Talk

Advanced search

Natasha with the nickname Sasha?

(21 Posts)
neolara Sat 05-Sep-09 20:40:43

I posted months ago because I couldn't decide whether I liked Natasha or Sasha more. The baby is now here and I still can't decide - I like them both. We're now considering covering all bases and calling her Natasha, but using Sasha as a nickname.

But part of me thinks this is just a silly compromise. We already have one dc who is formally called something with a nickname that is completely different.

Oh, and just to throw in a complication, we recently thought of Imogen which we both like and my other thread has thrown up some possible shortenings that I quite like too.

Aaaagh! Surely it's not meant to be this difficult to decide.

Any thoughts?

singersgirl Sat 05-Sep-09 20:44:43

Wouldn't Tasha be a short form of Natasha?

Sasha and Natasha are, technically and Slavonically, both nicknames. Sasha is usually a short form of Alexander/Alexandra and Natasha of Natalia/Natalya. So it seems bit odd to me. But I'm a name purist grin!

mathanxiety Sat 05-Sep-09 20:56:42

I have Russian friends who were Rofling at Sasha Obama's name...

nooki Sat 05-Sep-09 21:42:52

Sasha is definately a boys' name - short for Alexander.

JeMeSouviens Sat 05-Sep-09 21:46:39

I get shortened to Tash or Nat. I doubt even if you used Sasha as a nn, that other people would follow suit.

lockets Sat 05-Sep-09 21:46:52

Message withdrawn

mopsyflopsy Sat 05-Sep-09 21:49:02

Agree that Sasha is largely regarded as a boys name (but then, I'm originally from Germany, where it is ONLY a boys' name).

Natascha, on the other hand, is a lovely name!

ZZZenAgain Sat 05-Sep-09 21:49:45

For Russians Sasha could be a boy's or a girl's name, however in both cases it's a nickname. Needn't bother you if it isn't your culture.

Natasha sounds nice to me but has some connotations these days I wouldn't want -i.e. it can be slang for a prostitute in some countries in Europe.

JeMeSouviens Sat 05-Sep-09 21:53:48

oh great! grin my dearest brother always used to point out that it is Ah Satan backwards as well. But I'm dead normal, honestly [polishes pitchfork]

ZZZenAgain Sat 05-Sep-09 21:55:37

oh I believe you, backtracks hurredly ...

I still think it's a nice name personally

NotanOtter Sat 05-Sep-09 22:03:38

how odd

my dd is Sacha short for Alexandra
my bf is Natasha never Sasha

'rofling at sasha obama' how bizarre and culture-centric your friends are hmm

Oh God, which European countries is Natasha a word for prostitute?

lockets Sat 05-Sep-09 22:11:14

Message withdrawn

mathanxiety Sat 05-Sep-09 22:54:04

StripeyKnickers, it's a very common slang term;, there's even a book about east european sex slavery with that title, I believe. I have a lot of empathy with my Russian friends (they're straight from Russia, not second generation) because I've done a lot of tooth-grinding in the US at the treatment of Irish boys' names there. (Rory, Sean, etc. for girls). smile

emkana Sat 05-Sep-09 22:57:34

Don't be put off, Natasha is a lovely name.

Short forms would be Tasha, Tash or Nat though IMO.

neolara Sun 06-Sep-09 18:55:48

Thanks all for your imput. We've decided not to prevaricate with the Natasha / Sasha combo and have gone simply for Sasha.

I'd also understood that Sacha was a boys name in Russia, but I was reading an article about Gorbachev today in which he says his great grand-daughter is called Sasha.

lumnag Sun 06-Sep-09 19:18:25

Sasha is a great name in its own right.smile

Those Russian friends of math ROFL need some more explaininghmm

sonniebonnie Sun 06-Sep-09 19:23:31

I too associate Sasha with boys.... but that's because I had one in my class in the 70s.

NotanOtter Sun 06-Sep-09 20:40:07

Sacha/Sasha/Sascha are all derivatives of Alexander / Alexandra

Oddly we chose the boys spelling for DD as i thought it prettier and a bit more French

Since the rise of S Baron-Cohen the name is now more widely associated with boys

My Sacha has another in her class so it is not rare amongst girls

hulabula Sun 06-Sep-09 20:47:52

I'd name her Alexandra or Natascha on the birth certificate. Both are lovely, classic feminine names.
She's then got lots of nickname options, including Sacha, Sasha, Tash etc.

I too know both male and female Sashas.

MummyCruz Mon 21-Sep-09 09:15:56

I get shortened to Nat or Tasha. I refuse to answer to Tash though (reminds me of a moustache!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now