Talk

Advanced search

To NOT disinfect shopping and mail?

(114 Posts)
safariboot Tue 31-Mar-20 23:24:24

When I get into the house with the shopping I just wash my hands then put it all away as normal. And when the mail arrives I just open it and read it. But seems like everyone here is spraying, wiping, setting stuff to one side, the works. AIBU to not do any of that?

JanewaysBun Tue 31-Mar-20 23:28:31

Yanbu i don't

endofthelinefinally Tue 31-Mar-20 23:28:32

You can do, or not do, whatever you like. Do your research and decide.

Mascotte Tue 31-Mar-20 23:30:25

YANBU. That way madness lies.

Plus there’s no way you’d actually manage to sterilise everything properly anyway.

Paintforkitchen Tue 31-Mar-20 23:31:32

I’m not doing it either.

AntiHop Tue 31-Mar-20 23:31:47

I've put perishables away straight away then left other things in a bag for 24 hours before putting away.

newnamewhosthis Tue 31-Mar-20 23:32:14

I seen a woman disinfect her trolly yesterday.

The whole time all I could think was the chances that she has cleaned every bar / wheel etc we're slim so what's the point

kilisibird Tue 31-Mar-20 23:34:28

When I get into the house with the shopping I just wash my hands then put it all away as normal.

I do too. I wash my hands again after touching it all to put it away.

Stefoscope Tue 31-Mar-20 23:36:33

I don't either. The past couple of deliveries I've had to the house, the driver has just passed me the parcel, I can't say it bothered me. On the other hand it's fair enough if disinfecting everything gives people the peace of mind, I can't see any harm in it.

Stet Tue 31-Mar-20 23:36:59

I'm not either. Just disposing of packaging and washing hands. It would become all consuming otherwise I think.

Tulipvase Tue 31-Mar-20 23:37:50

Not something I do either.

endofthelinefinally Tue 31-Mar-20 23:38:21

I have read the latest research and information in medical and scientific journals. I have a simple system for bringing shopping in, dealing with packaging washing fruit and veg, wiping down tins and plastics.
It takes me all of ten minutes and reduces the chance of significant amounts of virus hanging around in my cupboards and fridge.
I am happy with that, especially since it seems that level of exposure and viral load are significant.
It is a personal choice.

DramaAlpaca Tue 31-Mar-20 23:40:09

I do exactly as you do, OP.

SallyLovesCheese Tue 31-Mar-20 23:41:51

I'm not either. I got a bit panicked the other day reading a thread on here about the lengths people are going to. But I'm just washing my hands more, not touching my face when I'm out and about (until I can get home and wash my hands) and distancing myself from delivery people, strangers in the street etc.

This virus has already knocked my mental health, I think trying to disinfect everything would be the start of a slippery slope for me.

Ciwirocks Tue 31-Mar-20 23:43:19

I don’t but then I am going out to work and to the supermarket so it seems pointless. If I was highly vulnerable and stuck in the house for 12 weeks I might as I would not be exposed anywhere else

TheBananaInPyjamas Tue 31-Mar-20 23:43:54

I'm not either. I did start to today, and then had to stop, I mean I really don't have it in me to wash all of my shopping. It's so draining.

CremeEggThief Tue 31-Mar-20 23:45:41

Nope. I have obsessive tendencies and some issues around certain types of contamination that I have worked very hard to keep in check, so I can't risk going down that route again.

Crunchymum Tue 31-Mar-20 23:49:46

I bought a pressure washer and a vat load of bleach for this very reason.

I douse it all in bleach and then hit it with the hose?

Don't we all do this?

Crunchymum Tue 31-Mar-20 23:51:04

* my above post is an utter lie

TheWordmeister Tue 31-Mar-20 23:51:12

No. Wouldn't occur to me.

lakeswimmer Tue 31-Mar-20 23:55:14

Nope - not even sure how you would disinfect mail - surely it would get soggy...

Wheresthebeach Tue 31-Mar-20 23:55:30

I thought about it...but naw.

AlexaAmbidextra Tue 31-Mar-20 23:56:09

I really wouldn’t take much notice of what Mumsnetters say they do. A significant number of them are completely neurotic about germs.

YgritteSnow Tue 31-Mar-20 23:58:06

@Crunchymum grin

I leave packages and mail for 48 hours before opening. Cupboard food stuff is left in the bags for 72 hours in the hall. I wipe fridge stuff with bleach/water solution because my Mum asked me to. But that's it. It's a pain in the arse frankly.

KDMotherKfGirls Tue 31-Mar-20 23:59:19

YANBU.
Covid-19 is airborne. You could touch an infected person's arm and would still not be infected smile just wash your hands as advised and avoid touching eyes/mouth/nose etc with unwashed hands

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »