Talk

Advanced search

To think someone should scoop Katie price up to keep her safe

(104 Posts)
lunkitsmum Mon 17-Feb-20 10:47:20

In the middle of the media storm about poor Caroline Flack and Megan Markle. I can't help thinking they didn't have anywhere near the hounding and pounding down that Katie Price has had consistently and for years... Obviously don't know her from Adam but as 1 human seeing another being relentlessly bullied wonder if there shouldn't be some sort of legal injunction to stop the tabloid attacks on her?

Sparklingbrook Mon 17-Feb-20 10:49:50

I hope the press will learn lessons from recent events. TBH I haven't seen much about KP lately. She has a very strange relationship with the media.

GinDaddy Mon 17-Feb-20 10:52:05

No there shouldn't be a legal injunction, and here's why:

I don't believe Caroline Flack had certain paparazzi agencies on speed dial, and was trying to bring media attention on herself.

I believe she was a surface extrovert with a job which required her to be "out there", but actually she was in a lot of torment. And when she was in said torment, the press would relentlessly run negative articles because Madonna/whore complex, weird fascination with single sexually confident woman living her life, etc.

Katie Price on the other hand - she actually MAKES money from the negative coverage and at times I firmly believe she encourages it in order to get some kind of pity or hate "narrative" going about some part of her life. Otherwise, why have columns about her, or coverage, or TV or anything?

She profits and exists as a media personality due to stories about her life, and these are stories she has actively encouraged - she plays the villain to get more work, more coverage, more money.

Don't get me wrong, it's a deal with the Devil so to speak as the press won't do her any favours just because she courts it, and I worry hugely for her mental health and identity as a result.

But they are two different things and should not be conflated. May Caroline Flack RIP.

ElderAve Mon 17-Feb-20 10:52:11

I can't pretend to understand how these things work and I certainly wouldn't want their lives but isn't Katie Price's whole life's work and wealth based on courting media attention?

Sparklingbrook Mon 17-Feb-20 10:57:56

It has been fascinating/alarming to read some of the things posted on MN since Saturday. Everybody seems to think they know exactly what is going on in a celebrity's life, but the truth is nobody really does.

GinDaddy Mon 17-Feb-20 10:59:36

@ElderAve

Exactly this. Her product isn't her presenting skills like Flack's profession. Her product is appearing in a newspaper having had her licence taken away. Her product is stories about her exes denying her permission to use their children in photoshoots. Etc etc..

Caroline Flack had been a presenter for almost two decades and that was her profession. It was one where the British press did that awful, antediluvian thing they do where they find a woman who is enjoying her dating life with hot men, and run some pretty cruel stories in an attempt to paint her out as something curtain-twitchers can comment on etc.

Did she have a public Instagram? Of course - was commensurate with her position.

KP is a completely different entity with a completely different operating model.

Hingeandbracket Mon 17-Feb-20 11:01:42

YABU Mental health interventions shouldn't be reserved for people on TV or twitter - they should be for everyone.

Crystal87 Mon 17-Feb-20 11:06:26

It wouldn't affect everyone in the same way. Someone who has serious mental health issues would be affected more than someone who hasn't. That's not to say someone without mental health problems wouldn't be impacted negatively but they probably wouldn't go to the same lengths.

RasberryRoyale Mon 17-Feb-20 11:10:03

KP is a totally different situation and public persona. KP needs the press and the tabloid journalists to write about her. Caroline didn’t.

LadyGuffers Mon 17-Feb-20 11:13:50

Katie Price needing the press to survive is like an alchoholic needing drink.

It doesn't mean it is good for either them. Nor does it mean the 'need' isn't infuenced by poor mental health and wellbeing. It is both cause and effect and is providing a way for both types of addicts to contually hurt themselves.

GabsAlot Mon 17-Feb-20 11:21:15

she invites them though she hasnt got a talent how do you think she makes money these days

funny how theyre always there when shes on holiday/out for the night

Bezalelle Mon 17-Feb-20 11:23:29

"Scoop her up"? What does that even mean? She's not a toddler.

BecauseReasons Mon 17-Feb-20 11:24:45

Scoop her up and keep her safe? A tad patronising, don't you think? She should be legally able to seek an injunction, yes. But I don't think she actually would, even if the option were available to her.

PurpleDaisies Mon 17-Feb-20 11:28:45

What would “scooping her up and keeping her safe” actually mean in practice?

BillHadersNewWife Mon 17-Feb-20 11:29:04

YANBU. She's been on a serious downward spiral for a few months now.

She's properly bankrupt and having to troll round the country giving makup tutorials at eighty quid a ticket to make money.

Her reality show is due for another season but she's not only heavily in debt but she's definitely suffering from mental health issues and perhaps some sort of addiction.

A while back she was faking paparazzi shots on her driveway.

The party's over but she's sticking round for the last few drinks it would seem.

Her Mother has a life limiting illness, she's got a child with very complex needs and that would put anyone under pressure.

Sparklingbrook Mon 17-Feb-20 11:32:12

So a thread expressing worry about a celebrity is jumped on by people wanting to put the boot in. Interesting.

AutumnRose1 Mon 17-Feb-20 11:34:22

Easier to stop buying or reading trash that attacks people.

jessycake Mon 17-Feb-20 11:39:35

Whereas in the past I would agree about Katie price , It was a co-dependent relationship . I think she is more desperate and fragile than her feisty character shows.
I think there is a difference now and they are revelling in her decline . She may well have brought some of it on herself but she is also a mum and it must be painful to watch for her older children and terminally ill mum .

BillHadersNewWife Mon 17-Feb-20 11:42:54

Sparkling Exactly. Katie Price isn't 'talentless' as people are always saying.

She actually has a very good business mind...she's spent a lot that;s for sure and I do think she's got addiction problems which have made her vulnerable.

mrsBtheparker Mon 17-Feb-20 11:46:21

What else does Price do but get her face in the papers? If they stopped taking notice what would she do for a living?

If she 'has addictions' then her 'vulnerability' is her choice.
It's a case of Heads I win, Tails you lose for many people.

Sparklingbrook Mon 17-Feb-20 11:47:29

Some posters on here seem very sure of everything that goes on behind closed doors in a celebrity's life.

FfsCanNotCope Mon 17-Feb-20 11:48:02

I like KP (Also liked CF). And the latest news has got me thinking about all that KP has gone through.

I think though that KP relies on media attention to make her money. The content of the majority of her reality shows are a response to media backlash.

Frothybothie Mon 17-Feb-20 11:48:13

What about the other Katie who is likely to have issues - Katie Hopkins?

10FrozenFingers Mon 17-Feb-20 11:48:14

The reason all her problems are splashed all over the papers is because she rings them up to tell them. Sometimes posing as "a friend".

Time her exes had full custody of those poor children.

ElderAve Mon 17-Feb-20 11:49:38

None of the celebrities are talentless, they're all very accomplished in their chosen field

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »