Talk

Advanced search

Boots conception support multivits - not for smokers???

(4 Posts)
bluebird68 Fri 21-Sep-12 17:23:34

looking at the multivits today i saw that the above mentioned clearly state on the back of the packet under warning - 'Not to be taken by smokers'
confused
now i'm a non-smoker and i also know that ideally you stop smoking before TTC but why this statement? Is this some weird nanny state thing? if you're a smoker F**k off and don't take our conception vitamins?? or this there really some legit reason you shouldn't mix tobacco with vitamins?

Sillyshell Fri 21-Sep-12 17:25:49

I think I've read somewhere that you shouldnt take vitamin c if your a smoker, but I cant remember why now. Maybe that has something to with it?

akuabadoll Sat 22-Sep-12 05:02:27

I believe this is the most likely connection: in conception vitamins, vitamin A is avoided, limited or confined to beta-carotene (which the body converts to vitamin A and is fine in pregnancy, unlike preformed vitamin A, also called retinol which shouldn't be taken in large amounts). I believe Boots conception contains beta-carotene. Beta-carotene supplementation has been shown to increase lung cancer in smokers (2009 study, I think).

bluebird68 Sat 22-Sep-12 08:23:56

aha, thanks both . you learn something new every day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now