To be upset by piano teacher comments

(414 Posts)
FlibberdyGibbett Thu 02-Dec-21 15:14:43

My 10 year old son ‘Josh’ has been having piano lessons for six weeks and I have received this text from his teacher.

“Josh seems to be struggling in his lessons. He complains his fingers are tired even after we have just started the lesson. This morning he told me he has been doing too much writing in class beforehand. He seems to talk a lot and doesn’t seem particularly interested. He tells me he practises on his iPad?? I’m not sure the piano is right for Josh, maybe consider a different instrument next term.”

AIBU to feel upset and my son is being unsupported?

OP’s posts: |
SleighbellsZ Thu 02-Dec-21 15:16:33

He doesn't sound interested though?

FlibberdyGibbett Thu 02-Dec-21 15:17:41

SleighbellsZ

He doesn't sound interested though?

But it’s only been 6 weeks

ShirleyPhallus Thu 02-Dec-21 15:18:03

Is this a reverse?

ofwarren Thu 02-Dec-21 15:18:09

He definitely doesn't sound interested though. I don't know what you expect her to do? 🤷

MysteriousMonkey Thu 02-Dec-21 15:18:44

I think she's trying to be kind and I say that as a mum who has spent thousands on piano lessons for my kids over the last few years. One of them I wish their piano teacher had said this, it's so expensive and if they don't want to practise it's such a waste of money!

Honeyroar Thu 02-Dec-21 15:18:59

Have you seen him practicing and looking interested? At least the teacher recognises he doesn’t seem to like it rather than banging on taking your money.

Advertisement

DeepaBeesKit Thu 02-Dec-21 15:19:48

I would expect a 10 year old to try a bit harder tbh.

What do you expect her to do? It doesnt sound like his behaviour is great in lessons if he is complaining/making excuses all the time.

SleighbellsZ Thu 02-Dec-21 15:21:07

But it’s only been 6 weeks

6 weeks is long enough to know you don't enjoy something.

eddiemairswife Thu 02-Dec-21 15:22:02

Who wanted him to learn? You or your son?

PleasantBirthday Thu 02-Dec-21 15:23:31

Has he ever expressed any interest to you or are you hoping that he'll become interested given time?

FlibberdyGibbett Thu 02-Dec-21 15:23:39

He wanted to learn and we are in the process of buying a second hand keyboard so he can practise, I just think the comments are a little harsh and abrupt - I think a phone call would have been kinder

PleasantBirthday Thu 02-Dec-21 15:24:16

FlibberdyGibbett

He wanted to learn and we are in the process of buying a second hand keyboard so he can practise, I just think the comments are a little harsh and abrupt - I think a phone call would have been kinder

I think I'd hold off on that until you have a very serious discussion with him.

viques Thu 02-Dec-21 15:24:26

Do you have a piano at home OP, or a keyboard? Does he practise? Doyou supervise the practise? If not what is the point of him doing the lessons in the first place. Find him another instrument he prefers, or give up on your “ my son josh the musician “ dream.

Username7521 Thu 02-Dec-21 15:24:56

As someone who plays piano take the teachers advice and sit down and chat to him to see if he is really interested. It’s a hard old slog, and I still remember one of my first piano teachers advice saying you need to particle 15 min 5 times a week just to keep the basics.
He’s 10. It’s been 6 weeks. Not sure what more you’re expecting from the teacher.

ShinyHappyPoster Thu 02-Dec-21 15:25:04

The teacher seems to be supporting him. Are you supporting him? Because surely you know if he moans about his fingers being sore, tries to distract during lessons and doesn't really practice.

NatriumChloride Thu 02-Dec-21 15:25:10

He practices on his iPad?

He’s ten. The teacher has given it a go for 6 weeks but realistically, how interested can Josh be if he complains that his fingers are hurting straight into the lesson?

FlibberdyGibbett Thu 02-Dec-21 15:25:15

Also she’s just billed me to pay for December lessons, but he missed 2 earlier in the month due to having Covid and she’s basically said she doesn’t carry missed lessons over?!

Duchess379 Thu 02-Dec-21 15:25:27

Are you like this at parents meetings as well? Your son clearly isn't interested. 🤷🏼‍♀️

viques Thu 02-Dec-21 15:26:56

Oh sorry, I see you are “in the process” of buying a second hand keyboard six weeks after he started the lessons!

PleasantBirthday Thu 02-Dec-21 15:27:10

FlibberdyGibbett

Also she’s just billed me to pay for December lessons, but he missed 2 earlier in the month due to having Covid and she’s basically said she doesn’t carry missed lessons over?!

Of course he doesn't! Why would you think that he would? You booked her time, she made it available, you didn't use it but she couldn't get another child in. Why should she be out of pocket?

SleighbellsZ Thu 02-Dec-21 15:28:37

FlibberdyGibbett

Sounds normal.

DeepaBeesKit Thu 02-Dec-21 15:29:00

This is standard? She would constantly lose income otherwise.

10 is quite old to begin learning a musical instrument. If he really wants to progress he will need to be willing to work at it, being attentive in lessons and motivated to practice regularly.

CSJobseeker Thu 02-Dec-21 15:29:14

FlibberdyGibbett

Why does she need to be 'kind' to you?

She's given you her opinion (and the reasons for it), and she wasn't rude about it.

OneRingToRuleThemAll Thu 02-Dec-21 15:29:19

Lessons are a waste of time if he doesn't (or can't) practice. I am taking music lessons as an adult and my teacher is quite open that without time, commitment and passion it's a waste of everyone's time.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in