the apocalypse book. My planning has failed already.

Those Brexit turnips aren't going to work for this one either.

Screwed.

Sostenueto Tue 13-Mar-18 22:15:09

My family nearing having to use food banks in the very near future.

PainInTheEar Tue 13-Mar-18 22:18:24

Unicorn tears are meant to ward off any nasties so we'll be fine!

sos flowers

Sostenueto Tue 13-Mar-18 22:19:18

Hello? A suggestion on radio 4 of a coordinated NATO cyber attack on Russia under article 5.
But the Russians have or are building sub's that can cut cables.

Sostenueto Tue 13-Mar-18 22:20:12

Thanks pain.

PainInTheEar Tue 13-Mar-18 22:21:18

Jake Morris
@jakemorristw
On #newsnight tonight, Bild editor @jreichelt says his paper would back a World Cup boycott if @theresa_may asked Germany to join Britain in withdrawing. (there's more from him in this morning's Mail)

And

Andrew Adonis
@Andrew_Adonis
4/ We shouldn’t boycott World Cup - fans and players shouldn’t suffer for Putin & lesson of 1980 Olympics boycott not good. But we shd publicly call for FIFA to relocate the Cup. They will refuse but another outrage elsewhere & this might fly

SusanWalker Tue 13-Mar-18 22:21:19

I am too overwhelmed by the absurdity of it all. To think this time two years ago the main things I worried about was the welfare cuts, the difficulties in getting both DLA and proper help for DS and a deep dislike of the tories. Now I still worry about some of those things but, christ, will shit ever stop happening?

PainInTheEar Tue 13-Mar-18 22:23:26

For more boycott giggles smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: