Talk

Advanced search

To think my child is a bit odd?

(108 Posts)
MixUpTheFood Thu 28-Mar-19 11:54:50

She mixes her food together before she eats it. She’s just had a pasta Bolognese for lunch, mixed the sauce in with the pasta then put cheese on it.

Yesterday at Nursery she mixed her peas in with her mash, had the sausages cut up, mixed them into the gravy then pour the gravy and sausage mix over the mash (Nursery Manager told me as she finds it funny).

She eats a good variety, isn’t overly fussy and is happy enough to eat the mixed food but won’t eat it if it’s unmixed.

AIBU to think she’s a bit odd? grin

Light-hearted btw, in case anyone needed to guess.

lastqueenofscotland Thu 28-Mar-19 11:59:19

Italians mix the sauce in properly... how else are you meant to eat it if not mixed in.

HisBetterHalf Thu 28-Mar-19 12:00:42

My OH does the same. As long as she eats it, no problem

gokartdillydilly Thu 28-Mar-19 12:01:25

One of mine does it and she's 21!!

Dementedswan Thu 28-Mar-19 12:01:46

The bolognese sauce is supposed to be mixed in with the pasta.

Does she do it with all food?

Thehop Thu 28-Mar-19 12:01:54

She does right!

BlueMerchant Thu 28-Mar-19 12:02:22

It's a lot easier than having to have foods in separate bowls/plates so they don't touch each other- and with a separate spoon for each bowl!grin

knitandpearl Thu 28-Mar-19 12:03:08

Mine is 4 and currently likes to squash all the food down with his fork 'to make a pizza' hmm

MixUpTheFood Thu 28-Mar-19 12:03:54

Yes all food is mixed, she even stirs her cereal before eating it!

Moanymoaner123 Thu 28-Mar-19 12:04:02

Most children seem to object if anything is touching another food, but my DD is like yours, but mostly because she loves mixing anything and everything

3out Thu 28-Mar-19 12:04:11

I used to like mixing my food all together, but our own kids won’t allow any item of food to touch another. Beans go in a separate bowl etc.
I don’t think your dd is odd, but she does probably stand out a bit at nursery where so many of that age group like to eat everything individually and without ‘contamination’ ;)

Amongstthetallgrass Thu 28-Mar-19 12:04:56

She mixes her food together before she eats it. She’s just had a pasta Bolognese for lunch, mixed the sauce in with the pasta then put cheese on it

Eer that’s how you should do it...

Dementedswan Thu 28-Mar-19 12:09:04

I bet she's doing it so she can bypass the hassle of eating with a knife and fork. One pile of mush is easier to eat. She's got it sussed grin

FriarTuck Thu 28-Mar-19 12:11:55

The bolognese sauce is supposed to be mixed in with the pasta.
she even stirs her cereal before eating it
Both of these!!!!! Or have I been doing it wrong all my life (tries to work out how to keep the milk and cereal separate)

DustyMaiden Thu 28-Mar-19 12:12:02

Pasta is that shape to hold the sauce. I’d quite like to do that with my dinner, I don’t because I’m too old for that, she will grow out of it.

SnowyAlpsandPeaks Thu 28-Mar-19 12:13:11

I’m 38, mix all my spag Bol and cheese, I too like mixing my peas with my mash, I also stir my cereal before eating. I also eat out on a regular basis, and can eat ‘properly’ without making a scene. Your dd’s fine, she’s normal!

Knittedfairies Thu 28-Mar-19 12:21:31

How else are you supposed to eat pasta and sauce?

NutElla5x Thu 28-Mar-19 12:22:18

I think you're the odd one if you find what you're daughter does abnormal. Who eats the sauce separate from the pasta? shock

ItsAllGone19 Thu 28-Mar-19 12:23:46

I've just clicked on a thread that thinks I'm odd...and I'm not the person in question grin

I had no idea that mixing your food in together was an odd thing to do, I must have either incredibly polite friends and colleagues or they are just as odd as me.

AvonBarksdale99 Thu 28-Mar-19 12:24:58

My mum does this (mixing) and she's 60 odd!

I always used to eat things very strictly separate, but I like to do a cheeky little fork-combine of foods now every now and then

AnotherOneBitesTheDust Thu 28-Mar-19 12:26:30

31 and I do this....i also squash down food with a fork 😂

Gatehouse77 Thu 28-Mar-19 12:26:44

Nah, one of mine is odd because she eats it all separately! Veg, then carbs, then meat - even with a stir-fry!

chestnut9 Thu 28-Mar-19 12:27:31

My husband is Italian and finds the way Brits eat spag bol (i.e. pasta on the bottom, sauce on top) EXTREMELY weird and wrong.

Your daughter is eating pasta correctly!

ILoveMaxiBondi Thu 28-Mar-19 12:29:32

Are you telling me there are weirdos out there who dont mix their sauce into their pasta?? shock so they’re eating sauceless pasta at some points in the meal?

WisdomOfCrowds Thu 28-Mar-19 12:32:01

This is so funny. I always think my partner is odd for eating things separately. Like if he has a roast dinner he'll eat all the veg, then all the potatoes, then all the meat, whereas I'll put a bit of everything on my fork. I've always mixed my sauce into my pasta, I thought everyone did. I don't physically mash other foods together (unless it's jacket potatoes and topping) but I eat my food together not in separate pieces.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: