Talk

Advanced search

To think no adult kids would agree to pay this!

(420 Posts)
Cruelstepmother Mon 10-Jun-19 23:51:39

Just found this 'how much rent could you charge your kids' calculator! www.comparethemarket.com/home-insurance/content/pa-rental/ - they suggested my cuckoo-back-in-the-nest stepson should be paying us £593.80 a month. What are your views?

category12 Tue 11-Jun-19 07:07:50

It's clearly nonsensical. It would be charging my dd over half the utility bills and a massive chunk of the rent.

I agree with pp who said "it's a great site for people who hate their children". Surely the whole point of your adult children staying at home is to help give them a leg-up, not charge them market rate.

Plus it doesn't ask enough information to get a true picture - it's a blunt instrument.

isabellerossignol Tue 11-Jun-19 07:08:52

Mine says £598 per month. Which is almost twice as much as our mortgage repayment, so we'd be on a nice little earner if we had adult children and charged them that much rent...

OhMyDarling Tue 11-Jun-19 07:11:16

It’s interesting... I have 3 dd’s for whom I have never got maintenance as their dad doesn’t work so he won’t have to pay. If he did he would only pay like £6 a week? Which quite frankly is insulting.
Previously a CM calculator showed that he would have paid £250 a month (total, nlt per child) based on the last wage he wasn’t about 5 years ago- he has been unemployed since.

This calculator says £710 (each?).
Why the discrepancy?!
£250 in CM until they finish education but £710 the minute they graduate?

The world hates us single parents!

IHopeYouStepOnALegoPiece Tue 11-Jun-19 07:11:41

Currently living with my parents, I give them £250 a month...that calculator suggests £910 a month which is more then the rent of the house I’m moving into next month! Jesus!

IHopeYouStepOnALegoPiece Tue 11-Jun-19 07:12:04

Sorry, it’s suggests £977.08pm!

Faithless12 Tue 11-Jun-19 07:12:50

The calculations are out. The contributions to gas and electricity are roughly what I pay in total, gas i pay about 10% more and electricity I pay exactly £1.50 more a month than the contribution DC would be making. If I had 2 DC I would be making money on this arrangement not just covering costs.

DC is very much a child so no chance of charging him rent although interesting if this is what they reckon he costs me then child support should recognise that.

Faithless12 Tue 11-Jun-19 07:15:41

@OhMyDarling this is something I’ve been saying for years. We know how much it costs to bring a child up. The NRP should have to pay half even if they are paying forever.

TheJoxter Tue 11-Jun-19 07:17:42

I got £594. When I was living at home I paid £100/week so £433 a month but it was a council property so rent was a lot cheaper than average.

TeenTimesTwo Tue 11-Jun-19 07:21:39

£664.80
I think a number of people above missed the could not should be charging.
It's about the 'going rate' for round here, in terms of rent + bills.

DD1 wants to move in with her BF. We have said they both need ~£500 a month spare to afford to, because 1 bedroom flats are £600 / month round here.

PonderingPanda Tue 11-Jun-19 07:22:24

Just done mine. It says gas and electricity combined was over £100. I don't pay that now for 3 of us!

Trebla Tue 11-Jun-19 07:22:39

You could be charging 677.80

That's twice the mortgage and the gas bill!!!!

I've got 4 kids - I need never work again........

smallereveryday Tue 11-Jun-19 07:23:34

I just found the 'strap line' Have a look and see how much you could charge your adult children.. the whole concept of parents wanting to see how much they could get away with is unbelievably distasteful.

Surely parents want to help their children as much as possible. Some parents are lucky, have high incomes and no mortgage.. or low outgoings and can afford to host the children for free. That's great if you are in the position to do that .

However there is absolutely nothing wrong with charging AC a reasonable rent - but surely reasonable ends at the point where you 'profit ' from them being there. So if you are already paying rent /own house for a property with spare bedrooms and had no intention of moving - then reasonable is an equitable share of utilities and council tax.

If the intention was to get a smaller place to save your rental expense - then the difference between the existing place plus the utilities- is fair.

The moment you profit from your children- your moral compass is screwed.

VeganSteve Tue 11-Jun-19 07:24:42

Ha, it makes our kids pay the whole gas/electric bill each!

Aroundtheworldin80moves Tue 11-Jun-19 07:26:52

For our rental house... £580.
Our tenants pay £600... And it's three double bedrooms.
Obviously they pay bills on top of that but I don't think it adds up to £1760 for the 1 adult and two teenagers that live there!

Nousernameforme Tue 11-Jun-19 07:34:43

£601 haha with four dc i am never letting them leave that's my retirement plan right there .

Seriously though i don't think anyone could save up to ever move out at these prices.

fairweathercyclist Tue 11-Jun-19 07:36:55

The one time I had a decent summer job while at uni I earned around £140 a week and paid my my mum about £25 a week I think (for 10 weeks).

And another time I had a 2 week holiday job and earned around the same and the family friends I stayed with near London charged me about £20 a week "keep".

Loveislandaddict Tue 11-Jun-19 07:38:18

Just done mine. The gas and electricity price is only a fraction under my total power costs!

SnuggyBuggy Tue 11-Jun-19 07:38:25

I guess if you never want your child to have the chance to move out this would be OK.

My DP wouldn't even accept the 10% of salary that was more normal when I was 21. They wanted me to be able to save for a deposit and my DDad is from a culture where parents don't like to take money from their children.

rwalker Tue 11-Jun-19 07:39:01

Another £580 here looking at the breakdown of charge
food ok
gas\elec it's what we pay in total for every one
we own our hose so wouldn't want any contrubution for that
charge ds £130 worked this out just to cover food really . Lol he thinks he's over charged .
what we have done is put this in bank for him just over 2k in there will give it him back at some point towards a deposit if he bought a house not told him that though he has no idea .

Ali1cedowntherabbithole Tue 11-Jun-19 07:39:03

£641grin gringrin

Though as DH has just pointed out, it’s a good negotiating tactic for parents who only want a third of that!

TinyPaws Tue 11-Jun-19 07:40:56

This calculator is clearly bollocks, the suggested rent is more than the market value for renting a room and suggested bills are more than my entire energy bill!

crispysausagerolls Tue 11-Jun-19 07:41:13

730£ for mine - I think it’s such a mean thing to do though

Parky04 Tue 11-Jun-19 07:41:14

£698! Do not ask for anything but they buy and cook their own food, do their own washing and ironing, keep their room clean and help with household chores. My DS is becoming very domesticated!

Redcrayons Tue 11-Jun-19 07:41:37

£731 x 2 DCs. Kerching! Can't wait for them to leave school now grin

I don't know about going rate for rent round here but the gas and elec is my total monthly bil, so that's too high. £95 a month on food for a sporty teen boy sounds about right though.

ZaZathecat Tue 11-Jun-19 07:46:08

I charge my DC nothing because: their salary is low, we don't need it, it allows them to save for the future. If we were struggling, I would charge a suitable amount that they could afford and would cover their keep - not try to profit from them.

gatsby2019 Tue 11-Jun-19 07:47:00

Far too high, its £300 a month more than my partner pays me, and I'm happy with what my partner contributes

WeirdCatLady Tue 11-Jun-19 07:50:21

583.32 but 93.00 of that is food - they’ve obviously never had to feed dd grin

fleshmarketclose Tue 11-Jun-19 07:52:01

£585 which is pretty much what I pay in rent, utilities and food for the three of us. In fact their figures for gas and electric is higher than my monthly direct debit.

stucknoue Tue 11-Jun-19 07:53:55

£540 here, but that would rent you a place on the open market (going rate for a room is about £65 a week) so no idea how they estimate so high.

ElderMillenial Tue 11-Jun-19 07:56:12

Was this designed by a parent trying to prove an unreasonable point to their child?

My post code says £611. Calculation for gas and electricity almost covers our monthly bill so that's unfair and out mortgage is only 800 so we wouldn't charge our child(ren) anything like this. I thought standard was £50 a week if you choose to charge...

Iwantacookie Tue 11-Jun-19 07:56:48

£532 yet my rent per month isn't even that much!
If I charged them that much (Not that they are old enough yet)
Ide loose all my benefits.
A child surely cannot be expected to support its parents like that?

AintNobodyHereButUsChickens Tue 11-Jun-19 07:59:46

£608!! It's double our mortgage 😂😂

RedSkyLastNight Tue 11-Jun-19 07:59:50

Don't understand how those numbers are calcurated. Based on my postcode, £450 would be rent, and yet you can rent a 1 bed flat nearby for less.
You could also rent a (probably nicer) room in someone else's house as a lodger for less than the rent alone here, and that would be with all bills included.

I'd only be charging my adult children those costs if I was trying to get rid of them.

Luzina Tue 11-Jun-19 08:04:03

I put my postcode in and got £457. Before i bought my current house i rented a large 2 bed flat for £425pm. You can rent a really nice 3 bed for £600pm here, sometimes less. (Yes i know rent is cheap here, im in Humberside and everything is cheap but wages are very low)

Hazlenutpie Tue 11-Jun-19 08:04:13

I think adults should be paying their way and not sponging off their parents. They should definitely be encouraged to move out.

GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman Tue 11-Jun-19 08:07:42

I think that calculator overestimates, based on what I know about student room rents in Scotland.

Bluerussian Tue 11-Jun-19 08:13:04

£670.08 for where I live. Can't imagine charging anything like that for an adult child still living at home. Surely the point of staying there is to save money for own place and not have to worry about rent and bills.

I doubt many parents will take notice of any of that.

Babyduck2 Tue 11-Jun-19 08:14:29

£532, My rent is only £312 p/m.
Roll on the kids turning 18, we will be rolling in it grin

I'm gonna send this to my sister who kicks up a fuss at paying £50 p/w to parents for rent, bills and all her food!

herculepoirot2 Tue 11-Jun-19 08:18:31

Load of rubbish. £700 for our house. They’d be in the box room!

GhostIsAGoodBoi Tue 11-Jun-19 08:23:18

£574. My rent is £600 grin and I have no adult DC.

Hopefully by the time they’re adults I’ll own a house...

Pigflewpast Tue 11-Jun-19 08:24:42

Timely as my dd is returning after university this month, and dd2 has started full time work this month, so we were discussing this.
The calculator says £500 pm near enough. Dd1 is going to be working in her old part time job until she gets a graduate post, so not earning much yet but then hopefully on a good income. Dd2 will earn around £800pm full time.
Dd1 is a saver, she will scrimp to save a deposit for a house, which is why she’s moving home rather than staying in her university city, though she’d love to live there later.
Dd2 spends whatever money she has and runs out each month.
We’ve always said we will charge rent, but they don’t know that it’s going to go into saving accounts for them.
So, is it fair to charge the higher earning one more, once she’s earning, or both the same? And if you’re only earning £800pm with little chance of that increasing, how can you ever afford to move out?

Pigflewpast Tue 11-Jun-19 08:27:30

Hazelnut whilst I agree with you I don’t see how my dd will be able to move out on £800pm. Hopefully I’m wrong and loads of posters will tell me it’s easy

Peachesandcream14 Tue 11-Jun-19 08:27:39

Apparently £895 is what I would owe, and I come with DD in tow. I currently live with them and they won't let me pay them a penny, which is lucky when we have less than £100 a week to live on for the foreseeable.

Isitweekendyet Tue 11-Jun-19 08:28:16

Who calculates this shite?! Poor DS’s rent comes out at nearly £600 and that’s nearly our mortgage payment.

TanMateix Tue 11-Jun-19 08:30:36

I have seen so many late twenty-somethings who live and are fed by the parents while using their salaries as pocket money. Lovely mega expensive clothes, plenty of nights out in trendy places, no savings and some even have debts.

Although I agree the calculator’s figures are too high, I don’t see why the house and food expenses shouldn’t be split in equal measure between all the earning people living in the house. That is not treating them as lodgers but treating them as Adults and helping them learn to be responsible and most importantly REALISTIC about their income.

No point going around like a petulant yuppie when mom and dad are picking the bill even if earning far less than the offspring.

BlueSkiesLies Tue 11-Jun-19 08:31:15

Wow nearly £600! That’s what I charge my actual lodger...

BlueSkiesLies Tue 11-Jun-19 08:31:55

And also the amount it suggests for gas and electricity contribution are more than my total gas and electric bills!!

LemonBreeland Tue 11-Jun-19 08:32:39

Apparently £532 for me. Eldest DC is only 16 but looked for the future.

Breakdown is £345 in rent. My mortgage is only £380 per month.

I'm all for DCpaying their way and absolutely will charge once they are earning, but that calculator is ridiculous. It seems to expect my DC to pay my mortgage for me.

Ladymargarethall Tue 11-Jun-19 08:34:32

If I charged the £611 suggested DS would never save any money to move out.

bruffin Tue 11-Jun-19 08:34:50

Mine comes out at £698.
Ds pays £50 a week going up to £55 (,he just got a rise)
He is saving up for a deposit and wouldnt be able to if we charged him £700 a month.

IceRebel Tue 11-Jun-19 08:35:18

I have seen so many late twenty-somethings who live and are fed by the parents while using their salaries as pocket money

I don't recognise this at all. Late teens, early 20s perhaps. However, I would wager that the majority of those who are still living at home in their late 20s, are doing so because they are desperately saving for a house deposit.

DoneLikeAKipper Tue 11-Jun-19 08:37:48

I think it’s a ridiculous overestimate. According to that analysis, mine should be paying enough to cover the mortgage, council tax and 80% of the gas/electric bill. Time to send them up the chimneys and take early retirement grin.

Firstimpressionsofearth Tue 11-Jun-19 08:38:25

It doesn't work. I did my mum's house which is a big detached and it was £750. I did my terrace house it it was only £100 less.

It said I should charge my child more in gas and electric than I pay for my duel fuel!

BruceAndNosh Tue 11-Jun-19 08:42:39

£720
Obviously, I'm not going to charge them that.

I'll just chuck them out and let their room to someone else for £750

Tensixtysix Tue 11-Jun-19 08:44:47

Back in the early 90s I had to give 30% of my wages to my parents and be a taxi service (they didn't drive), I paid for all insurance, tax and fuel.
I still had to do my own laundry, cook and clean my room.
It was cheaper to move out!

LondonJax Tue 11-Jun-19 08:45:26

£633 here. I think, though, it depends on the rest of their outgoings, their age and their earnings. To rent a 1 bedroom flat near the station (which is 10 miles away from our home) it would cost £650pcm. So £633 including all the bills and food is pretty good really.

BUT, it costs over £5000 for a season ticket for the train here so that'd be £400 ish per month on top of the £633 or the £650 if they were private renting. If they're just starting out a monthly take home of £1033 per month means earning something in the region of £23-£25K per year to allow for saving and going out.

Mind you my cousin did charge the going rate for her girls when they started work - in this case she'd have kept £100 a week and saved the rest (because she knew they were pretty dire at saving) so when they got to 21 they had a nice little sum saved in secret.

I don't think it does any harm to let the kids see what they 'should' be paying - then see what they can get privately for the same amount. But I won't be charging DS that if he were working now. Our mortgage will be gone when he starts work. Might agree with him an amount to help towards OUR bills plus a bit for me to save - so he's actually handing over savings money regularly instead.

CherryPavlova Tue 11-Jun-19 08:47:03

£890 - as I have just pinged our eldest £150 contribution for stag night deposit for second one with neither living at home.

crazyasafox Tue 11-Jun-19 08:51:40

What a load of utter crap. Doesn't take ANYone's income into account. The amounts that are coming up, no-one would even charge a fecking lodger!

And I would never expect mine to pay such outlandish amounts.

Good way for posters on here to brag that they have a high-value property though eh? wink

@thighofrelief101

Actually my parents charged me £650 pcm in 1990 - I only earned £800!

80% of your monthly wage, and £1500 a month in today's money?

You're kidding/taking the piss right??? wink

Horsemenoftheaclopalypse Tue 11-Jun-19 08:59:30

£754 shock
I am not sure a lodger would pay that to be honest...

amusedbush Tue 11-Jun-19 09:00:51

£891 to be living back home in that shithole village with my parents. When my mum tried to increase my digs from £180 to £220 a month I found a flatshare for £250 (inclusive of bills) and never looked back grin

I was earning £800 a month and she didn't NEED the money. One month when I was about 19 I was short as I'd been off sick and she made me sell some of my jewellery to make up the shortfall.

bonbonours Tue 11-Jun-19 09:02:47

Surely this is wrong if people are saying the amount comes up as more than the total rent for the property?

Hollowvictory Tue 11-Jun-19 09:03:26

£600 for housing, utilities and food. I think it's fine! Good value.
Being nosey how op have you and your dh never earned £40k between you? Are you both part time? As average wage is £28k per person

QueenoftheBiscuitTin Tue 11-Jun-19 09:03:28

£720?! That doesn't add up.

ChristmasFluff Tue 11-Jun-19 09:05:11

It makes no sense. My son is too young yet, but it comes out as £570 per month here, with £388 for rent. Yet next door is a four-bedroom house that rents out to four single people for a total of £850 a month all-inclusive (including Virgin TV and broadband). Much less - my son would move next door!

Oliversmumsarmy Tue 11-Jun-19 09:06:19

Mine said £698 per month

Looking at the rentals in the area I think this figure is based on if they moved out what it would cost them.

Even then I think you could still do it for cheaper.

Lovely room in a nice house with garden and a parking space nearby is only £475 per month and it includes all bills.

So definitely cheaper

pineapplebryanbrown Tue 11-Jun-19 09:09:14

Crazy nope it's true. I worked with a girl who gave her mum £20pw and moaned about it.

MondeoFan Tue 11-Jun-19 09:09:59

Just done mine and £641 per month but my daughter has a couple of years yet before she starts work

kateandme Tue 11-Jun-19 09:14:35

this is bloody stupid.and really not helpful to some people at the moment who are really struggling with this in their households at the moment.

Rezie Tue 11-Jun-19 09:15:05

I don't have kids but my (and bf) postcode came to £698.40.Our rent is £800. I guess we should have a kid and soon we don't have to work to pay rent.

JakeChambers Tue 11-Jun-19 09:15:30

My DD is 5, so I'm not sure I'll squeeze £510 out of her.

Me, my sister and brother each paid my mum £800 a month from 18 though (almost 20 years ago!), and that didn't include food.

Thegoodandbadlife Tue 11-Jun-19 09:16:31

Just under £700. More expensive to live at home then rent my flat!

JoanMavisIcecreamGirl Tue 11-Jun-19 09:17:41

£508.57!! more than our entire mortgage grin

I know it includes bills and food but that's steep!

tbh I would expect an adult child to pay something rent wise but buy their own food. I cant imagine gas and electric going up by £36 and £51 as the website suggests just for 1 extra person anyway!

thecatsthecats Tue 11-Jun-19 09:19:50

I don't have any kids, adult or otherwise, but the energy bills are surely incredibly steep?

I put in my postcode, and it gave £350 for rent (ok, seems legit, I pay £1000 on the mortgage for a 3 bed, so 1/3rd of that). Food - £93. Again, about right.

But the energy bills of £39 and £50 - we don't even pay that for the two of us!

pineapplebryanbrown Tue 11-Jun-19 09:21:27

Tbf I was a single parent to a 4 year old and they fed us both and mum drove my son to school and back.

I moved into a 2 bed flat round the corner and the rent was £750pcm (housing benefit of £300 I think). With bills, food etc I was actually better off at mum and dads.

Montybojangles Tue 11-Jun-19 09:21:28

It’s not very accurate. It seems to think rent would be only £40 less where my parents live, compared to where I am. As you could buy 3, possibly 4 houses of a similar size up there for what we’d get for ours I’m going to say it’s a load of tosh. (It also gives a cost for gas, which is interesting, as my parents area has no gas supply....).

PettyContractor Tue 11-Jun-19 09:22:49

£852 here.

The figure for utilities is far too high, but the figure for food is half what it should be, which sort of balances things out.

The overall figure is almost exactly what our neighbours each pay in rent alone for a three-bedroom/person house-share, so it's not actually excessive. (In other words, the rent bit is too low.)

WitsEnding Tue 11-Jun-19 09:22:50

The gas and electric figure is significantly higher than my direct debit, and I live in a part of the country where those costs are higher than London (because of distribution charges included).

If mine were at home I'd make them aware of the figures but only charge the 'rent' element. They can afford it though, for younger ones maybe just food and bills?

I used to save some of DS contribution in a building society account for him.

igivein Tue 11-Jun-19 09:23:44

£515 here, the rent portion of which is £342.
We have a two bed house that we rent out in the same area we live, the rent for the house is £350, so I think they're having a laugh with their numbers.

JoanMavisIcecreamGirl Tue 11-Jun-19 09:25:49

hollow lol

average wage means nothing - doesn't mean everyone earns anywhere near it!

min wage for a FT (40hr week) job is £17,076.80

Arrivederci Tue 11-Jun-19 09:26:44

Out of curiosity, did my parents postcode I moved out of many moons ago. £563.76, of which £355 is rent. Bit rich considering they only pay £425 rent!

anyoldvic Tue 11-Jun-19 09:27:53

I'm all for functioning adult kids contributing fairly if they need to live at home, but that's ridiculous, the calculations are way off.

Mammyofasuperbaby Tue 11-Jun-19 09:29:58

This is rubbish. I live in a northern colliery village and it says I could charge my son £515 per month.
We currently pay
£300 rent
£40ish on gas and electric
£160 a month on food.
He'd be paying 4 of our bills and we'd have change to spare

Yabbers Tue 11-Jun-19 09:30:34

That’s not how much you could charge them, that’s how much it would cost them to live alone. Which they aren’t doing.

Putting in my parents address, it says over 680. Rent is apparently 500 with utilities at 101. Locally a room in a shared flat is going for around 400 including bills.

