Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is Róise a 'real' name?

(47 Posts)
ExPresidents Tue 07-Nov-17 14:06:01

I'm of Irish origin (but currently living here)

Thinking of names for expected DC and have come across Róise. I've never met one, although plenty of Róisíns. I really like it but don't want to give DD (if it is a DD) a 'made up' name.

Irish MNetters have you met any Róises? What are your thoughts?

LivLemler Tue 07-Nov-17 14:22:32

I've never met one, but seen it mentioned plenty of times. Usually without the fada, but not sure which is right. Guess it depends on whether you want the o to rhyme with gosh or coat. It certainly has the look of authenticity, unlike many "Irish" names.

Err, this post may not be the most helpful!

Ilovelampandchair Tue 07-Nov-17 14:26:31

Never heard it before. Is it on an official Irish name list somewhere?

ExPresidents Tue 07-Nov-17 14:27:47

Thanks Liv, where have you seen it mentioned? I can only find it on a couple of name sites which don't feel legitimate! The o should rhyme with coat (as in Róisín)

hotbutteredcrumpetsandtea Tue 07-Nov-17 14:29:40

Yes it's totally a real name. It's my cousins name and is very old. It's not what you'd call common but it's not unheard either.

LivLemler Tue 07-Nov-17 14:30:03

Hmm. Maybe I've mainly seen it mentioned on name threads here. Have you tried an advanced search? If you see the other names it's listed alongside that might give you an idea while you wait for a native speaker to come along.

hotbutteredcrumpetsandtea Tue 07-Nov-17 14:34:59

If you want to see if a name is actually used, search on a site like LinkedIn or FB not name sites.
If you search for Roíse on LinkedIn you can see there are quite a few of them. And that it is also a surname.

Blackandgreencore Tue 07-Nov-17 14:37:39

Pure curiosity-how is it pronounced? It looks lovely smile

hotbutteredcrumpetsandtea Tue 07-Nov-17 14:41:14

Ro-sha. Although in some dialects it would a bit more like Rau-sha.

hotbutteredcrumpetsandtea Tue 07-Nov-17 14:41:42

Actually not -sha, more like -shuh. It's hard to write the sounds!

ElspethFlashman Tue 07-Nov-17 14:42:03

I've seen it plenty but never come across it in real life. Róisín still rules. I've come across several of them in the under-5 age group.

Tbh I imagine in the UK Róise will just be pronounced Royce for the rest of her life, so I'd be wary.

BabyDreams2018 Tue 07-Nov-17 14:51:18

Róise is the Irish for Rose. It is a real name. Pronounced Ro-sha. It's a variation of Róisín.

hotbutteredcrumpetsandtea Tue 07-Nov-17 14:53:40

Róisin literally means little Róise (little Rose)

mamaiFifi Tue 07-Nov-17 14:56:45

Róisín means little rose ‘ín’ is usually for little
Roise is irish for Rose
Pronounced raw-cha
Very common hefe in Ireland

ExPresidents Tue 07-Nov-17 15:00:06

Elspeth that's one of my concerns, plus I think everyone will just think I've misspelt Rosie.

Argh.

SallyGardens Tue 07-Nov-17 15:17:20

I've met a few girls called Róise (I work with preteens and teenagers). It's not nearly as common as Róisín - there seems to be at least one Róisín in every class for the past 10 years.

Anotherdayanotherdollar Tue 07-Nov-17 15:22:18

Love the name but has been vetoed twice now by DH. I don't know why people would mispronounce it for a lifetime though. Surely after being told how to pronounce it (maybe not the first time), they would learn?? It amazes me that on MN posters always say that about Irish names, yet can cope with names from other languages and cultures just fine...

TieGrr Tue 07-Nov-17 15:39:27

I think it is (or was) the name of one of the characters on Ros na Rún. It's a lovely name.

ExPresidents Tue 07-Nov-17 15:40:40

Thanks Sally, it's good to hear someone has met one in the flesh!! I too know lots of Róisíns, I don't like it as much as I do Róise.

Anotherday I took that to mean she would get lots of people mispronouncing it throughout her life, rather than a few people never saying it correctly. I agree with you people should learn how to say someone's name. It's a problem I've had with my own (Irish) name throughout my life.

ElspethFlashman Tue 07-Nov-17 15:53:08

Yeah I mean you're always going to be meeting new people, even as an OAP in the nursing home! It would be decades of teaching people. Bit tedious.

Mumatoo Tue 07-Nov-17 16:00:08

I know a gorgeous 2 year old Róise in Ireland. It's a beautiful name. I would say it as Row-shuh.
We're in London and trying to pick a girl's name. I would like to avoid anything that needs a fada for pronounciation but Nóinín/Nóiní is my favourite it's a nickname for Nora and means daisy. I'm try to convince DH.

dubmumof2 Tue 07-Nov-17 16:10:37

I know two girls and one adult Róise. Pronounced Row-Shuh. Agree with SallyGardens about the number of Róisín's too. Prefer Róise to Róisín, especially for an adult, which of course all our DDs become eventually grin

hotbutteredcrumpetsandtea Tue 07-Nov-17 16:13:54

hanks Sally, it's good to hear someone has met one in the flesh!!

I have actually met my cousin. Know her quite well, in fact!

ExPresidents Tue 07-Nov-17 16:16:15

Blimey, sorry hotbutteredcrumpet!

ExPresidents Tue 07-Nov-17 16:19:56

Mumatoo and dubmum I would pronounce Ro-shuh as well. Nóiní/n is so sweet smile

It's between this and Eimear for me I think. Still need to persuade DH though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now