Talk

Advanced search

To want my family to pronounce ds2's name correctly?

(236 Posts)
FrannyandZooey Tue 02-Sep-08 12:30:57

I am honestly not sure if I am. I feel like this is a big deal and want them to get it right, but they are all so convinced that their way is the right way, and it doesn't seem to matter what I say, that I am wondering...

It is a slightly unusual name that can be pronounced two ways. Not hard to say, at all.

If IANBU, how do I deal with this?

oooh tough one.
i think i'll need to know what the name is first!!

my dad does this sometimes with ds1 and i just say 'it's not x, it's y'

moopdaloop Tue 02-Sep-08 12:33:26

i would tell them every time, but i would get ready for everybody else in his whole life to pronounce it wrong and start to accept both ways otherwise you'll go mad

StayFrosty Tue 02-Sep-08 12:33:35

YANBU, keep correcting them.

FrannyandZooey Tue 02-Sep-08 12:34:17

yes I can deal with the fact that it's going to be spelt and said wrong through his life, but not by my family, surely?

escape Tue 02-Sep-08 12:34:20

you won't win.
my daughter has a little bit difficult to pronounce unless you've heard it before type name.
All the kids know it, its the adults who get it wrong
got most annoyed at the doctors when the receptionist said it wrong 4 times in the course of a brief conversation. i correctede her twice and then thought... wahts the point...

Sorry Franny...grin
so YANBU but...

bubblerock Tue 02-Sep-08 12:34:25

Just start pronouncing their names differently and see how they like it grin

stillstanding Tue 02-Sep-08 12:34:53

YANBU. You named DS2 and they have to live with it. Agree with mms that you just need to gently say it is not x but y. Very rude of family. How old is DS2? Presumbaly once he gets to a certain age he too will correct them.

hecate Tue 02-Sep-08 12:35:30

Yes. I hate it too. Even more than that, I hate those members of my extended family who call ds1 Gareth, in spite of the fact that it's NOT his name. hmm

Sherida Tue 02-Sep-08 12:35:34

After nearly 30 years, my granddad STILL can't get my name right. Once he missed it off a card entirely, and every time he does put it on it's spelled a different way. I guess some people just can't handle odd names. It throws them. Now, if you're DS is called Tom they're just not bothering!

TheNaughtiestGirlIsaMonitor Tue 02-Sep-08 12:36:03

It depends. If the name is Joseph eg. I say Jozev, but other people say Josef, and I don't think I can rememebr which cf the josephs is pronounced which way

what's the name, give us a clue. Give us the surname of somebody famous wiht that name.

twofalls Tue 02-Sep-08 12:36:17

If they are doing it because they just think you are right YA definitely NBU and you just need to correct them. If they are doing it because they just can't get their heads round it and they forget, YAN really BU but perhaps need to cut them a bit of slack and make a bit of a joke of it.

(I keep doing this with a friend's baby by mistake - her name is Maya (My-A) and I pronounce it MAY-A blush

gareth? and his name is what? james? how odd!!!!

i

stillstanding Tue 02-Sep-08 12:37:11

escape, i think it is a bit tricky when a name is difficult to pronounce. i have an absolutely lousy ear and often struggle with foreign names. bit different though in franny's case where it is family who are being deliberately contrary.

Bumperlicious Tue 02-Sep-08 12:37:24

My dad spells my name wrong, you'd think that given that he gave me that name...obviously my mum and dad never agreed on how they were going to spell it!

StayFrosty Tue 02-Sep-08 12:38:11

We got a Christmas card from my cousin where dd's name (Esme) was spelt Ezmi shock It's a four letter name ffs!

Pinkjenny Tue 02-Sep-08 12:38:19

My in laws don't pronounce dd's name properly either. It's more dh's grandparents than his parents tbh, so I cut them a bit of slack. Even the vicar at her christening was pronouncing it wrong.

My boss said to me, 'It's your fault for giving her a name that is open to interpretation.' Er, it's not, her name is HER NAME!!!!!!!!!!

YANBU

at all.

i have a mispronouncable name. does my nut it when peoplw can't be bothered to learn how to say it right <cough cough MIL cough>

twofalls Tue 02-Sep-08 12:38:38

sorry, if they think they are right. Not you are right.

notsoteenagemum Tue 02-Sep-08 12:39:08

Is it an accent/ language thing, my friends DS is Dylan but they are welsh so its said Dulan she hates it when he gets called Dillan.
In-laws have strong accents and because of this I didn't call DS Charlie because they would call him Chaarlie not Chahrlie if you get what I mean, not out of badnes just coz its how you talk.
If this is not and you've spoken to them about it I'd just pronounce their names wrong til they get the message.

FrannyandZooey Tue 02-Sep-08 12:39:37

oh I suppose I've posted it before - it is Lucian, pronounced Loo-shun

if you spell it Lucien it is pronounced Loo-see-un, which is how my family are saying it

I think they think WE are saying it wrong and they are gently correcting us hmm

he's 6 wks old btw

LazyLinePainterJane Tue 02-Sep-08 12:40:35

But Franny, I think that the way that you have spelled it, there is only one way to pronounce it, the correct way of course grin

If it was an E then that would be different maybe...

moopdaloop Tue 02-Sep-08 12:40:54

I'd pronounce it wrong too. But I would learn, eventually

seeker Tue 02-Sep-08 12:41:18

What is the name? Can't be properly judgy (either way!) without knowing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now