Whoever made up that calculator needs to go and do some proper research.

HomeMadeMadness Tue 11-Jun-19 09:31:00

Surely the whole point of staying with parents is to save up not to pay what close to what you would for a house share.

MrsKoala Tue 11-Jun-19 09:31:31

£643 a month here. I know it's not popular on MN but I think that's fair really. About £150 a week all in. It's about 30% of what living alone would cost them and if they are adults and earning then they should be paying. If they are not earning for whatever reason then that's a different matter. But I still think that's a bargain!

thatmustbenigelwiththebrie Tue 11-Jun-19 09:32:07

These prices are ludicrous. You can rent a whole house for about £600 on my street never mind a room.

DrCoconut Tue 11-Jun-19 09:33:35

I found it quite accurate and only £4.57 off what DS1 was giving me until recently (change of circumstances). However, with more than 1 child it would be a bit CF territory. I would never charge my kids rent to live with me, especially DS1 as he has ASD and needs support but I need a contribution to costs.

GarthFunkel Tue 11-Jun-19 09:34:17

Shodan: are you my next door neighbour? Mine says exactly the same as yours (£730.80)

<yells cooeee out of window> Same here.

I have emailed this to DS grin

OhMsBeliever Tue 11-Jun-19 09:36:22

£620.80 per month. He doesn't even earn that much, though he does need to get a full time job. I've just tried demanding it but he laughed at me. The gas and electric are more than I pay a month anyway!

He mostly buys his own lunch and the occasional dinner anyway.

MrsKoala Tue 11-Jun-19 09:37:07

I based my calculations on a 1 bed/studio flat + bills. An ensuite in a shared house would be about £650/700 round here and no food included. So slightly cheaper than living alone.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 11-Jun-19 09:37:24

I used to pay my mum 70% of my wage - I did always think it was very harsh, I had little left after my bus fare, but I had nowhere else to go. Maybe she was on to something!

BlackPrism Tue 11-Jun-19 09:37:42

It suggested £790 for my address!! I only get £1,200 a month 😂😂 luckily I don't live with mum!

Hortz Tue 11-Jun-19 09:41:34

I don't charge my adult DC anything. They are saving for a house deposit.
The calculation is rubbish. Mine comes out as £450 of which £270 is "rent". I don't pay rent or mortgage so that would be just profit.
The fuel costs add up to more than I pay for the whole (large 4 bedroomed) house.
Essentially it's suggesting parents make a profit out of their children.

So many people on MN baby their DC by taking rent and "giving it back when they leave". Why not treat them like adults and teach them financial awareness and management. Get them to invest it and set them on a path of saving rather than spending everything.

MrsKoala Tue 11-Jun-19 09:41:37

I plan to air BnB the kids rooms when they are old enough to move out so if they stay and pay nothing that will be my income gone. It was always part of our plan to use the house as our retirement fund - that's why we bought it.

pineapplebryanbrown Tue 11-Jun-19 09:43:35

Going against the grain here but I do think NT kids should be making serious plans to be independent not having f/t jobs and still living off their parents. If they have a specific goal like saving for a deposit fine. But it's not on for them to be frittering and taking advantage. It's not good for them.

AleFailTrail Tue 11-Jun-19 09:44:45

I’m calling bollocks on this one. Put in both towns I live in and it says Blackpool would cost more than a nearby major city! Nope no way going on house values.

Godgivemestrengh Tue 11-Jun-19 09:46:22

Mine is 700 that's more than the mortgage a month lol

MrsKoala Tue 11-Jun-19 09:47:24

Maybe Blackpool would be more popular as a BnB holiday type destination? Maybe they take into consideration holiday type rentals too. Round here it's about £80-100 a night for a room.

ADropofReality Tue 11-Jun-19 09:49:00

Going against the grain here but I do think NT kids should be making serious plans to be independent not having f/t jobs and still living off their parents.

Adult children who are sill living with their parents aren't doing it out of malice or sponging, they're doing so because they can't afford to move out.

And if you want your adult children to live with you forever, just use this calculator! They'll be paying you 80%+ of their take-home pay and will never be able to save enough to even put down the deposit on a rented flat! You can look the other way as they pay off your mortgage, then you can blame their predicament on buying avocado toast.

Aprillygirl Tue 11-Jun-19 09:50:51

How much did you give when you were earning 800 sweetpea2811.
My daughter only earns about that, and I should be charging her 656.80 apparently. I somehow don't think she will be too happy with the 456 increase I will be charging her from today grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »